November 19, 2017, 10:02:21 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bengals Game Day Thread  (Read 40262 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bengals Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
Looks like the Bengals are favored by 3.  I am kind of surprised by this.  Hopefully the Packers go into Cincy with something to prove.

Doesn't the home team automatically get three points? So, its a "toss up" game, apparently.

That speaks volumes about what people think of the Bengals this year and quite frankly the Packers as well. I really didn't see us as the dog in this game.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
That speaks volumes about what people think of the Bengals this year and quite frankly the Packers as well. I really didn't see us as the dog in this game.

True. I believe Michael Silver picked Cincy to make the Super Bowl (and lose to the Seahawks). After Denver, they may well be the consensus #2 in the conference at this point. I don't know how they lost that game to Chicago.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
I show LV as having the Packer by 2.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline roaddog8165

• Rookie
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
As a life long Bengals fan and visitor to your forum, I can say that the consensus here in Cincinnati was that the Steelers were the monkey on our back that needed to be shaken off, the Ravens and Browns are not really viewed as a threat, and the true test of how far the Bengals have come will be against the Packers.  The Bengals run D is monstrous so we are not to worried about that, but facing a quarterback that has the ability to shred a defense with a number of targets is rather frightening. We have lost our best nickel linebackers for the year which leaves us with linebackers great against the run but suspect against any mid range passes.  secondary is fairly banged up and the strong safety, Iloka, is promising but still a question mark.  The key for the Bengals will be how much pressure their front four of Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlop, Geno Atkins and Domata Peko can get against the Packers O line. This should be a fun game to watch!

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »
Thanks for stopping in roaddog.

Should be a great game to see how both teams are progressing.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
As a life long Bengals fan and visitor to your forum, I can say that the consensus here in Cincinnati was that the Steelers were the monkey on our back that needed to be shaken off, the Ravens and Browns are not really viewed as a threat, and the true test of how far the Bengals have come will be against the Packers.  The Bengals run D is monstrous so we are not to worried about that, but facing a quarterback that has the ability to shred a defense with a number of targets is rather frightening. We have lost our best nickel linebackers for the year which leaves us with linebackers great against the run but suspect against any mid range passes.  secondary is fairly banged up and the strong safety, Iloka, is promising but still a question mark.  The key for the Bengals will be how much pressure their front four of Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlop, Geno Atkins and Domata Peko can get against the Packers O line. This should be a fun game to watch!

Thanks for the comments and insight... I saw a little of the Steelers game, but the Steelers are a shadow of their former teams.  Was surprised the score was as close as it was.

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
Knowing Capers he will gameplan for everyone except one guy. That one guy will carry the Bengals.

I am still not completely sold on this defense.
Capers gameplans for everybody. Lack of execution is how the one guy shines over everyone else.

I'm not sold on the defense either(shocking, I know), but I like everything but the pass rush. You can make the playoffs without one, but you will be exposed in the playoffs without one. Hopefully, that gets better as the season progresses.

Like Beast said I'm looking forward to seeing how our pass rush truly is knowing Dalton is not Kaep. 

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »

Thanks for the comments and insight... I saw a little of the Steelers game, but the Steelers are a shadow of their former teams.  Was surprised the score was as close as it was.

Even tho they are getting long in the tooth the Steeler D is still pretty darn good.  Ike Taylor played well against Green.  The reason the score was close is the Steeler offense is not very good and couldn't sustain drives.  They cannot run the ball and Big Ben is getting hit at an alarming rate if you are a Steeler fan.  I believe Pitt's D wore out in the 4th quarter.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:18 AM »
We are going to win because we can outscore the Bengals. I figure this is going to be an aerial shootout with the Packers scoring at least 35 points. We need to score early and often.

If you have AJ Green in your fantasy league, I would start him. Maybe even Dalton. They will get lots of yards and a bunch TD's....IMO.

Roaddog:  The key for the Bengals will be how much pressure their front four of Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlop, Geno Atkins and Domata Peko can get against the Packers O line. This should be a fun game to watch!

If I were the Bengals, I would play tight man coverage, get a lot of pressure with Blitzes and hope to get some turnovers. Allowing Rodgers to sit back and pick you apart will just be a slow death. Give up some big plays and keep up the pressure.

Green Bay: Screen Passes and deep balls. Keep the Bengals guessing on exactly what we will be doing.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
Looks like the Bengals are favored by 3.  I am kind of surprised by this.  Hopefully the Packers go into Cincy with something to prove.

Doesn't the home team automatically get three points? So, its a "toss up" game, apparently.

That's what they typically say.  So Vegas thinks these teams are evenly matched and if they played on a neutral field, it would be a pick 'em.

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »

I usually look at the spread on ESPN's NFL scoreboard, which I believe is a blend of several inputs  Looks like things have changed since I originally posted and the Bengals have played another game.  GB is now shown as a 1 point favorite.

On a side note, the Seahawks are favored by 20 over the Jaguars.  That may be the largest NFL spread that I can recall seeing.  Wow.

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

I usually look at the spread on ESPN's NFL scoreboard, which I believe is a blend of several inputs  Looks like things have changed since I originally posted and the Bengals have played another game.  GB is now shown as a 1 point favorite.

On a side note, the Seahawks are favored by 20 over the Jaguars.  That may be the largest NFL spread that I can recall seeing.  Wow.

I saw an article on this that was interesting....  if stays at 20 will be 10th largest spread in NFL history.  However, teams with 20+ spreads have only covered twice.

Highest spread ever... Steelers over Bucaneers in 1976 - 27 points... and they covered.

Several of the 20+ spreads belonged to 2007 Patriots...  vs Eagles, Jets and another team I forget now... they did not cover once.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »
From a fantasy perspective - I need the Seahawks to totally devour the Jags. Coming off the emotional win against SF - I question if they'll have the same fire in their belly.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
Playing the Bengals this weekend got me thinking back to my first Lambeau experience. I was with my father and brother and pretty excited to be at a Packer game. If was the very early 70's and we had seats at about the 30 yard line maybe 15-20 rows up.

The Packers won the game and I believe the score was 20-13 but that wasn't the story. On one Packer play, right down in front of us Gale Gillingham led the Packers fullback John Brockington down field for a nice gain. At the end of the play Brockington lowered the boom on a Bengal secondary player by the name of Ken Dyer. Dyer laid still on the field for a long time and they fnally carted him off. I really didn't know what had happened ( I was 7 or 8 at the time) but it turned out that hit parallized Dyer who died a few years ago.

I hope the Packers win and EVERYBODY walks off the field, in as good a health as NFL players can be after the game this Sunday. I don't believe I'll ever forget that play. It happens to be the only thing I really remember about the game other than what I think was the final score.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:19:00 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
Very good sentiment Golfman, I also hope all the players remain healthy after the game on Sunday as well.

BTW - my very first Packers game as well was Bengals game in 1976... however it was a preseason game and I remember nothing about the game other than it was preseason and they had fireworks after the game.  I was 7 at the time.