November 22, 2017, 10:31:00 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Lions Game Day Thread (early Thanksgiving edition)  (Read 39508 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Lions Game Day Thread (early Thanksgiving edition)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »
I agree with Mark here. My gosh, all the negativity is simply sickening. Can the Packers win the game? Of course they can! To all of those who don't see the game as being competitive, or are afraid that a Packer loss will spoil your appetite, DON'T WATCH THE GAME! If you want to quit, go ahead.

And please don't try to hide behind the "I'm just being realistic" nonsense. There is being realistic- that this is a real challenge for the Packers; and surrender, which is predicting a disasterous/blowout/football apocapalypse. Worse comes to worst, the Packers are 1 1/2 games out, and quite possibly getting Rodgers back for their game against Atlanta. Add Cobb into the mix, get a couple of guys healthy on the defense, and who knows?

Never give up.
Agreed. People act like the Lions are this great team. Newsflash: They just lost to a god awful Tampa Bay team as Matt Stafford threw 4 Ints. This is a very beatable team even if Rodgers doesn't play.
'
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »
I agree. The Pack may not have a "great chance" Thursday, but I really don't think it decides the division. That will come downto the final 4  games. Throw any tie breakers out now because the Pack isn't going to need them. They will either be 0.5 Game ahead or behind.  No one in the North is playing well. I think the Pack CAN win thursday. The Lions are not playing well either. Even if they dont, GB can still get the division by playing well over the final 4 games when Rodgers is possibly/probably back. The Lions still have to play @ Eagles, Ravens, Giants and @ Vikings after next week.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:09:21 AM by JPPlaya »

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
]Agreed. People act like the Lions are this great team. Newsflash: They just lost to a god awful Tampa Bay team as Matt Stafford threw 4 Ints. This is a very beatable team even if Rodgers doesn't play.

Agreed... Lions are not a great team, problem is that the Packers are not even an average team right now.... they just lost to a Dome team in cold weather with Christian Ponder looking like a good QB.  Prior to the Vikings, Giants and Eagles games I thought they were average teams at best...   Packers made Giants and Eagles look very respectable.

Lions lost to TB.... the same TB team that has won 3 straight and their last loss was to Seahawks in Seattle in OT.  Compare TB's last 4 games and tell me Packers are playing at that same level of football as TB with a straight face.

I think Lions win by 10+ points....  there is the any given Sunday argument, that is the only chance I give to the Packers winning in this game on paper.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
]Agreed. People act like the Lions are this great team. Newsflash: They just lost to a god awful Tampa Bay team as Matt Stafford threw 4 Ints. This is a very beatable team even if Rodgers doesn't play.

Agreed... Lions are not a great team, problem is that the Packers are not even an average team right now.... they just lost to a Dome team in cold weather with Christian Ponder looking like a good QB.  Prior to the Vikings, Giants and Eagles games I thought they were average teams at best...   Packers made Giants and Eagles look very respectable.

Lions lost to TB.... the same TB team that has won 3 straight and their last loss was to Seahawks in Seattle in OT.  Compare TB's last 4 games and tell me Packers are playing at that same level of football as TB with a straight face.

I think Lions win by 10+ points....  there is the any given Sunday argument, that is the only chance I give to the Packers winning in this game on paper.
They tied a dome team. ANd I don't recall a rule where the dome team must always lose outside. Secondly, the team was much different after Flynn entered the game. If Flynn had started, GB wins it. The Giants? They won 4 straight before losing to the Cowboys this week, so if you are going to credit the Bucs for it, then the Giants aren't as bad as you made them out to be.

Flynn should start if Rodgers does not. Either way, the Lions aren't winning by 10+ points. Not going to happen.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline ricky38

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »
Put me in the Packers win in a close one. Bush does not break some of the tackles that Peterson did.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
They tied a dome team. ANd I don't recall a rule where the dome team must always lose outside. Secondly, the team was much different after Flynn entered the game. If Flynn had started, GB wins it. The Giants? They won 4 straight before losing to the Cowboys this week, so if you are going to credit the Bucs for it, then the Giants aren't as bad as you made them out to be.

Flynn should start if Rodgers does not. Either way, the Lions aren't winning by 10+ points. Not going to happen.

My bad... you are correct, they tied a Dome team... just feels so much like a loss right now I guess.

I think Flynn has ability to score more points than with Tolzein at QB...  with Tolzein I though 20 points was upper limit... with Flynn I can see 28... but not much more.  Unfortunately I see Lions easily putting up 35 on this Packers defense.

This defense is bringing back so many memories of the 80's defenses.... I was optimistic when Rodgers first went down this defense would respond for the team and step up after seeing the first part of the season...  but it has not happened allowing 27, 27, 27 and 26 points...  2 of those teams were playing with backup QBs...  1 was Eli who is having a career year with interceptions and the other was Christian Ponder. 

My pessimism all originates with Packers defense....  Lions have lost recently with turnovers.... when have the Packers been generating turnovers consistently other than 4 in the Bengals game.

As I said... any given Sunday, that is the chance I give the Packers.  But my expectation is Lions romp....  42-24.

