September 23, 2017, 07:41:39 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Falcons vs. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 27252 times)

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Falcons vs. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »
can we talk about how terrible the Falcons D is? 

statistically, they're a hair behind us in the yardage categories, but they have a huge problem:  they cannot get to the quarterback, with only 22 sacks for the season!  for some perspective, we have 38 on the year.  Atlanta does not create turnovers, either through forcing fumbles or interceptions.  i haven't seen many Atlanta games this season (i bet a lot of their fans with they could say the same), but the "name" players they used to have on their mediocre defense the last few seasons are all gone (think John Abraham, Brent Grimes).

they have only beaten 3 teams all season:  Buffalo, Tampa Bay, and St. Louis.

will our offense be able to dictate the course of this game and keep our D on the sidelines, or has the Falcons pass rush merely been hibernating all year waiting to feast on our OL?

I am actually optimistic for the Packers in this game, even if Rodgers does not play.  I was optimistic vs Bears even after injury when I saw how we could still run and vs NY Giants and Minnesota for a victory.  Optimism faded vs Detroit because of the defense... but I do think Atlanta is a very poor team this year and Packers can win.

I also think the mini-bye helps the Packers.

Offline davemobes32

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »

statistically, they're a hair behind us in the yardage categories, but they have a huge problem:  they cannot get to the quarterback, with only 22 sacks for the season!  for some perspective, we have 38 on the year.  Atlanta does not create turnovers, either through forcing fumbles or interceptions.  i haven't seen many Atlanta games this season (i bet a lot of their fans with they could say the same), but the "name" players they used to have on their mediocre defense the last few seasons are all gone (think John Abraham, Brent Grimes).

will our offense be able to dictate the course of this game and keep our D on the sidelines, or has the Falcons pass rush merely been hibernating all year waiting to feast on our OL?

I am actually optimistic for the Packers in this game, even if Rodgers does not play.  I was optimistic vs Bears even after injury when I saw how we could still run and vs NY Giants and Minnesota for a victory.  Optimism faded vs Detroit because of the defense... but I do think Atlanta is a very poor team this year and Packers can win.

I dunno, man. Have you watched the same team I have these past 5 weeks?
I've rooted for the Packers in New York, Boston, Quantico, VA, Camp Lejeune NC, Camp Pendleton CA, Camp Leatherneck Afghanistan, and Manas Kyrgyzstan.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »
Will GB go with Flynn or Tolzien this week if Rodgers doesn't play? Will MM come up with a better offensive game plan this week? Because, frankly, I thought the entire offensive plan against Detroit was just that- offensive. Why didn't the offense go no huddle? They did when Flynn was put in to replace Tolzien, and the offense actually looked rather crisp. Then against Detroit, nothing. In the Lions game there was some good yardage gained by the RBs on screens- so, after some early success, it was abandoned. Will Flynn be more effective if he starts, or will he simply lock in on one receiver, and ignore others that are wide open? This occurred at least twice during the Lions game, when he locked onto Nelson and ignored a wide open (and openly frustrated) Quarless.

What has happened to the rushing defense? Essentially the same players that were so effective early on are now totally inept. Is Bakhtiari hitting the "rookie wall"? Because starting with the Bears game, he has been much less effective than earlier. Have some problems in his pass blocking ability been discovered? What is up with Burnett? He seems to be totally lost in coverage. Is the loss of Woodson a factor? The loss of that "old, wise head" that is now gone?

Now, what about Atlanta? They've taken a major nosedive this year WITHOUT losing their QB. Though that is a pattern they've exhibited for many, many seasons.

Finally, will the Packers finally be able to reestablish home field advantage? Or has Lambeau become just another place to lose?

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Will GB go with Flynn or Tolzien this week if Rodgers doesn't play? Will MM come up with a better offensive game plan this week? Because, frankly, I thought the entire offensive plan against Detroit was just that- offensive. Why didn't the offense go no huddle? They did when Flynn was put in to replace Tolzien, and the offense actually looked rather crisp. Then against Detroit, nothing. In the Lions game there was some good yardage gained by the RBs on screens- so, after some early success, it was abandoned. Will Flynn be more effective if he starts, or will he simply lock in on one receiver, and ignore others that are wide open? This occurred at least twice during the Lions game, when he locked onto Nelson and ignored a wide open (and openly frustrated) Quarless.

What has happened to the rushing defense? Essentially the same players that were so effective early on are now totally inept. Is Bakhtiari hitting the "rookie wall"? Because starting with the Bears game, he has been much less effective than earlier. Have some problems in his pass blocking ability been discovered? What is up with Burnett? He seems to be totally lost in coverage. Is the loss of Woodson a factor? The loss of that "old, wise head" that is now gone?

