November 24, 2017, 06:58:27 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL (non Rodgers) Eagles v. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 32561 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL (non Rodgers) Eagles v. Packers Game Day Thread
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:32:12 AM »
Eight more games. Eight more chances to overcome the latest- and most irreplacable- injury. Remember- its the playoffs that count. The regular season is only a fight for some advantages in the playoffs. I'm not giving up. Neither will the Packers.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL (non Rodgers) Eagles v. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:49:31 AM »
Game vs Eagles will be huge for playoff implications alone...   Eagles are 4-5 and with a win would be 1/2 back of Packers and own the tiebreaker.

If the defense does not step up, Eagles could easily put up 30 points on the Packers.  I honestly do not see Packers scoring more than 30 points with Wallace at QB so this game will squarely be on the defense to win it IMO.

Interesting Eagles are 0-4 at home and 4-1 on the road with only loss at Denver.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:06:11 AM »
The D better play better than they did last night or it will be another long afternoon.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
If I was putting money down I would not pick Green Bay to win with Wallace even with a week of practice.
Having Lang (concussion) out even makes more of a long shot.

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
this is a winnable game, even without Rodgers.  don't get me wrong, losing the MVP is a huge blow but we're still a talented and well-coached football team.

our pass rush disappeared in the second half of the Bears game.  to McCown's credit, he was very aware in the pocket and released the ball when he had to.  look for us to bring more corner and safety blitzes, assuming Matthews is still on the sidelines.

the other thing i noticed is that Wallace seems to have no idea how to step up into the pocket to avoid the outside pass rush.  he was constantly trying to scramble away outside.  that might have worked for him 10 years ago but not anymore.  this is especially important since Bak's style (or perhaps the gameplan) is to keep the rusher on the outside even if it means he can eventually loop all the way around to the QB.  the difference is that Rodgers has the pocket awareness and instincts to avoid and account for this.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
I think that the packers can summon enough from their offense  that with a good defensive effort, they can win this game.

Mathews has a chance to play. I also think the Eagles will see a lot of non-tradional Packer offensive formations this week. The Eagle defense isn't anything special and let's give our run game some credit. Also I don't expect any miracles from Wallace, but I think we can get a more efficient and productive pass game from him as well.

Defense played pretty solid for stretches of the game last night, but the two drives at the end of the half and the end of the game were drives that they can't let happen. I have confidence that they will improve especially if Mathews and maybe Perry can join the attack.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »
The Eagles are going to do what they can to isolate McCoy on our ILBers.  Hawk looked like his old, slow self vs. the Bears.  I don't see that matchup being productive for us.  The way they spread it out and go at a fast pace I don't see the strength of our defense, the DL, being much of a factor. 

Wallace must be able to throw vs. the 8 man front.  He needs to connect on a few slants or go routes for big plays to hold serve.  If Wallace is ineffective I hope MM doesn't take long to pull the plug.  Tolzein seems to have an NFL arm.  I imagine that either QB could throw 2 - 3 picks. I'd just as soon Tolzien be that guy seeing he can at least get the ball to out WR.

This game would be such a gimme if we had #12, much less the other 10 starters we're missing.  Hopefully we can grind out a W. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:58:20 PM »
Eight more games. Eight more chances to overcome the latest- and most irreplacable- injury. Remember- its the playoffs that count. The regular season is only a fight for some advantages in the playoffs. I'm not giving up. Neither will the Packers.

Good for you ricky, and I would not call my self a Packer fan if I expected anything less.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »
The Eagles are going to do what they can to isolate McCoy on our ILBers.  Hawk looked like his old, slow self vs. the Bears.  I don't see that matchup being productive for us.  The way they spread it out and go at a fast pace I don't see the strength of our defense, the DL, being much of a factor. 

Wallace must be able to throw vs. the 8 man front.  He needs to connect on a few slants or go routes for big plays to hold serve.  If Wallace is ineffective I hope MM doesn't take long to pull the plug.  Tolzein seems to have an NFL arm.  I imagine that either QB could throw 2 - 3 picks. I'd just as soon Tolzien be that guy seeing he can at least get the ball to out WR.

This game would be such a gimme if we had #12, much less the other 10 starters we're missing.  Hopefully we can grind out a W.
Tolzein doesn't have much of an arm either. 
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
cpk, there is no other realistic alternative to Wallace than Tolzien. I'm hopeful the coaches, Wallace and the WRs will be able to figure out what will they can do to make the passing game more effective. I read somewhere (Wilde, I believe) that Wallace used to be good at throwing sideline patterns- something Nelson is also very good at executing. That might be a place to start. Because I'd rather look for answers than simply wring my hands.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »
Unfortunately, neither your answers nor mine are going to make any difference, so it's back to hand-wringing and hoping for the first part of the post to come true.

Offline Phishtar

• Second String
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »
The most important thing to see is how well the defense plays with the apparent addition of CM3 (albeit with a club on one hand) and Perry.  The pass rush is where they really suffered against the Bears.  Couldn't get off the field on third down and eventually the Bears just wore down that front 7.  With a real pass rush, I trust the Packers D this year in a way I havent' since the 2010 season.  Then its just matter of Wallace putting together long drives with high percentage throws and staying away from turnovers.  The schedule the rest of the way is so soft its almost comical.  I've said to my friends, I think the season will come down to the next three games (Philly, @NYG, Minny), provided Rodgers can play all of December.  Lose em all, and they are done.  One win and you'll still have a shot at a wild card, two and your going into Chicago the last week with a likely shot at the division.  All three and a bye isn't even out of the question.
But you gotta start with one.  Lets get it, GB!

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »

Packers: 45
Eagles:   13

Wallace has a great day 14-20 252 yards and 2 TD's
Lacy and Starks combine for 162 yards.

The win prompts a thread: "Trade Rodgers?"
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
Everyone get their vote in this weeks Pick the winner Poll??
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »
Phistar and Beagle, you both give me hope. Who knows how well Wallace will play? All he has to be is a game manager.Who else would be in favor of letting Sherrod man RT this Sunday if Lang is out with the concussion? He's been practicing for a while, and he's got to get some reps sometime, so why not now? Because Newhouse, at least according to McGinn, was terrible against the Bears. Lets recall that Flynn came in and stunk it up against the Lions in relief of AR when he had the concussion during the game. The next game, with a full week of prep as a starter, he almost led the Packers to a win over NE.