Online green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
MM stated that Rodgers playing on Thanksgivine were "slim to none", and he had not committed on a starter.  Isn't it obvious that Flynn should start? 

Offline banman7320

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
MM stated that Rodgers playing on Thanksgivine were "slim to none", and he had not committed on a starter.  Isn't it obvious that Flynn should start?

McCarthy is just trying to get any edge he can over Detroit by not revealing his starter until Thursday.  This is what he said, “Matt (Flynn) played very well. He deserves to start. I like the way Scott (Tolzien) has grown. We’re going to do everything we can to make sure both are ready.”

Matt Flynn will most likely start.  If it is Tolzien then he will have a very short leash I can guarantee that.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Sorry mark and ricky - I am a realist. That's just the way I approach things.

I do not see a likely scenario in which the packers beat detroit on thanksgiving.

Another injury to megatron?
Another 4 interception day from Stafford?
Another record-setting effort from Flynn?

None seem likely.  37 - 21 Detroit.

This doesn't make me any less of a fan of the packers, whom I have been following since I moved to Wisconsin as a boy in 1972.

I HOPE they win. I just don't believe they will.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »
Sorry mark and ricky - I am a realist. That's just the way I approach things.

I do not see a likely scenario in which the packers beat detroit on thanksgiving.

Another injury to megatron?
Another 4 interception day from Stafford?
Another record-setting effort from Flynn?

None seem likely.  37 - 21 Detroit.

This doesn't make me any less of a fan of the packers, whom I have been following since I moved to Wisconsin as a boy in 1972.

I HOPE they win. I just don't believe they will.

OK. Fair enough. But lets get serious here.Its the Lions, who are fading as the season progresses. Megatron has never been a difference maker against the Packers. Numbers, yes, sometimes, but Williams has usually done a good job of containing him. Bush? More hype than reality. Overrated coming out of college. Stafford? OTher than CJ, who else can he throw to? And you seriously see Detroit scoring 37?

Another scenario. Flynn starts the game, and the Packers alternate short passes, including swing passes and even screens (OK, maybe I'm dreaming here). The OL pulls together and opens some holes for Lacy and Starks. The Packers WRs do well against Detroit's weak secondary. Its a dome, and the Packers are essentially a dome team. Look for Nelson to have a big game, while Jones makes his usual two or three impossible grabs, and Boykin catches everything thrown near him. The Packers play ball control, move the chains, control the clock drives that keeps the defense off the field.

Defensively, have Matthews monitor Bush . Double team Johnson, and that effectively stops the Lions offense. Harass Stafford, who is not the most mobile QB in the league, though he could scramble for some yards.

The Lions also have an additional burden: a terrible coach. No matter how talented this team is, Schwartz is a thug, and the Lions will likely do something really stupid at a critical time. Its their MO. It won't be easy, but its entirely in the realm of possibility.

You'll notice, there are no heroics or impossible scenarios suggested here. This, to me, is a very realistic scenario.

Never give up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/25/lions-favored-on-thanksgiving-for-first-time-since-2000/

Found this at PFT after posting. Doesn't change my mind a whit.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:28:49 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
Nice Ricky.

Some fans have given up but not the team...or me.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
Wilde is predicting Rodgers will start...

If anybody might have some reason for having a hunch, and be willing to say it out loud, it's him.

I guess that makes me cautiously optimistic.
It's what it's.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »
This is the biggest mismatch since Rodgers has been sidelined. Throw on top of it, in Detroit, on Thanksgiving and we could get trashed. Our top 2 CB's will probably be out in Shields and Hayward (IR). We are still struggling against the rush and the pass and Calvin Johnson isn't going to make that pain go away. Their defensive line is tough, especially with Ansah back.

This was a tough win wiht Rodgers, I don't see it going well for us without him and who knows how Lacy is going to come back. This is the game were we can finaly stick a fork in our playoff chances for good,

Of course Detroit has the 28th ranked pass D in the league.  Does anyone know how good they are against the run?  Lacy could run wild again on Thursday.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »
I agree with Mark here. My gosh, all the negativity is simply sickening. Can the Packers win the game? Of course they can! To all of those who don't see the game as being competitive, or are afraid that a Packer loss will spoil your appetite, DON'T WATCH THE GAME! If you want to quit, go ahead.

And please don't try to hide behind the "I'm just being realistic" nonsense. There is being realistic- that this is a real challenge for the Packers; and surrender, which is predicting a disasterous/blowout/football apocapalypse. Worse comes to worst, the Packers are 1 1/2 games out, and quite possibly getting Rodgers back for their game against Atlanta. Add Cobb into the mix, get a couple of guys healthy on the defense, and who knows?

Never give up.

I'm really worried about Cobb.  I have a sneaking suspicion he will not play again in 2013.  I have no real proof, just a feeling.

There is one thing we can all agree with - Detroit can find a way to screw themselves.  Evidently in Sunday's loss Megatron's knee started to bother him and he had to take himself out of the game at times.  He won't have a long recovery time either. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »
Put me in the Packers win in a close one. Bush does not break some of the tackles that Peterson did.

I hope Jolly is back along with Wilson.  Not having those two guys on the D line hurt our run D Sunday.