Now, what about Atlanta? They've taken a major nosedive this year WITHOUT losing their QB. Though that is a pattern they've exhibited for many, many seasons.

Finally, will the Packers finally be able to reestablish home field advantage? Or has Lambeau become just another place to lose?

I dont know  :)

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »

I dunno, man. Have you watched the same team I have these past 5 weeks?

Yes...   but Falcons defense is very bad, so our offense should be able to do something and Packers are at home.  Packers nearly beat Vikings at home and Falcons are on par with Vikings, so there is a chance.

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
As I said above, I think Lacy can run on Atlanta just like he did against MN so that will help our passing game - especially if Rodgers isn't cleared to play. 

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »

good point and i'm worried about this also.  for a good stretch in the beginning of the season Bak was holding his own for the most part.  he would tend to shade his man to the outside, and would eventually get beat by an outside speed rush, but that's to be expected and Rodgers was good enough to anticipate it.  but you're right, it seems like over the past few games he's really been pushed around and beaten inside and right off the line.  at this point there really isn't much we can do except hope that he bounces back, but it could be that a few months of going against the NFL's top pass rushers has worn the kid down.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
Lets suppose that Rodgers does start for the Packers Sunday. If you're the Falcons DC, do you drop the safeties into cover, or continue to stack the box, looking to stuff the run until Rodgers proves he can be effective throwing the ball? Personally, I'd take a chance early on. If he proved to be effective, switch back to the two safety deep look. If he started showing signs of tiring later in the game, adjust the defense accordingly, and look to stuff the run, knowing that he'd be more likely to push himself to win with his arm.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Phishtar

• Second String
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:09 AM »
Lets suppose that Rodgers does start for the Packers Sunday. If you're the Falcons DC, do you drop the safeties into cover, or continue to stack the box, looking to stuff the run until Rodgers proves he can be effective throwing the ball? Personally, I'd take a chance early on. If he proved to be effective, switch back to the two safety deep look. If he started showing signs of tiring later in the game, adjust the defense accordingly, and look to stuff the run, knowing that he'd be more likely to push himself to win with his arm.

If I'm the Falcons DC, I'm preparing for the Packers to attack downfield early and often if Rodgers is playing.  When Rodgers steps on to the field either this week or next week, I anticipate the Packers will try to make a statement.  A friendly reminder to opposing defenses that 8 man fronts are no longer a viable approach to the Packers offense.  So if I'm the DC, I'm getting ahead of that and overreacting to Rodgers presence. I'd rather make GB spend the first few series dinking and dunking and running the ball, even if they are effective drives. 

Offline green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »
EDS sprained ankle in practice yesterday.  If he can't go, please have a better alternative than last eek with Newhouse.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
From what I've heard on the podcasts it sounds like Rodgers shoulder has not completely healed. He has no pain or mobility problems it’s all about the fracture being completely healed. I have no idea why McCarthy doesn't just come out and say it.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »
From what I've heard on the podcasts it sounds like Rodgers shoulder has not completely healed. He has no pain or mobility problems it’s all about the fracture being completely healed. I have no idea why McCarthy doesn't just come out and say it.

MM has said all along when AR's collarbone is healed and gets medically cleared by the Docs he will then play.

Why try and read anymore into this?  deadhorse)
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

MM has said all along when AR's collarbone is healed and gets medically cleared by the Docs he will then play.

Perhaps some of us feel that McCarthy has not always been entirely honest in his statements regarding player health and availability.

Offline ChicagoPackerFan

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »

Because they knew after this latest test what the outcome is but won't release the information.  Wow top secret like it really matters, McCarthy's injury reports (or lack of) has always been a sore point with the media covering the Packers (and fans).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:51:14 PM by ChicagoPackerFan »

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
I'm not sure what some of you want MM to say...

On Tuesday afternoon, Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy spoke with the media to discuss the team's injury situations, as well as some recent transactions. The big topic of the press conference was of course Aaron Rodgers, and reporters wasted no time in asking the question on everyone's minds.

"He has not been cleared yet from the medical staff, Aaron Rodgers will practice tomorrow in a limited fashion and we have not ruled him out for the game yet ... Aaron wants to play ... it's a medical situation, he has clear understanding of where he is as far as the process of getting back on the field. He feels good, we'll see what he can do tomorrow".

AR is up in the air on his status also;

Rodgers said that there were three tests he needed to pass to get cleared – strength, range of motion and the scan of the bone — and that he’s only passed two of them at the moment. The scan of the collarbone was taken on Tuesday and Rodgers said the results weren’t “the greatest news,” but declined to discuss specifics about the results or his expectations.

“I don’t think that’s appropriate,” Rodgers said. “There’s enough people who are supposedly getting leaks from this organization that can make their own assumptions.”

Pro Football Talk

Another article on MJS;
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:57:11 PM by LMGAdmin »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.