November 19, 2017, 10:04:41 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Vikings vs. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 38931 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Vikings vs. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »

I was assuming ARod would be back for the Lions game...now that is not looking good...
[/quote]

If you read the tea leaves in Rodgers interview, Thankgiving game isn't happening. Best case scenario is Pack would be 6-6 and 2 games behind Detroit with the tiebreaker undecided. If we lose to Vikes as well 5-7, time to keep Rodgers out and figure out who is our back up for 2014, Flynn or Tolzien.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Seems Rodgers is being less optimistic now and is agreeing with the wide held opinion that his type of injury takes 6-8 weeks to fully heal.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
Seems Rodgers is being less optimistic now and is agreeing with the wide held opinion that his type of injury takes 6-8 weeks to fully heal.
That is not the case at all. He never agreed with it. He only stated that 6-8 weeks is the normal recovery time for a normal person.

If you read the tea leaves in Rodgers interview, Thankgiving game isn't happening. Best case scenario is Pack would be 6-6 and 2 games behind Detroit with the tiebreaker undecided. If we lose to Vikes as well 5-7, time to keep Rodgers out and figure out who is our back up for 2014, Flynn or Tolzien.
That is not what I got from the interview at all. What I got was someone with a poker face. He or the team are not about to tip when he will return. They want to keep opponents guessing  He is now throwing and running without pain. In fact, I am more confident then ever that he will be back for the Detroit game just as I have stated from the start.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:14:47 AM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
I got the same impression that ChicagoPackerFan and Golfman did.  The optimism is fading.

At this point, Rodgers' return is getting less likely with each loss.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
I came away less confident about the Detroit game.

As I said a week ago, with the injury he has, it is unlikely he would have pain throwing even very early on.  It would hurt when he needed to work the left arm, like pulling a shirt on or off, or rolling on it while sleeping.  Running didn't appear to hurt him even the night he did it.

If he has to clear the doctor, and if the criteria includes being able to sustain a hit from Fairley or Suh, then he likely won't be back for Detroit. 

The other thing is he did say he will play when ready, even if they are out of playoff contention.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:32:42 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
He may play when ready, the problem is that "ready" is a bit of a gray area, meaning the risk of further injury is at a point where they are willing to send him back on the field.  This is the case with a lot of injuries.  Casey Hayward's hamstring injury and Nick Perry's broken foot are some examples that immediately come to mind.

The less there is to gain, the less reason there is to send him back out there.  For example, if the playoffs were on the line, they may be willing to roll the dice and send him out there once he is 90% recovered.  Given the potential rewards, they could deem this scenario to be acceptable.  If they are mathematically eliminated, they may refuse to send him back out there until he is absolutely and positively at 100%.  In this scenario, who knows now many additional weeks it would take to go from 90% to 100%?

Offline tedbrogen

• Second String
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
I do like the concept of this just being a poker face that he is putting on. And I also agree with the gray area on when he is healthy enough to return.

Just a scenario that is possibly going on right now, but I could be totally wrong. They don't want to risk him in the Vikings game because he obviously isn't 100% yet and of any game this is the one they could just maybe win without him. If they win Sunday (or the Bears and Lions somehow both lose) they still control they playoff density, I mean destiny. At that point, they can keep mum about the whole situation and list him as doubtful for the game. On Turkey Day if he is close enough to 100% to play that everyone agrees they can risk it, they unleash him on an unsuspecting Lions team.

I mean, he would likely be fine without the first team reps in practice and is already throwing on the side. If the season isn't lost already before the Lions game, why not throw him out there if he is willing to risk it? Seriously, someone give me the absolute worst case scenario.

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
I do like the concept of this just being a poker face that he is putting on. And I also agree with the gray area on when he is healthy enough to return.

Just a scenario that is possibly going on right now, but I could be totally wrong. They don't want to risk him in the Vikings game because he obviously isn't 100% yet and of any game this is the one they could just maybe win without him. If they win Sunday (or the Bears and Lions somehow both lose) they still control they playoff density, I mean destiny. At that point, they can keep mum about the whole situation and list him as doubtful for the game. On Turkey Day if he is close enough to 100% to play that everyone agrees they can risk it, they unleash him on an unsuspecting Lions team.

I mean, he would likely be fine without the first team reps in practice and is already throwing on the side. If the season isn't lost already before the Lions game, why not throw him out there if he is willing to risk it? Seriously, someone give me the absolute worst case scenario.

What would be the worst case scenario? Season/career ending injury. A bone heals stronger than it was AFTER many months, not weeks. I fracture turned into a break may not be the same. Green twig breaks never heal as good as before. Broken bones are sharp, they can do other damage. Majik had a high ankle sprain, we know how that ended.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »

I'm not an expert but as I understand things, his collarbone is cracked, not broken.  This means it will heal as is and given enough time, he will have no to little long term effects.  Until the bone heals completely, it is in a weakened state and more vulnerable to a complete break.  In other words, the right hit could finish the job.  A complete break is much more significant.  Ive heard that for this type of injury, they don't reset the bone.  It essentially fuses on its own and you have a lump for the rest of your life.  With a complete break you are never quite the same again.  The recovery time is also 3-5 months.

Like I said, I am no expert.  This is just what I have gathered from reading articles online.

Offline GB Jim

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »
The Packers are not the only team to struggle losing their starting Quarterback, and we all know Aaron is special, most do. The ones that don't, it is usually because their starter is not that good, so less drop off to the backup. Also the defense. Yes they look bad, but they have been on the field a lot more because the offense was not moving to ball. Lot easier to play defense when there are a lot less plays. While MM has done a good job, he seems to have waited to long to open up the offense and give Tolzien a chance. I mean what do the Packers have to lose at this point? Tolzien looked better throwing down the field than the short passes.

I think the Vikings are beatable at Lambeau. MM needs to open up the offense from the start. Tolzien is young, and playing with a lead would really help him. Playing from behind makes mistakes. Look for a relatively low scoring game. Lots of field goals again. If the Packers can get a lead, they win. If they fall behind, it will be iffy.

Offline carnival

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:38 PM »
We will outplay the Queens for most of the game but lose it. There is little point in winning at this point and MM and TT have us moving in the right direction.
I believe they will do that all game

Offline carnival

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 06:46:47 PM »
oops wrong quotes trying to quote ted

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
Ponder will start for the Vikings. Peterson missed practice with a groin injury, but Frazier is "cautiously optimistic" he will play. CB Josh Robinson is out. C John Sullivan missed practice today after sustaining a concussion on the weekend. TE Kyle Rudolph also looks to be out with a broken foot. And of course they're still missing Harrison Smith.

As many posters have said, we absolutely cannot afford to lose this game.

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 09:32:16 PM »
As many posters have said, we absolutely cannot afford to lose this game.

With all the injuries to Vikings and how poor they are to begin with, I am actually optimistic Packers win this game.  I am still not confident in our defense... but I think Vikings could really struggle if AP is even 80-90%.  Our defense may hold them to 10-13 points and if that is the case, I think Packers can with this game.  If OL is healthy I think we will rush better and that will help Tolzein.... 

I am currently on the optimistic bandwagon this week.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 09:41:17 PM »
I am also cautiously optimistic about this weekend, and preparing to go off the deep end if things don't go well.