September 23, 2017, 05:52:49 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. 49ers Game Day Thread  (Read 47066 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v. 49ers Game Day Thread
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »
Its time to get serious. Its time for revenge. Its time to put up or shut up. Real football at last!
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. 49ers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
A lot to consider. The OL, the running game, the health of Cobb and Williams. Crosby. The backup TEs. Ross on kickoff returns. And this just scratches the surface. Not to mention I have a new "lucky game day" T-shirt.   

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
This is going to be a real tough game for us to win IMO. Their defense is as good as it gets and our line is an unknown at this point with the rook at LT. Aldon Smith and Justin Smith could make for a long day for Bakhtiari.

I like our defenses chances to do a much better job against them though. If Lacy gives us enough in the run game to make those linebackers take one false step on play action, Finley could have a big game down the seam as their safties are suspect.

Could come down to a FG, which scares the living daylights out of me.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
I really hope Burnett, Heyward and Brad Jones are over their hamstring injuries in time.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »
I really hope Burnett, Heyward and Brad Jones are over their hamstring injuries in time.

From the initial reports I think it's safe to assume Jones will play, Hayward, probably plays and Burnett is more of a question.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline RobD

• All Pro
  • www.jsonline.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
This will be a rough game. I think the 49ers beat us again, but it wont be as bad as last eyar. Should be closer. I wish we played them later in the year as the Packers will probably start out a little slow and get better later on. These first 5 games are going to be a pretty difficult stretch. Will be nice to see the regular season games finally though.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »
This will be a rough game. I think the 49ers beat us again, but it wont be as bad as last eyar. Should be closer. I wish we played them later in the year as the Packers will probably start out a little slow and get better later on. These first 5 games are going to be a pretty difficult stretch. Will be nice to see the regular season games finally though.

Agreed...  first 5 are very tough, I can see a lot of people getting off the bandwagon early this season potentially.  If Packers go 3-2 in first 5 games that would be good start...  4 of the games are vs playoff teams last year with 3 of them on the road.

Offline eX Oh

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »
There have been a small handful of games where MM came in and gameplanned old-school, running the ball almost every down.  I remember this against the Bears once, and against NE until they exploited Colledge to put a stop to it.  Wilfork rag-dolled him 3 plays in a row and trashed the backfield.  It was sad.

If successful this would take a lot of pressure off of our new OTs and get the 49ers D on their heels.  If not, we may not be able to put many receivers in the pattern if we need help at one or both sides, and the O will be stifled.

I know preseason hasn't made our run offense look special, but a lot of that was vanilla stuff and no gameplanning.  I am still optimistic.  For now.

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:01:26 PM »
If we can run the ball, and force them to honor the run, that would bode well for us...
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
If we can run the ball, and force them to honor the run, that would bode well for us...

True. But look what happened against Seattle. SF is in the same strata of defense. Rodgers is going to have to establish a rhythm early- use the pass to set up the run. Also, will AR option out of running plays? We'll finally see what the OL and Lacy can do in a real game, with stunts and schemes, etc.

By the way, has anyone else heard about the SF punter claiming he has a "knuckleball" punt? Read it on PFT a few days ago. Sounds like mind games.

Offline GreenBlood

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 12:47:31 AM »

True. But look what happened against Seattle. SF is in the same strata of defense.

What happened against Seattle is irrelevant.  Graham Harrell won't be our QB.  Seattle stacked 8-9 in the box because Harrell represented no threat.  If SF wants to try that to stop Lacy, Rodgers will slice them to shreds.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »
Its time to get serious. Its time for revenge. Its time to put up or shut up. Real football at last!

and we'll be ready!!

Tuesday DirecTV gets installed and we'll have the Sunday Ticket to make sure we get ALL the Packer games this year.

clap) popcorn)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »
From the initial reports I think it's safe to assume Jones will play, Hayward, probably plays and Burnett is more of a question.

Well, both Jones and Burnett returned to practice today.  The only one not practicing was Hayward.  I have to imagine he'll be, to use a McCarthyism, "stretched" to play against the 49ers.  Given that, Hyde will probably be the slot corner. 

During McCarthy's presser today, someone on the beat asked about injuries, and McCarthy turned to a staff member and attempted to confirm that injury-related information would not have to be released until Wednesday.  The staff member didn't seem to be paying attention.  McCarthy was a bit irked by that, but in a "jeez, come on" way.  It was the best part of the presser.

Anyway, I agree that this will be a very difficult game for the Packers.  And as others have noted, the start to the season is rather brutal.  A 1-2 start seems quite possible.

There are a few key matchups.  The obvious is how well the offensive line holds up against the 49ers' spectacular front seven.  The Smiths throwing stunts and crashing down on Bakhtiari give me concern.  The good thing for the Packers is that they have more of a running threat than they've had before.  In addition, if the line holds up and if Lacy does pose a credible threat, then Rodgers should be able to exploit what I consider to be a vastly overrated secondary (aside from wide receiver, it's the 49ers' biggest weakness).  The 49ers' secondary is comprised of big hitters and sure tacklers, but they're not very good in coverage.

Interestingly, the Packers' offense is quite different from the 49ers':  the Packers use the pass to set up the run, whereas the 49ers use the run to set up the pass.  There are reasons for that, too:  the 49ers have a good running back and offensive line but below average receivers, while the Packers have a terrible offensive line and great receivers (the jury is still out on the running back but there's reason for optimism).

The Packers' defense should be better overall and more prepared for Kaepernick and the read option.  If the Packers' defense can generate a pass rush on the 49ers' very good offensive line, then the Packers have a great chance to win the game.  But they also need to contain:  getting pressure just gives Kaepernick reason to leave the pocket, where he's just as dangerous.

Turnovers are always important, but this feels like a matchup wherein they'll weigh more heavily on the outcome of the game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:21:54 PM by big ror »
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline packlaw

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »
You can't ask for a better opening game.  Two storied franchises one with thee quarterback of the NFL and the other with the up and coming challenger.  San Fran's strong running game against our strong passing game...the difference offensively, will our run game open our passing game. The key to the game is our defense.  Will the fact Perry is healthy and our DL is more stout with Jolly be able to pressure their qb and stop the run.  If San Fran is forced to pass to win, our dbs should be able to handle their receivers...it will be close game and a litmus test for our defense...our defense will determine if the Pack is Super Bowl material...

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
Well, both Jones and Burnett returned to practice today.  The only one not practicing was Hayward.

That is good news about Burnett.

Was there any more information on Bakhtiari and KC preseason game if he had injury, someone in the game thread posted he had injury... I did not think he had any injury from rewatching, but have never heard either way since and even saw Vic question if he had injury in his column the day afterwards.