November 19, 2017, 10:06:21 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bengals Game Day Thread  (Read 40263 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bengals Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
That this game is listed pretty much as a tossup makes sense.  Really interesting game.  If we can win this one, and do so convincingly, that would prove a lot about the viability of this team.  Another serious test for the questionable o-line and the running game offensively; another opportunity to see whether they can generate any pass rush and defend the middle of the field. 

Would sure be nice to win it; would sure be nice to win it convincingly; and would sure be nice to do both of those and come out healthy.  If they could go in to bye 2-1 with no new major injuries, that would be huge and could set them up for a good October. 

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »
Agree Craig.

We really miss Burnett and the others in the secoundary that have been out and hopefully we get them back after the bye so Capers can have the players to make his game day plans be more effective.

twocents)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:03:32 PM by LMGAdmin »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
If the Bengals use two TE sets, and the TEs are able to find themselves uncovered in the middle of the field (think of the SF game, where many of the WRs were very, very open), this could be a more difficult game than it should be. That, and will the OL hold up against the tough Cincy rush? We'll see.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »
Per Packers.com....Lacy questionable
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:47 AM »

Boy, I'm not all that comfortable with only have Starks and Franklin available tomorrow.   :-\

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »

Boy, I'm not all that comfortable with only have Starks and Franklin available tomorrow.   :-\

If that's the case, we might see a bit more Cobb in the backfield, or we might even see Michael Hill activated from the PS. In any case, I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable watching Lacy get popped in the head so soon after that shot he took last week.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
Probably the smart thing to do, not knowing the exact medical on Lacey, is to sit him... Maybe through the bye week.

Hopefully Franklin can come in and contribute during this time.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »
Probably the smart thing to do, not knowing the exact medical on Lacey, is to sit him... Maybe through the bye week.

Hopefully Franklin can come in and contribute during this time.
Has Franklin even been on the field yet (?) in the offensive unit? I presume he's on special teams somewhere - perhaps not - but he's got no stats whatsoever - not even in the WA blowout. I'm not sure thats not troubling. If they wind up with just two RB's perhaps the best "defense" against losing another (read: the borderline injury prone Starks) would be a Denver-style fast paced / up tempo / quick passing game plan. If Franklin cant block anybody - understand the playbook - or whatever's keeping him off the field - minimize the need and blunt the DL rush by quick passing on either three step releases or shotgun. That would get AR thru the game alive at least.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
With Kuhn not playing, leader, I believe you've hit on an excellent point. Rodgers us used to having a blocking back on third and long. Harris (on IR) was relatively short, but was still a decent blocker. The same apparently can't be said for either Starks or Franklin. Though if either of these guys could become a screen/swing pass/in the flat receiver, that also might be effective. Or perhaps the Packers could go two TE, with Quarless being a quasi-H-back. Just spitballing here.   
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »
Starks can be "protect the quarterback challenged" as well? I'm was thinking he looks big enough to at least get his body in the way of guys on 3rd down. Perhaps thats misguided thinking.

As for swing passes - I'd have thought Mr. Franklin would have attempted one or two of them already - but apparently not - which puzzles me. I mean - the guys a rookie - its early in the season - so I'm not trashing him - I've simply not read or heard exactly what it is thats keeping him off the field. So if we're down to just two backs - I'm game planning around him at this point. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
Has Franklin even been active the previous weeks?  I don't know.  But during the first two weeks, he's been #4 on the RB depth chart.  Hardly surprising that the #4 guy wouldn't get PT.  But, with Kuhn out, Frankling becomes #3.  And if Lacy is out as well, that will move him up to #2. 

I'm not that concerned about needing to play more than 2 RB.  How often do you need more than 2?  Sure, maybe both will get injured in the same game, but you can't prevent every possible extreme-case scenario. 

Also, Cobb can do some stuff back there; Ross has actually done some practice in the backfield; Quarless and TE's have backfield/H-back responsibilities.  If Lacy fails to pass his testing today and tomorrow; then if both Starks and Franklin get knocked out of the game, that's unlikely.  And we can still run an offense even if all of that happens. 

With Lacy, I think there's a fair chance that he'll be activated, even if he doesn't play.  If there are multiple RB injuries, then perhaps he would play, if he's passed his test but they maybe still want to give him more time.  Other thing is, if he's passed his test, he'll probably be just fine to play.  It's not like a guy with a hamstring or groin or something, who's maybe allowed to play but can't play very well and is at significant risk to rip it all up again.  If Lacy is cleared, he'll probably be 100% in terms of playing ability. 

May also be a partial blessing to have only 2 RB.  It's not like Bengals have a front 7 that is highly run-susceptible, and who we're just going to power it down their throat.  If MM uses the run selectively and isn't calling lots of 1st-downs-up-the-middle, that may actually help. 

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2013, 06:42:41 AM »
Starks did a heck of job in protection in the Washington game. I know that has been one of his issues in the past. That is one of the things Franklin was applauded for however.

What is wrong with Kuhn? I was on the record with Kuhn being cut and us going without a fullback so we test that theory today. I think you'll see a lot more of Quarless in this gameplan.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
Starks did a heck of job in protection in the Washington game. I know that has been one of his issues in the past. That is one of the things Franklin was applauded for however.

What is wrong with Kuhn? I was on the record with Kuhn being cut and us going without a fullback so we test that theory today. I think you'll see a lot more of Quarless in this gameplan.

Kuhn has hamstring issue....  seems every other Packer has that issue currently.

I agree with Quarless comment.  Franklin was applauded for pass protection prior to preseason games, preseason game performance I think changed that perception.

Offline MagicMansMullet

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »
Has Franklin even been active the previous weeks?  I don't know.  But during the first two weeks, he's been #4 on the RB depth chart.  Hardly surprising that the #4 guy wouldn't get PT.  But, with Kuhn out, Frankling becomes #3.  And if Lacy is out as well, that will move him up to #2. 

I'm not that concerned about needing to play more than 2 RB.  How often do you need more than 2?  Sure, maybe both will get injured in the same game, but you can't prevent every possible extreme-case scenario. 

Also, Cobb can do some stuff back there; Ross has actually done some practice in the backfield; Quarless and TE's have backfield/H-back responsibilities.  If Lacy fails to pass his testing today and tomorrow; then if both Starks and Franklin get knocked out of the game, that's unlikely.  And we can still run an offense even if all of that happens. 

With Lacy, I think there's a fair chance that he'll be activated, even if he doesn't play.  If there are multiple RB injuries, then perhaps he would play, if he's passed his test but they maybe still want to give him more time.  Other thing is, if he's passed his test, he'll probably be just fine to play.  It's not like a guy with a hamstring or groin or something, who's maybe allowed to play but can't play very well and is at significant risk to rip it all up again.  If Lacy is cleared, he'll probably be 100% in terms of playing ability. 

May also be a partial blessing to have only 2 RB.  It's not like Bengals have a front 7 that is highly run-susceptible, and who we're just going to power it down their throat.  If MM uses the run selectively and isn't calling lots of 1st-downs-up-the-middle, that may actually help.

McCarthy had mentioned some offensive packages for Franklin last week but never got to them against the Skins. If Lacy is out, I would expect Franklin to spell Starks.
"When itís third and long, you can take the milk drinkers and Iíll take the whiskey drinkers every time.Ē ó Max McGee