November 19, 2017, 04:21:47 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Browns v. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 31183 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Browns v. Packers Game Day Thread
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
Back to home cooking. A week for Boykin and AR to get on the same page. The Browns are resurgent, but then so are the Packers. Expect another close one.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Browns v. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »
No James Jones, Cobb, Matthews, Perry for sure. Quite possibly no Brad Jones, Hayward, Bush or Starks. By my count that would be 7 inactives barring roster moves or course.

This game still comes down to getting pressure on Weeden which is going to be a much more difficult task with our injuries. You cannot let a mediocre QB get comfortable in the pocket.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »
No James Jones, Cobb, Matthews, Perry for sure. Quite possibly no Brad Jones, Hayward, Bush or Starks. By my count that would be 7 inactives barring roster moves or course.

This game still comes down to getting pressure on Weeden which is going to be a much more difficult task with our injuries. You cannot let a mediocre QB get comfortable in the pocket.
Is Perry for sure out?  He returned to the game yesterday after the injury.

edit:  never mind, I just saw the other article.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:25:00 PM by green machine »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »

Is Perry for sure out?  He returned to the game yesterday after the injury.

Reports are a broken foot. Not a season ender but he's out for a while according to reports although I can't find it on NFL.com or ESPN.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
Who is going to step up this week? So many guys out it's time for the next Lattimore or Hyde to step up and be counted.

Mulumba? Palmer? Bostick? Quarless? Boykin? Datone Jones? Daniel?

It has to come from somewhere and we can't roll over and die. Hopefully Cobb isn't done for the year and neither is Perry. If not, we'll be that much stronger when they return.

Offline LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
If the D plays like they did Sunday in Baltimore I don't see how the Browns stand a chance.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »
Looking on the (relatively) bright side, the Packers aren't facing really tough teams the next two weeks. Its the Browns and the Vikings. So, hopefully Lattimore can show something, Heyward can return this week or next, and Jones will hopefully be ready for the Vikings. If Starks can come back, and if Sherrod is ready to play in a couple of weeks... yep, trying to stay upbeat here. Myles White could be the slot receiver until Cobb returns, and with a week to practice with the first team, could be a surprise. Same with Boykin. As long as Rodgers stays healthy, this team always has a chance. Hang in there, one and all. It ain't over until the weight challenged female warbles. After all, the regular season is only for figuring out who is in the playoffs and who gets home field advantage and byes. The playoffs decide who is going to the SB.   
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »
Just as an aside we only have 2 teams on our remaining 11 games who have a winning record through week six, Detroit and the Bears twice.

Cleveland 3-3
Minnesota 1-4
Chicago 4-2 (Matthews, Sherrod, Worthy back?)
Philadelphia 3-3
NY Giants 0-6
Minnesota 1-4
Atlanta 1-4 (Cobb and Perry?)
Detroit 4-2
Dallas 3-3
Pittsburgh 1-4
Chicago 4-2

Seriously need to get through the next two weeks. Things could start to get a bit brighter after that.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:57:21 PM »
Just as an aside we only have 2 teams on our remaining 11 games who have a winning record through week six, Detroit and the Bears twice.

Cleveland 3-3
Minnesota 1-4
Chicago 4-2 (Matthews, Sherrod, Worthy back?)
Philadelphia 3-3
NY Giants 0-6
Minnesota 1-4
Atlanta 1-4 (Cobb and Perry?)
Detroit 4-2
Dallas 3-3
Pittsburgh 1-4
Chicago 4-2

Seriously need to get through the next two weeks. Things could start to get a bit brighter after that.

I had the Packers starting 2-3 in the prediction thread here.. I am happy with the 3-2 start as I thought their schedule was front loaded with tough road games.  Injuries suck... but I still think Packers can roll together several wins in next several games barring more injuries.

Would be great to get Clay for Bears game.  Bears themselves have been losing one defensive starter a week for the season recently.

Browns have tough defense... if we can pressure Weeden he can be forced into poor decisions.  Another tough run defense... if we can run on them, our run game is really going to start to make future teams have to game plan some more against it.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »
I really think Brandon Bostick is going to get some opportunities to shine this week and expect he may surprise a few people.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »
Run the ball.

Put Lacy and Franklin on the field at the same time.

It's time for Finley to step up.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »
I really think Brandon Bostick is going to get some opportunities to shine this week and expect he may surprise a few people.

I had radio but not TV on Sunday.  Did Bostick get any plays from scrimmage?  I know he was active, and had no catches or, apparently, targets according to the box score.  Another week to plan, with lots of need to plan something, might perhaps provoke some ideas. 

I wonder what they think of Quarless's blocking these days.  I could well imagine that Quarless might instead replace Finley as the in-line guy, and Finley might then get split out.  Finley, Jordy, and Boykin the variably split-out receivers; Quarless and Lacy staying in to help in pass protection. 

I'd love to see Bostick get some opportunities, though, and perhaps have Bostick and/or Finley both going out at the same time; or either one blocking; or perhaps both blocking and having strong running plays; and the defense never knowing which it's going to be. 

I admit I'd also like to hope that perhaps with a couple of TE's playing perhaps they'd script up a couple more short passes to the running back on the outside, with room to run and create.  I've always thought that Lacy on the outside with some running momentum, and some pretty good change-of-pace moves, could be pretty scary for a cornerback or safety trying to stop him cold.  Or same for Franklin, not by virtue of power but by having some change-of-direction stop-and-go quickness on the outside with space to run. 

It might also be fun to have both franklin and Lacy in the backfield once in a while; one to protect, the other to swing out for the swing pass?  Perhaps if the pressure is picked up the blocker could also leak out for a pass in space?  Perhaps the powerful Lacy getting out to block for Franklin? 

Might also be interesting to see whether Rodgers goes over center rather than having them mostly run from the shotgun. 

Will be really interesting to see how MM draws it up this week.  Lot of possibilities.  It would be fun to be in on offensive-design meetings this week, that's for sure. 

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »
It's been interesting to see the reporters today saying we have "interest" in some receiver named Tavares King from Denver's practice squad.  Then his agent said that wasn't true.  We did resign Reggie Dunn.  I will be curious to see what TT and MM do with the roster and game plan this week.  I won't lie, I'd also like to see what Bostick can do.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 05:37:12 AM »
Run the ball.

What he said.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
Run the ball.

What he said.

What they said.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.