November 19, 2017, 10:08:11 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. 49ers Game Day Thread  (Read 50634 times)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. 49ers Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
I have little faith in the Packers winning this game. 

*Rodgers has played sparingly in the preseason with Cobb or Nelson.  Going up against a top D in the league.
*Two tackles that are pretty shabby or inexperienced protecting Rodgers from that front seven. 
*I know it was preseason doesnt matter but this offense was among the worst in the league in scoring, if not the worst.  It will improve over the season but I dont think it comes opening night, or very quickly. 

*We have a soft defense, the niner OL pushed it around the past two times we played.  The Niners arent a offensive juggernaut but we make them look like one. If the Packers have become tougher, we'll find out.  Kaepernick needs to be pounded at every chance, keep it clean, but he needs his teeth rattled on the read option every time.     
*Who is going to cover Vernon Davis?  and dont say a linebacker please.
* 9 months to think about it and do something.  These first two weeks vs Kaepernick and RG3 are going to be Dom Capers fork in the road. If those guys go off, it will be the start of Capers job status for the entire season IMO.

I wish this game was later in the season but it is what it is.     

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:14 AM »
Also, I have it on good authority that this team is a joke.

I just watched the SB again. I remember the playoff game. SF's game plan is obvious: they're going to try to score with us, or at least not fall too far behind for the first half, then in the second half they're going to try to prove their team is better conditioned than ours. Last year it was. And the Ravens barely held on for a win; give that game another 7 minutes and I think SF wins. Crabtree was huge in the SB, but he won't be so big in our game. . .

Our game plan is also obvious: on defense we're going to try to hold Kaepernick in the pocket and force him to beat us with his arm and WRs. No Crabtree, which I believe is huge. On offense we're going to try to run up 24 points in the first half and then hang on for the second half onslaught, hopefully scoring another 14 or so in the 2nd half. This game will not be won with 24 points.

We're going to play the option fast - the unblocked guy is going to head straight for Kaepernick every time to see if he can make good decisions under pressure. We're also going to try to hit him a lot. The Vikings are going to play the option slow - the unblocked guy studder steps mask his intent and force Keapernick to think. The theory is he has great instincts but isn't necessarily such a great thinker. We'll know in a few weeks which works better I suppose. And the rest of the NFL will be watching closely, especially the hags, who get them week 2.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 07:17:28 AM »
Kaepernick is overhyped. The media is drooling over the guy based largely on what he did against the Packers. Does anyone else remember the SF v. Seattle game late last season? The Seahawks annihilated the 9ers. Kaepernick has started 10 regular season games. To me, he's Joe Flacco with some speed. Until he puts together a few very good seasons, I'll be maintaining this position. Teams now have some film to study, and have had a lot of time to analyze his strengths/weaknesses, and scheme for ways to stop him. So, Colin, you can kiss my... bicep.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:13 AM »
Kaepernick is overhyped. The media is drooling over the guy based largely on what he did against the Packers. Does anyone else remember the SF v. Seattle game late last season? The Seahawks annihilated the 9ers. Kaepernick has started 10 regular season games. To me, he's Joe Flacco with some speed. Until he puts together a few very good seasons, I'll be maintaining this position. Teams now have some film to study, and have had a lot of time to analyze his strengths/weaknesses, and scheme for ways to stop him. So, Colin, you can kiss my... bicep.

Don't bet the ranch on Kaepernick not being a top NFL QB. We watched him grow and mature through his college career at the U of NV - Reno.

There is a reason he was drafted as high as he was and it's not media hype. Actually what I remember from draft time was that the national media didn't start talking about him until the combine when they saw him perform and then started asking teams 'who is this guy'?

Did you watch him this preseason? You can see that he has already progressed and is an accepted leader on his team. The last preseason game he played 1 series which produced a passing TD.

Of course playing time will tell but again I would not bet the ranch against Colin.

If I remember right some were not so convinced AR would succeed as a top QB in the NFL. AR knew he would and I think CK believes that also.

Oh...his favorite NFL player & team growing up?

Heres a natural segue who is your favorite NFL quarterback?
 CK: Of all-time, I would say Brett Favre. I was a Packers fan growing up, and just to see the way he played the game and how excited he was about it all the time, hes my favorite.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »
Of course playing time will tell but again I would not bet the ranch against Colin.

If I remember right some were not so convinced AR would succeed as a top QB in the NFL. AR knew he would and I think CK believes that also.

