November 22, 2017, 10:31:30 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Bears v. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 38232 times)

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Bears v. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »
I wouldn't sell the Bears short. 

With Marshall and Forte playing well, McCown was able to come in and play to a 119 passer rating against Washington.  Completed 14 of 20, for over 200 yds and a TD with no picks.

I admit, it was against a bad Washington team, but if McCown is able to avoid the dumb picks, then Ricky's question may be true.  He could end up being an improvement over the vastly overrated Jay Cutler.

Defense will have to come ready to play and not look past this one.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:35 AM »
I wouldn't sell the Bears short. 

With Marshall and Forte playing well, McCown was able to come in and play to a 119 passer rating against Washington.  Completed 14 of 20, for over 200 yds and a TD with no picks.

I admit, it was against a bad Washington team, but if McCown is able to avoid the dumb picks, then Ricky's question may be true.  He could end up being an improvement over the vastly overrated Jay Cutler.

Washington is 29th in defense and 27th in pass defense. No offense, but McCown playing in Lambeau, on Monday night against us is a bit different. Not to mention the Bears have up 500 yards of which 200 were rushing yards and RGIII had 299 yards passing. His own WR said they suck at passing. The Bears won't be playing a team that sucks at passing on Monday Night.

The only way this one stays close is if we turn the ball over multiple times to them.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »

If a defense looks past a divisional opponent that is only a game behind them in the standings, and with another divisional opponent only 1/2 game behind, players should be cut and coaches fired.

The Packers should handle business in Lambeau, but if da bears (heaven forbid) were to pull off an upset it would be just that and not because the Packers looked past this one.

Plus what would they be looking past to? The Eagles at Lambeau? How would that make sense? Looking past the oldest and most storied rivalry in the NFL because the team is focusing on playing a lesser opponent from outside their division - I don't think so.

The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »

If a defense looks past a divisional opponent that is only a game behind them in the standings, and with another divisional opponent only 1/2 game behind, players should be cut and coaches fired.

The Packers should handle business in Lambeau, but if da bears (heaven forbid) were to pull off an upset it would be just that and not because the Packers looked past this one.

Plus what would they be looking past to? The Eagles at Lambeau? How would that make sense? Looking past the oldest and most storied rivalry in the NFL because the team is focusing on playing a lesser opponent from outside their division - I don't think so.

Sure, it was a bit trite of me to say that.  Let me re-phrase.

The bears offense is not nearly as "toothless" as many fans and pundits are making it out to be with out Cutler.  Marshall is a threat, and Alshon Jeffery has emerged as a legitimate #2.  Matt Forte is well on his way to a 1000 yd season, and has another 262 yds receiving.  Despite Golf's stats regarding the Washington defense, the bears have a well balanced attack that should be a reasonable test of a Packer defense that has been known to go "soft" against some passing attacks. 

With the defensive injuries, yes, I do expect the Packers to win by a significant margin, but like you point out, this is a big divisional rivalry, and I expect the bears to come ready to play.  As fans, we tend to over react, and we are a bit high after a great win against one of the worst teams in the league.

Besides, with Madman not posting, someone needs to show fear of bears.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »

Sure, it was a bit trite of me to say that.  Let me re-phrase.

The bears offense is not nearly as "toothless" as many fans and pundits are making it out to be with out Cutler.  Marshall is a threat, and Alshon Jeffery has emerged as a legitimate #2.  Matt Forte is well on his way to a 1000 yd season, and has another 262 yds receiving.  Despite Golf's stats regarding the Washington defense, the bears have a well balanced attack that should be a reasonable test of a Packer defense that has been known to go "soft" against some passing attacks. 

With the defensive injuries, yes, I do expect the Packers to win by a significant margin, but like you point out, this is a big divisional rivalry, and I expect the bears to come ready to play.  As fans, we tend to over react, and we are a bit high after a great win against one of the worst teams in the league.

Besides, with Madman not posting, someone needs to show fear of bears.

;D Good point
-Vince Lombardi

Offline flowerpac

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
The only way the bears win is if the Pack give it to them.  Stripping the ball should be a high priority.  The return game is another issue.  Be ware of the trick plays.  The Pack pulled one on the bears last year with the fake field goal and pitch to the tight end.  I am sure the bears remember that and think its payback time.  Packers have to control their tempers and no stupid penalties.  They have to avoid the trash talking.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
Well Greg Jennings stated, "Being over in Green Bay, you're brainwashed to think anyone in the division is tiers below."

Here is McCarthy's record vs the divisional foes>
Bears      9-5
Lions     14-1
Vikings  11-4

If Brainwashing results in these results... I am all for the brainwashing   ;D   ;)    >:D

Seriously... MM puts heavy emphasis on divisional games, I do not see the Packers taking this game lightly at all.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »

Here is McCarthy's record vs the divisional foes>
Bears      9-5
Lions     14-1
Vikings. 11-4

Vikings 73.3% winning percentage against - good
Lions 93.3% winning percentage against - GREAT
dabears 64.3% UNACCEPTABLE!

Pack needs to win and get it up to an acceptable 66.6%  ;)
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Anyone more than 40 years old should remember this great ending to Packers / Bears game.  I remember watching the game with my dad in basement at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2fHoUkG2g

Online green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »
Anyone more than 40 years old should remember this great ending to Packers / Bears game.  I remember watching the game with my dad in basement at the time.

I was actually at that game  in 1980

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »

I was actually at that game  in 1980

Love the glasses on Marcol. I do not remember that game and I'm well over 40.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:16 AM »
Much like last week vs MIN, GB is simply the better team in this one.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
In the season ender last year, Christian Ponder was very effective for the Vikings, and AP ran for a lot of yards as the Vikings upset the Packers. Now, could the same thing happen this year if McCown has a good game, and Forte starts running the way he can. Though not expecting a loss to the Bears, I definitely don't want to take this team too lightly. All it takes is one good game by the Bears (who will definitely be up for this game), or one fluke play (see Cincy game and the fumble/TD return), and it could be an upset. Not a prediction, but a warning. Because, Mazrimiv, the better team doesn't always win. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »
As said elsewhere in an earlier post,
"If this team looks past a divisional opponent that is only a game behind them in the standings, and with another divisional opponent only 1/2 game behind, players should be cut and coaches fired..."

The Packers have beaten da bears 6 straight times, and they are not just without Cutler, their defensive line play has been terrible and their safety play has been even worse. Add to that, CB Peanut Tillman has been struggling with a knee injury and with Briggs and Williams out da bears are turning to two rookie linebackers with a grand total of 1 start between them.

Divisional games should never be taken lightly, and are often much closer than fans anticipate. Having said that, the Packers should beat da bears like a drum at Lambeau on Monday night given all of the above.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:19:50 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
With Cutler and Briggs out, plus playing at home this should be the easiest game of the year for the Pack.

Packers win by 14.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:01:22 PM by ChicagoPackerFan »