September 23, 2017, 07:51:29 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Browns v. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 28113 times)

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Browns v. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:46 AM »
I'm willing to chastise anyone.  If not Capers in this instance, then who gets the job?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:27 AM »
IF Heyward can return this week, would he be likely to be matched up on Cameron? Because trying to match up one of the remaining Packers starting LBers on a productive TE just doesn't make me feel good. Also, the Cleveland defense is actually pretty good. Isn't Haden considered one of the better DBs in the league? This could well be time for Finley to step up and start making his case to deserve a really big contract in GB or elsewhere. Also (a last second thought) Rodgers has been statistically productive, but he just hasn't seemed as impactful so far this year, especially (AARGH!) in the red zone. He seemed to have the same problem last year, but righted himself against the Texans in a big way. Hopefully, this will be that "break out game" where the offense really starts clicking, and FGs become TDs. Let Crosby kick PATs instead.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:04:04 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 09:25:55 AM »
Because of Weeden I'm not too worried about their offense and our guys are stuffing the run very well so far this season.   The Brownie's D is pretty stout, tho.  I hope Lacy can get 120+ again this week.

Online Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:08 AM »
Because of Weeden I'm not too worried about their offense and our guys are stuffing the run very well so far this season.   The Brownie's D is pretty stout, tho.  I hope Lacy can get 120+ again this week.

Golfman: "This game still comes down to getting pressure on Weeden which is going to be a much more difficult task with our injuries. You cannot let a mediocre QB get comfortable in the pocket"

I brought Golfman's comment into here because it dovetails with my response to Puggers  -  that its not so much Weeden that worries me - its who he's throwing to. Plenty of "average schmoe NFL QB's" can have success if they're given time to get comfortable and have explosive weapons to throw to. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »
Leader, et.al., stuff the Browns run game, make them one dimensional, and get ahead by a couple of TDs-there will be plenty of pressure on Weeden. The key to the game, again,  deadhorse) is the ability of the Packers to finish drives with TDs, not FGs. Captain Obvious (or is it Oblivious?) over and out. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 04:38:06 PM »
Leader, et.al., stuff the Browns run game, make them one dimensional, and get ahead by a couple of TDs-there will be plenty of pressure on Weeden. The key to the game, again,  deadhorse) is the ability of the Packers to finish drives with TDs, not FGs. Captain Obvious (or is it Oblivious?) over and out.

Get ahead by a couple of TD's will require scoring a couple of TD's!  And can't score a 2nd TD without scoring a 1st TD.  The offense hasn't scored a 1st-half TD since Washington game.  I don't expect to see one first-half offensive TD this game, much less two.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
Aw, come on.  At some point Rodgers is going to have a good game.  He is due.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline ayt

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:30 PM »
Run the ball.

Put Lacy and Franklin on the field at the same time.

It's time for Finley to step up.

Are you imagining them in the backfield at the same time or with Franklin in the slot?  I don't think we have many plays designed for 2 HBs, and, since having a HB lined up as a WR isn't something we normally do, our HBs wouldn't have any practice playing the slot prior to this week.

Offline ayt

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
I really think Brandon Bostick is going to get some opportunities to shine this week and expect he may surprise a few people.

I'd like to see that.  Q and Taylor have provided almost nothing as receivers at the TE spot.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
With Taylor out, Bostick and Stoneburner are the 3rd/4th TE's.  One of them is going to get at least a few snaps, I'd expect.  But I think they may operate a lot like they did Sunday with Quarless esentially the 6th offensive lineman.  Quarless played a ton of snaps; was he ever a passing target?  So Quarless basically 6th blocker, with Finley, Jordy, and Boykin as the three receivers. 

3 receivers, none of whom are quick or explosive, probably don't overstress a secondary.  Rodgers will need to put it on the fingers, and they'll need to catch.  But Cleveland doesn't have real tall secondary guys.  Could be a deal where the size/length of Jordy/Boykin/Finley will enable some completions anyway.  But it may be tough to have a really unstoppable offense. 

Perhaps with a full week to plan, and with less fear of Cleveland's pass rush than was true with Baltimore, perhaps MM will have set up a couple of "surprise" plays.  One or two with Bostick, perhaps, or Stoneburner?  Maybe a trick play in which Quarless goes out and they throw to him?  Maybe a designed screen play?  Will be interesting to see what they try to do.  I do hope you guys are right, and they do some sets with two receiving tight ends, in which they throw to a non-Finley who pehaps catches it?  They had one of those where Taylor was open and Rodgers got it to him, except he dropped it.  Hopefully Bostick/Stoneburner will get chance(s) like that and make the catches. 

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
What Taylor is out too?
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online golfman

• HOF Member
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
Run the ball.

Put Lacy and Franklin on the field at the same time.

It's time for Finley to step up.

Are you imagining them in the backfield at the same time or with Franklin in the slot?  I don't think we have many plays designed for 2 HBs, and, since having a HB lined up as a WR isn't something we normally do, our HBs wouldn't have any practice playing the slot prior to this week.

I'm just imagining them being creative and taking full advantage of their playmakers.

In short, I think there's many ways to use both of them, and I'd think about what I can do by motioning one of them around.

I agree that such formations are something the Packers rarely do, but injuries have forced them to reshape their offense.  McCarthy said the other day that they have some running formations and plays that they have yet to reveal.  Perhaps some involve two backs.  I have to believe that McCarthy was scheming up some ways to use both Harris and Lacy during the off-season.  Perhaps such plays would still work if Franklin was swapped in for Harris.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
What Taylor is out too?
  He had surgery, but supposedly only 2-4 weeks out. 

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Packers Offense plays out this game.

Not worried as much about the D, yet they have injuries also, but with the injuries on the O game planning will be fun to watch.

I look for Crosby to be a key ingredient to getting a win.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:33:27 PM by LMGAdmin »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.