Yeah... I am not betting against him either at this point.  Time will tell.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »
Matthews give up the game plan for the read option. Not to toot my own horn, but I was saying this a few months ago that the way DC's were going to get teams to stop using it was by killing the QB. By the way according to the rules the QB is like any other player when they are carrying out a fake after handing the ball off. Translation, you can hit them and we ought to go to extremes to make sure it hurts. Might as well paint a bullseye on Kaepernick's back, cause our defenders have been given a green light to hit him when they get close to him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237687/article/clay-matthews-green-bay-packers-plan-hit-the-qb
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »
yup, that's what I was saying about playing the option fast. The Vikings will put relatively few hits on Kaepernick. But I agree with the Packers on this: owners simply will not put their $100m QB out there in the face of repeated big hits.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »
Matthews give up the game plan for the read option. Not to toot my own horn, but I was saying this a few months ago that the way DC's were going to get teams to stop using it was by killing the QB. By the way according to the rules the QB is like any other player when they are carrying out a fake after handing the ball off. Translation, you can hit them and we ought to go to extremes to make sure it hurts. Might as well paint a bullseye on Kaepernick's back, cause our defenders have been given a green light to hit him when they get close to him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237687/article/clay-matthews-green-bay-packers-plan-hit-the-qb

Well, not exactly.  The QB still gets protection via the "unnecessary roughness" call- so if he hands off to Gore, and backs away from the crashing defender, the crashing defender can't hit him legally.  Would hate to lose a guy like Matthews to suspension due to Goodell's post game review.

The other thing with the hit the QB plan is that when Baltimore tried it in the Superbowl, they left large cutback lanes for Gore.  Besides, Kaepernick is just too quick to get shots on him all that often.  If he exposes himself, by all means crush him.  He won't expose himself that often.

The best way to stop the 49ers is to use the big bodies- Jolly, Raji, Wilson and stop the dive with Gore.  That way the edge players like Perry and Matthews can contain Kaepernick.  The other important issue is gap control on the pass rush as Kaepernick gets big yards scrambling when Iupati hooks the DE and pushes them towards the center creating a huge running lane.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »
If the QB is carrying out a fake in the read option, you can legally drill him and the Packers will. Those people who will be responsible for that are Perry and Matthews and those are not the 'cutback' lanes. In order to stop any offense you have to maintain discipline. It everybody takes care of their gap, there are no cutback lanes and you can still get a lick on the QB if he carrys out the fake.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »
If the QB is carrying out a fake in the read option, you can legally drill him and the Packers will. Those people who will be responsible for that are Perry and Matthews and those are not the 'cutback' lanes. In order to stop any offense you have to maintain discipline. It everybody takes care of their gap, there are no cutback lanes and you can still get a lick on the QB if he carrys out the fake.

That all sounds great, but in the super bowl Gore cut right in behind the OLB going after Kaepernick.  Your right, if the pay attention to their gap there is no lane.  Going after Kaepernick pulled them out of position.

Kaepernick really doesn't run the fake after the hand off much.  He uses the threat of the run to freeze the edge guy and hands it off.  By the time the handoff occurs he already has the response he's looking for.

The hits that will stop the read option won't occur in the backfield.  They will occur when he has the ball in his hand and misjudges on how close the defender is.  He will go like Daunte Culpepper- looks great until his knee blows out getting hit running down field.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »
Don't bet the ranch on Kaepernick not being a top NFL QB.

I fear he is the real deal and the 49ers will have another solid QB for years to come. The only question will be can he stay healthy if they keep running the Read Option?
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »
We'll see on Sunday, maybe! They may not use it much, but I think our defense has much better personnel to handle it this time around. Jolly and Perry will make a lot of difference. Heck, just not having Walden on the field is huge for us.

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 07:28:55 PM »
We'll see on Sunday, maybe! They may not use it much, but I think our defense has much better personnel to handle it this time around. Jolly and Perry will make a lot of difference. Heck, just not having Walden on the field is huge for us.

Hopefully Jones will make a difference too.  Though with his ankle. I'm hoping he just steadily improves throughout the year.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Online R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »

Isn't that what the Ravens did to Colin in the Super Bowl? Hit him!!
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »

Isn't that what the Ravens did to Colin in the Super Bowl? Hit him!!
And he still ran for 8.9 per carry and SF ran for 180 +
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."