November 23, 2017, 12:14:07 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Lions Game Day Thread (early Thanksgiving edition)  (Read 39588 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The season continues. As does the return of the (formerly) traditional Thanksgiving Day game: Packers vs.Lions. I still remember the game when Alex Karras and Roger Brown terrorized Bart Starr, and the Packers OL invented the "look out block". Karras and/or Brown would blow past the linemen, and they'd turn and shout "Look out, Bart!"

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
This is the biggest mismatch since Rodgers has been sidelined. Throw on top of it, in Detroit, on Thanksgiving and we could get trashed. Our top 2 CB's will probably be out in Shields and Hayward (IR). We are still struggling against the rush and the pass and Calvin Johnson isn't going to make that pain go away. Their defensive line is tough, especially with Ansah back.

This was a tough win wiht Rodgers, I don't see it going well for us without him and who knows how Lacy is going to come back. This is the game were we can finaly stick a fork in our playoff chances for good,
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
I see Detroit winning this game
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
I see Detroit winning this game
I saw Detroit winning the last two games.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Packers defense is horrible... if Bush and Megatron are healthy they put up 35+ points easy... Packers cannot keep up and lose.  At most I seen Packers getting 24 points if Flynn starts and does what he could today.

Offline banman7320

• Starter
Have to agree with the majority here, GB does not stand a good chance.  If we're lucky we'll be able to keep within a couple scores.  I have a feeling our defense will fold like a cheap tent vs Stafford and Johnson.  Game could be over by half time.  Yup, I'm that pessimistic.

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
Have to agree with the majority here, GB does not stand a good chance.  If we're lucky we'll be able to keep within a couple scores.  I have a feeling our defense will fold like a cheap tent vs Stafford and Johnson.  Game could be over by half time.  Yup, I'm that pessimistic.

I'm going to eat more Turkey than I ever have before, it will help to dull the pain!

Offline Thom_Tedson

• Starter
Why is a tie not an option in the poll? :) I think this is either a blow out or a super bizarre game.

The Lions are hilariously bad screw ups. The best thing we could do to them is let them win and make the playoffs. This will keep Swartz there another couple years.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Well, maybe we should in fact show up and play the game. I saw a clear difference in the defense when Flynn went in - they had something to play for.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
I picked GB just b/c I can't think of any reason for GB to win this game.  This is when they usually surprise me.

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Lions Game Day Thread (early Thanksgiving edition)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:10:36 AM »
I think that we will lose and await the outcome. At that point we will have gone winless in our last 5 games,but there will still be trolls that argue that we are only 1 1/2 games out of the division lead and that we control our own destiny. Here is the destiny that we control:

1. positioning TT in the draft, were we are unequaled
2. finding out whether a true #2 QB is on our team and making acquisitions based on that
3. giving young players a chance to play so we can determine which veterans we can afford to let go.

Few of these things result from playing many of the player that we are playing now.
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline tedbrogen

• Second String
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 06:29:48 AM »
Well, maybe we should in fact show up and play the game. I saw a clear difference in the defense when Flynn went in - they had something to play for.

Well, they didn't allow an 8 min+ drive in the 4th quarter, so I guess, yes. However, it still was a below average defense out there. Flynn came in and had a nice first drive. Got to the MN 40 and the drive stalled. Excellent punt put the ball inside the 5. Then MN ate up some time and went right down the field before the defense finally stopped them nearing the 10 yard line which allow it kept it at two possessions still gave away almost 9 yards and several minutes of game time. If you want to count that as a "stop" or "clear difference", okay, but I still saw a lot of the same issues (Jolly being the most important player to stopping the run, Shields and Hayward being by far their two best CBs, Hawk is slow to react, awful safety play, and the soft zone defense that makes EVERY QB look good)

Then the Packers scored a TD and the defense did have a couple nice stops to force punts that allowed the Packers a chance to tie or win the game late.

Then the defense showed their true colors again in OT when they just needed one stop to win the game. Instead they let the Vikings run it right down their throats to tie it.

Although the OT deal I put on MM more than the D. You have to know you can't trust this defense at this point, even against one of the worst QBs in the NFL. They had the ball 3rd and goal on the 2 yard line with a TD needed to win it right there. Run it with Lacy on 3rd down and see if he can win it. If he doesn't get in, they're probably looking at 4th and goal from the 1. Run it with Lacy again. If they can't get 2 yards with Lacy with 2 tries, they don't deserve to win the game. Instead MM got cute and tries to throw the fade in windy conditions. Lacy is the best offensive weapon this team has healthy right now and they refused to use him instead the 2 yard line with a chance to win the game. That's on MM.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »
The Lions offense will tear up this defense, Flynn will need to have a career game if the Packers are going to have a chance.

Can the defense step up, can Flynn put up the 28+ points it will take to win?

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:57 AM »
If the offense starts sustaining drives, the defense will be better because they won't be getting gassed. That has been the real problem, the dfense cannot be expected to hold up if the O can't do anything but 3 and out.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
I agree with Mark here. My gosh, all the negativity is simply sickening. Can the Packers win the game? Of course they can! To all of those who don't see the game as being competitive, or are afraid that a Packer loss will spoil your appetite, DON'T WATCH THE GAME! If you want to quit, go ahead.

And please don't try to hide behind the "I'm just being realistic" nonsense. There is being realistic- that this is a real challenge for the Packers; and surrender, which is predicting a disasterous/blowout/football apocapalypse. Worse comes to worst, the Packers are 1 1/2 games out, and quite possibly getting Rodgers back for their game against Atlanta. Add Cobb into the mix, get a couple of guys healthy on the defense, and who knows?

Never give up.   
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid