September 23, 2017, 07:49:17 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Ravens Game Day Thread  (Read 39677 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Ravens Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »

I think the Players Association should consider their next lawsuit to be about hamstring injuries. "Your Honor, we'd like to call our next witness - the entire GBPacker team......"

Whats with all these continued references to a running game? This is a Packer Forum no? Did it wander into the wrong room?

:)

Offline tommyboy

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »
Heres what scares me about Balt. Ngata, Canty, Suggs all backed up by Elvis Dumerville at LB. Their def front is big and good.the wild card is Dumerville. If we see a lot of blitzes, we could be in trouble. The one matchup I dread is Suggs on Bak. It could get ugly. Rodgers better get rid of the ball fast of he might get hurt in this game. Both teams will be hungry and Balt has a big advantage playing at home

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »
Best way to slow down pass rushers is with a good run game. Plain and simple. Lacy is big and tough enough to gain yardage against them up the middle and keep those pass rushers a half step slower.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Fingal

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »
Mulumba hasnt practiced this week.
We are looking kinda thin at LB atm..

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
Ngata and the back-up nose have not been practicing this week.  I would assume Ngata won't be 100% if he does play.  Raven defense is not the same without him.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »
Ngata and the back-up nose have not been practicing this week.  I would assume Ngata won't be 100% if he does play.  Raven defense is not the same without him.

Yeah... I saw Ngata was out Wed/Thurs from practice.  Just checked Ravens site now and shows he was limited participant today.  He is listed as questionable, but I assume he plays on Sunday and will be less than 100%.

If he is not effective, that is big break for Packers.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Best way to slow down pass rushers is with a good run game. Plain and simple. Lacy is big and tough enough to gain yardage against them up the middle and keep those pass rushers a half step slower.
I think you are vastly overrating our OL in the running game.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »
This will be a tough match-up for the Packers, especially on the road.

Like most games, this one will probably be won or lost in the trenches.  Each team will look to exploit the other's offensive line.

The Ravens' offensive line has been a sieve, and consequently, the overrated Flacco has been under duress, throwing more interceptions than touchdowns.  Furthermore, the running game has been non-existent:  they're 26th in rushing yards per game and 31st in yards per carry at 2.8.  Given the Packers' stout run defense this season, the Ravens are probably going to need to be productive through the air.  With Smith as the only viable option, the Ravens have been mediocre in the passing game.  Jacoby Jones might return Sunday, though, and if that's the case, look for Flacco to throw deep and often if the line can hold up.  Monroe, whom the Ravens traded for the other week, is slated to start at left tackle.  He was really good against the Packers last year, and now the defense is without Matthews.  I'm really interested to see how Capers attacks the Ravens' line.  I'd be aggressive early and often.

The strength of the Ravens' defense is their line.  Suggs, who is having another defensive MVP type season, will probably line up across from Bakhtiari all game.  That's scary enough to make you pee a little.  Dumervil on the other side facing Barclay doesn't make me feel much better.  I hope that, given Ngata's injury as well as the solid play from the interior of the Packers' line, pressure won't come from the middle and the edges, so Rodgers may be able to step up to avoid some of the inevitable pressure from the outside.  If he can, he should be able to exploit what is a rather pedestrian secondary that has given up quite a few big plays this season:  they gave up three plays of 40+ last week against the Dolphins.  Despite that, though, we might be in for a lot of quick passes and outs in an effort to slow down Suggs and Co.

"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »

You mean the offensive line that is currently ranked #1 in run blocking by Pro Football Outsiders?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 06:47:50 AM »
GB has been facing top tier defensive fronts all season, so the team should be as ready as they can be for BAL.  Much like what happened vs DET, I expect GB will have some success running the ball out of the shotgun, which should help keep the BAL pass rush in check.  The topic of the week for the offense seems to be the recent red zone struggles.  The offense will probably need to improve in that area to come out of BAL with a win.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
Don't forget the Pick the Winner Poll.  popcorn)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Hydrogeo

• Second String
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 06:43:05 AM »
Rodgers as mccarthy need to be patient.  Nothing wrong with four and five yard passes.  Don't go for the dep ball and oil drives today.  Take what they give you ALL DAY. Don't go deep on third and short an kill drives

Ray rice is horrible in pass protection. We need to take advantage of that. 
Torrey smith has become a top ten WR and has been very impressive.  Scare of him

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »
I'm actually OK with some deep balls, including on 3rd-and-short.  I don't think Baltimore has a great offense.  So there aren't going to be a lot of scores.  And I don't think we're likely to continuously be able to grind out 1st-down-after-1st-down-after-1st-down and drive down the field all the time either.  Sometimes yes, but that's tough.  So it may be that taking a couple of big-play shots will be OK.  Convert on a couple, miss on some others.  But a couple of offensive big-play TD's may be the ticket to winning the game. 

Hope I'm wrong, of course, and that we can just consistently chunk out first downs and steadily march down the field time and time again. 

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »

You mean the offensive line that is currently ranked #1 in run blocking by Pro Football Outsiders?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

+1. I like that stat.  Unbelievable what a couple guys can do....And we're missing our two first rounders.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
I think Finley is going to be our most difficult match up for the Ravens to defend. Their safeties aren't exactly great and Elam, the rookie is inconsistent, not to mention he's 5'8. Couple of TD's for Finley today, book it.

When you listen to the talking heads talk about the Lions game against the Browns without CJ possibly, you get the sense they didn't give our defense much credit as much as blame the Lions woes on no CJ. I hope we can prove them wrong this week and would love to see us EARN some respect on defense.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:45:36 AM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "