November 24, 2017, 07:00:58 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Vikings Game Day Thread  (Read 23597 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v. Vikings Game Day Thread
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
Two teams in a heated rivalry. Two teams going in opposite directions. One team looking for a QB. But, it being a divisional game, it could be closer than expected. Best wishes to Finley and his family, whatever the outcome of the diagnosis.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Vikings Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:06:45 AM »
Vikings will be coming off Monday Night matchup vs NYG in New York.  Will be interesting to watch how Freeman performs.

Packers will catch a break as Harrison Smith is on IR return list... so Packers will not see him either game this year.  Matt Kahil is also having back issues and is questionable to tonight... there defense and OL have already looked pretty bad this year, losing these 2 (if Kahil misses time) will only make it worse.

Offline bigbubbatd

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
Vikings will be coming off Monday Night matchup vs NYG in New York.  Will be interesting to watch how Freeman performs.

Packers will catch a break as Harrison Smith is on IR return list... so Packers will not see him either game this year.  Matt Kahil is also having back issues and is questionable to tonight... there defense and OL have already looked pretty bad this year, losing these 2 (if Kahil misses time) will only make it worse.

Smith being out would level the field a little.  It looks like we are without Finley, Cobb, and maybe Jones this week (hoping he can be back).  The Vikings have a very poor secondary and Smith was their bright spot.  Chris Cook is pretty average and the rookie Xavier Rhodes has had moments of looking good and some pretty rough moments as well.  Nickle corner Josh Robinson is getting abused week in and week out.  Their dime cb is usually even worse.  At safety apart of Smith they are pretty weak.  Their safety play reminds me of the Packers. One very good safety - Burnett and Smith - but the two other guys fighting for a spot are below average. 

The Vikings linebacker play has been brutal as well. Greenway is having a down year. Henderson and Mitchell are not very good.  Bishop had taken Mitchell's spot but is not out for the year.  With their safety and lb play this is the game for our running backs and TE's to have big games. Losing Finley hurts a lot.  Franklin and Lacy could have an impact receiving.  Boykin is posed to have another big game as well.

Unlike typical Viking defenses they are not great against the run.  Just 17th in ypc going into tonight with not playing the best rushing teams - Pitt, Cleveland, Detroit, and Carolina are all bottom half in ypc in the NFL.  Up the middle they are pretty weak.  Kevin Williams is on his last leg but is still their best tackle.  The rookie Floyd is having an up and down start like most rookie DTs.  Their DE are much more pass rushers than run stoppers.

The biggest worry in this game is their running game and Freeman getting the edge.  I am not worried up the middle as the combination of Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Jones, and Daniels has been terrific.  I am a little worried about the rookies and Neal.  Loadholt cant really pass block but his a beast run blocking.  Kalil is having a poor year but could turn it around.  We need to keep AP bottled up and not let Freeman get outside the pocket and improvise.

This game is at the dome and will pretty much be their Super Bowl so they will be amped up.  However, if they lay an egg against the Giants tonight the fans will be ready to boo.  If we were even remotely healthy I wouldnt be worried much but considering our injury situation I just want to get out of next Sunday with a win any way possible

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
Vikings have two things that concern me: Adrian Peterson and a decent pass rush. Our run defense has been extremely stout, but AP is still AP and our youngin's are gonna have to be really stout setting the edge. It appeared Cleveland had a bit of running success on the edge. Must wrap up and AR must get the bal out of his hands.

Look for Jennings to get plenty of opportunities in the passing game. Hope Shields shuts his butt out.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
I think the Vikings seem like a good matchup for the Packers.  With Vikings as a run-first team, the fact that our defense is now run-oriented suits the Packers well.  With the Vikings depleted secondary, our receivers may be able to get enough separation so that our passing game can work.  With Freeman being very new in Minnesota, he may use a fairly simplified, limited playbook, and even then he may not be on the same page with some of his receivers.  Plus he's never been consistently accurate. 

This may be a game, somewhat like Cleveland, where the Packers will be able to play somewhat careful football, and perhaps Vikings will beat themselves.  Perhaps a Freeman interception; maybe a 3rd down where a receiver is open but Freeman and receiver aren't on same page and don't convert. 

It may be a little challenging scheme-wise for Capers, since he won't have much Freeman-Vikings film to go on.   

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
It may be a little challenging scheme-wise for Capers, since he won't have much Freeman-Vikings film to go on.

At least he'll have tonight's game, whereas the Vikings have one fewer prep day due to the short week. I like our chances!

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 06:52:44 AM »

Hope last nights Gints/Vikes game doesn't take the competitive edge off any Packers.
The Vikings looked totally inept. Hope the Packers dont take them lightly.
You know the old saying: "Thats why they play the games"

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:38 AM »
Hard to imagine taking a division rivalry game lightly. Mike McCarthy set the tone by telling his team there would be NO victory Monday break for the team given the need to prepare for such a BIG divisional game in MN on tap.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:36 AM »
I watched as much of the game as I could, but kept switching to the "Paint Drying Channel", where they had a re-run of "Gesso Gusto!". Neither team deserved to win. When even the broadcast team is slamming the level of play- repeatedly- you know the teams are BAD. Freeman looked compleltely lost in the offense. When Gruden actually broke down the offense, pointing out that they were running a very limited number of passing plays. The way to beat the Vikings? Stack the line, stop Peterson. End of Vikings offense. The only concern is their returners- their kickoff and punt return teams look pretty good. Add in the number of injuries that have new players pressed into action on STs for the Packers, and we could see a ST TD Sunday night by Minny.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:23:03 AM »
I watched as much of the game as I could, but kept switching to the "Paint Drying Channel", where they had a re-run of "Gesso Gusto!". Neither team deserved to win. When even the broadcast team is slamming the level of play- repeatedly- you know the teams are BAD. Freeman looked compleltely lost in the offense. When Gruden actually broke down the offense, pointing out that they were running a very limited number of passing plays. The way to beat the Vikings? Stack the line, stop Peterson. End of Vikings offense. The only concern is their returners- their kickoff and punt return teams look pretty good. Add in the number of injuries that have new players pressed into action on STs for the Packers, and we could see a ST TD Sunday night by Minny.

1. The game is in the dome, so Masthay will be killing it out the back of the endzones on kickoffs.

2.Masthay is a master at taking out dangerous punt returners, see Hester, Devin.

I have absolutely no concern with the ST's in this game.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
I think the Vikings seem like a good matchup for the Packers.  With Vikings as a run-first team, the fact that our defense is now run-oriented suits the Packers well.  With the Vikings depleted secondary, our receivers may be able to get enough separation so that our passing game can work.  With Freeman being very new in Minnesota, he may use a fairly simplified, limited playbook, and even then he may not be on the same page with some of his receivers.  Plus he's never been consistently accurate. 

This may be a game, somewhat like Cleveland, where the Packers will be able to play somewhat careful football, and perhaps Vikings will beat themselves.  Perhaps a Freeman interception; maybe a 3rd down where a receiver is open but Freeman and receiver aren't on same page and don't convert. 

Agree with this post....  after first two Packers games when our rush defense played so well and seeing the preseason games I thought the Packers would match up much better vs Vikings this year.

Only concern is special teams... two melt downs in last game gave Cleveland a TD and 2nd chance at scoring.  If Packers can control the field position battle Packers win easily in this game.

50PoundHead

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »

LOL.

I'm expecting a close game.  Outside of a couple of bad 4th quarters, we really haven't laid a giant egg this season and with all the injuries on our side, things could become discombobulated.

Living west of the St. Croix and being inundated with all things purple this time of year, I'm surprised the Vikings have been this bad.  I thought they'd regress some.  They won a ton of close games last year and Peterson had a season for the ages.  Because of that, the national bandwagon got a little fired up about them coming into 2013.  Then the big first round in last year's draft and some folks went bonkers.

Bottom line:  Vikings are playing at home, against a rival, for their season.  If they get thumped next Sunday and look like they did last night in the process, Frazier's probably done on Monday.  So I expect the Vikings to lay it all out there and even if they come up short, this could be a battle.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »

LOL.

I'm expecting a close game.  Outside of a couple of bad 4th quarters, we really haven't laid a giant egg this season and with all the injuries on our side, things could become discombobulated.

Living west of the St. Croix and being inundated with all things purple this time of year, I'm surprised the Vikings have been this bad.  I thought they'd regress some.  They won a ton of close games last year and Peterson had a season for the ages.  Because of that, the national bandwagon got a little fired up about them coming into 2013.  Then the big first round in last year's draft and some folks went bonkers.

Bottom line:  Vikings are playing at home, against a rival, for their season.  If they get thumped next Sunday and look like they did last night in the process, Frazier's probably done on Monday.  So I expect the Vikings to lay it all out there and even if they come up short, this could be a battle.
I think it will be close for a good majority of the game, but we will eventually pull away.

The Vikings play did not impress me at all last night and it seems if we stack the box and stop Peterson, then we have essentially stopped their offense.

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »

LOL.

From watching last night's game, they seem to want Freeman to just chuck it downfield and hope for the best.  It didn't work at all, but it certainly could, especially if you have officials willing to throw ticky tack interference flags.  That (and maybe ST blunders) is about all I worry about.  We regress to FG-kicking team again and they hit a couple of big plays, don't want to be playing catch-up in that stupid dome. 

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
Curious for those living west of St. Croix River...   do you expect a lot of Packers fans at this game seeing how Vikings season has gone thus far?