November 19, 2017, 10:05:41 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Vikings vs. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 38932 times)

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Vikings vs. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
The only way we have a chance at winning this game is if we win the turnover battle.  Tolzien cannot afford to turn the ball over and like golfman said it's highly unlikely he'll have a mistake free game.  The way he plays reminds me all too much of Favre, in a bad way.  He's a gunslinger, trusts his arm too much.  He does make some awesome throws that leave you in awe but then he makes boneheaded decisions that leave you shaking your head.
Tolzein is not even close to a gunslinger. If you knew anything about Tolzein in college, he almost never took risks as he was strictly a game manager. Ball control was his game. A gunslinger he is not.

Don't blame him much because of the lack of preparation and the playcalling, but he sure played the part yesterday.

Offline hitnhope

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »
Tolzien is no Farve, and not a gunslinger.

He is a 3rd string QB with some talent, who is not ready to win at this time.

Online green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:15 PM »
As expected, Tolzien will be starting again this game.

maxman44

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
I think if the Packers can find a way to win this game they still make the playoffs - if not, season over

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »
I think if the Packers can find a way to win this game they still make the playoffs - if not, season over

um, and beat the Lions. Even with Aaron that's not a given, and Aaron is not a given. It's too soon, imho, to be talking playoffs, there's too many teams at 6-4 or 5-5. I stand by my earlier statement: we're not going to make it as a wild card, we need to win our division.

I could see the Lions finishing at 10-6 or 9-7.
I could see the Bears finishing at 10-6 or 9-7.
If we lose to the Vikings, then we might win the division by running the table.
Most importantly, we do not control our own fate.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 01:31:27 AM »
This game is winnable, but we're going to have to play mistake free football. I'm not certain at this point in his career, Tolzien is capable of that type of game.

I can pretty much guarantee he is not.

Also, any news on Jolly. If he is out, Peterson is going to shred them.

I heard AP was limited with a groin injury against Seattle on Sunday so we might get lucky and he'll not be 100% this week.  These kind of injuries can linger...

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 01:33:41 AM »
We will outplay the Queens for most of the game but lose it. There is little point in winning at this point and MM and TT have us moving in the right direction.
There is little point in you being a Packer fan with this nonsense.

x2

Not even sure why those people even show up here instead of doing something worthwhile that isn't so stressful for them...like thinking and communicating with a clear head instead of just pounding the key board in frustration.

Sorry that I have an opinion that differs from yours and that you view that as not worthwhile and merely an exercise in frustration. I see little point in rushing AR back.The last 3 games have made it painfully clear that without him, we are in a bad shape. A broken bone is a broken bone. To salivate at the slim chance that we might have AR back for the Lions game is both unlikely and foolish. We need him healthy but not at a high level of risk. I am looking to next year for pragmatic reason as well as the long term health of our team.

He will not go out and play until his collarbone is completely healed.  Once it is he won't be in any more danger of further harm to it than if it was never broken in the first place.

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »
The only way we have a chance at winning this game is if we win the turnover battle.  Tolzien cannot afford to turn the ball over and like golfman said it's highly unlikely he'll have a mistake free game.  The way he plays reminds me all too much of Favre, in a bad way.  He's a gunslinger, trusts his arm too much.  He does make some awesome throws that leave you in awe but then he makes boneheaded decisions that leave you shaking your head.
Tolzein is not even close to a gunslinger. If you knew anything about Tolzein in college, he almost never took risks as he was strictly a game manager. Ball control was his game. A gunslinger he is not.

Don't blame him much because of the lack of preparation and the playcalling, but he sure played the part yesterday.

His INTs notwithstanding I was impressed with his pocket presence and some of his throws downfield.   He seems to have a good enough arm and he stood in there knowing he was gonna get hammered.  What hurt him was no running game to speak of.  Hopefully MN is not as good against the run as the NYG.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 05:17:34 AM »
After hearing that AP has been bothered by a lingering groin issue, I think GB has a good shot of winning this game.  If AP is healthy, I think it's a toss up.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
I'm hopeful about this game, though not optimistic. It seems highly likely that the Vikings will simply stack the box, try to stuff the running game, and dare Tolzien to beat them with his arm. Right now, that is unlikely to happen. Tolzien reminds me of David Whitehurst many years ago, or B.J. Coleman more recently. A fan favorite who hasn't really done much. Yes, his stats improved from his first game to his second game, as did his passer rating. But in both games, he made crucial interceptions, and simply didn't show the ability to get the defense to back off and give the running game a chance of success.

On offense, its likely the Vikings are going to try to get Peterson, and, very probably, the Packers will try to again make AP ineffective, and dare the Vikings QB to beat them. In this case, Ponder has shown he can be up to the task, since he does tend to have good games against the Packers. Also, the Packers defense has pretty much collapsed in run defense since AR went down, while the pass defense has been very vulnerable.

Lastly, expect the Vikings to get good field position after the Packers score field goals, because the Packers are going to be very aware of Cordarelle (sp?) Patterson after the last game. So, can the Packers win this game? Absolutely. Will they? I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 08:28:45 AM »
It will come down to Ponder vs Tolzien.

This is the week with Rodgers out where we will be most evenly matched.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »
It will come down to Ponder vs Tolzien.

This is the week with Rodgers out where we will be most evenly matched.

If we win this game we're back in the 'hunt' for a playoff spot. Should we lose, we're out of the playoff hunt. Assuming Rodgers doesn't play Thanksgiving, to me makes sense. If we come out of the Thanksgiving game 5-7 you hold Rodgers out at least two more weeks to make sure he's good to go. I'd be OK with giving him the balance of the season off at that point and figuure out if Tolzien or Flynn are your answer at back up QB moving in 2014.

AP or not, this team has to play better football than we did the past two weeks. Our run defense has been very poor and the secondary has been letting folks run free. Not to mention the turnovers we are committing and not getting on defense.

This game is winnable, but we'll need to play better than the past 2 games.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
Viking secondary is getting real thin.

Starting CB, Josh Robinson, is out for at least a month with a fractured sternum.

That leaves them with Christ Cook and Xavier Rhodes as their top 2 CB's. Their #3 is Marcus Sherels.

They were already a suspect group. Now they are a real weak group.

I'd be planning a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets if I was MM.

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
i'd like to see us open up the passing game from the get-go.  Tolzien can make those intermediate throws, he just needs to be a little more careful. 

everyone knew we would try to lean on the run early in the Giants game.  here we should throw the ball to set up the run.  big picture though, this Vikes D is pretty short on playmakers (Jared Allen and...?) so hopefully we don't have much trouble moving the ball. 

maxman44

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 06:48:53 AM »

um, and beat the Lions. Even with Aaron that's not a given, and Aaron is not a given. It's too soon, imho, to be talking playoffs, there's too many teams at 6-4 or 5-5. I stand by my earlier statement: we're not going to make it as a wild card, we need to win our division.

I could see the Lions finishing at 10-6 or 9-7.
I could see the Bears finishing at 10-6 or 9-7.
If we lose to the Vikings, then we might win the division by running the table.
Most importantly, we do not control our own fate.

I was assuming ARod would be back for the Lions game...now that is not looking good...