November 23, 2017, 12:39:48 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Cowboys Game Day Thread  (Read 45269 times)

Offline MagicMansMullet

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Cowboys Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »
Per ESPN, Rodgers has been ruled out for the Cowboys game........
"When itís third and long, you can take the milk drinkers and Iíll take the whiskey drinkers every time.Ē ó Max McGee

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »

Yep. Dr. McKenzie made the recommendation, and MM made the final decision. AR apparently felt he was ready.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10130287/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-play-dallas-cowboys

Here's the story. I guess MM is "Erring on the high side of caution."
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline davemobes32

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
sigh... Cowboys by 14.
I've rooted for the Packers in New York, Boston, Quantico, VA, Camp Lejeune NC, Camp Pendleton CA, Camp Leatherneck Afghanistan, and Manas Kyrgyzstan.

Online Whiskey Sam

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
They're going to get smoked by Dallas without Rodgers.

Offline Saucyjak

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »
Season over. Goodbye

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »

Yep. Dr. McKenzie made the recommendation, and MM made the final decision. AR apparently felt he was ready.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10130287/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-play-dallas-cowboys

IF by "Erring on the high side of caution" you mean "hiding behind the doctor to cover his own butt", then I agree.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »
Well, I wouldn't quite say "smoked", but it just got much harder to beat them at their place.

Especially right after them getting humiliated on national TV.

Flynn would have to play a very good game.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »

IF by "Erring on the high side of caution" you mean "hiding behind the doctor to cover his own butt", then I agree.

How could it help MM to 'hide behind the doctor and cover his own butt'?  Losing games is not in the best interest of anybody at 1265.  This tells me Aaron's collarbone is not yet healed.   Why risk The Franchise?   Dallas' defense is worse than the Falcons.   If we can get Lacy going we can do this.  We all know how 'wonderful' Romo plays in December.   ;)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »

How could it help MM to 'hide behind the doctor and cover his own butt'?  Losing games is not in the best interest of anybody at 1265.  This tells me Aaron's collarbone is not yet healed.   Why risk The Franchise?   Dallas' defense is worse than the Falcons.   If we can get Lacy going we can do this.  We all know how 'wonderful' Romo plays in December.   ;)
Not having to play Rodgers means he doesn't have to worry about Rodgers getting re-injured. Remember, the doctors never bothered to take a scan this week. MM made his decision based on only Dr. MacKenzie's word and we know Dr. MacKenzie has a reputation of being loathe to clear a player. Rodgers had no pain after practicing this week which was much different than the week previous.  And yet, despite no new scan done or any any additional type of testing done after that fact, MacKenzie still claims Rodgers isn't ready? I'm sorry, but that dog don't hunt.

Yes, McCarthy doesn't want to lose games, but now he can claim that they tried everything to get Rodgers back, plausibly deny he was tanking anything, while basically ending Rodgers season so they don't risk an re-injure. It's a perfect way for McCarthy to cover his butt. As long as Mackenzie continues his conservative ways, McCarthy can continue to weasel his way out of a bad situation.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
cpk1994, that quite simply is the most astute anaylsis of the situation I've read or heard. This is not sarcasm, by the way. I mean it. This is what is called "plausible deniability". So, yes, MM definitely seems in "CYA" mode with the Rodgers decision. Same with that stupid decision to run Lacy at the end of the first half of the Falcons game. A stupid call, but MM is simply too pig headed to say, "Yep, I really screwed up on that call."

Anyway, definitely going to be a tough game. Expect a big, big game from Witten. However, if the Packer defense can put a decent pass rush on Romo, and if Starks can be productive, this game could be a "gut check" game for GB. Because if they win, Rodgers is going to go ballistic if they don't let him finish the season. And that could cause a real rift between coach and franchise QB. And I know who's side I'm taking in that argument!
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »

Not having to play Rodgers means he doesn't have to worry about Rodgers getting re-injured. Remember, the doctors never bothered to take a scan this week. MM made his decision based on only Dr. MacKenzie's word and we know Dr. MacKenzie has a reputation of being loathe to clear a player. Rodgers had no pain after practicing this week which was much different than the week previous.  And yet, despite no new scan done or any any additional type of testing done after that fact, MacKenzie still claims Rodgers isn't ready? I'm sorry, but that dog don't hunt.

Yes, McCarthy doesn't want to lose games, but now he can claim that they tried everything to get Rodgers back, plausibly deny he was tanking anything, while basically ending Rodgers season so they don't risk an re-injure. It's a perfect way for McCarthy to cover his butt. As long as Mackenzie continues his conservative ways, McCarthy can continue to weasel his way out of a bad situation.

Did you see the last scan of Rodgers' collarbone earlier in the week?  None of us have a freaking clue what the status of that injury is - only McKenzie, MM, TT, McAdoo and Rodgers do.  So for you, me or anyone else to question this decision is silly at best and arrogant at worst.  There is no way in hell MM wants to lose games - especially this one tomorrow!  It isn't something a coach wants on his resume or legacy.  For you to suggest MM or anyone else at 1265 is secretly tanking this season is pretty damn presumptuous and outrageous IMO.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:43:22 AM by Pugger »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

Did you see the last scan of Rodgers' collarbone earlier in the week?  None of us have a freaking clue what the status of that injury is - only McKenzie, MM, TT, McAdoo and Rodgers do.  So for you, me or anyone else to question this decision is silly at best and arrogant at worst.  There is no way in hell MM wants to lose games - especially this one tomorrow!  It isn't something a coach wants on his resume or legacy.  For you to suggest MM or anyone else at 1265 is secretly tanking this season is pretty damn presumptuous and outrageous IMO.
I'm not suggesting he is tanking. I'm suggesting that he wants Rodgers to sit out the rest of the season, so  he is handling it in the manner he is to avoid looking like he is tanking it. In other words, covering his butt. He gets what he wants, and he can't be accused of tanking because he essentially wasn't.

And by the way, they haven't done a CT scan since before the Atlanta game.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:40:22 PM by cpk1994 »

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »

Why does everything have to be some sort of conspiracy by the Packer administration? Seriously people, I will be willing to bet my last dollar that it's as simple as this....THE DOCTOR UPON REVIEWING ALL OF THE EVIDENCE AND REALIZING THE PACKERS' SITUATION AND RODGERS' DESIRE TO PLAY, STILL FEELS THE LONG TERM RISK OUTWEIGHS THE IMMEDIATE REWARDS....That's it.

Jason Wilde reported today that Rodgers was indeed scanned on Thursday evening. That was confirmed by "an NFL source" (who knows if that is true, but Wilde has more access to Rodgers than probably any reporter in the nation). MM and the Packers are not going to give details about if, when and where Rodgers medical scans are going to take place. The media spews out misinformation all of the time and we take it as gospel. Chances are this has been a CONTINUAL evaluation process since November 4 and we have absolutely NO knowledge of the logistics of that process.

These guys are ALL judged on wins and losses, from the president down to the lowest level coach. Everyone at 1265 wants Rodgers on the field.
It makes no sense at all for the team brass to have a hidden agenda here. The Packers are guaranteed to at least be mathmatically alive for a playoff spot heading into next Sunday even with a loss and wins by the Bears and Lions. Next week should still be interesting.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:57:14 PM by JPPlaya »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »

Why does everything have to be some sort of conspiracy by the Packer administration? Seriously people, I will be willing to bet my last dollar that it's as simple as this....THE DOCTOR UPON REVIEWING ALL OF THE EVIDENCE AND REALIZING THE PACKERS' SITUATION AND RODGERS' DESIRE TO PLAY, STILL FEELS THE LONG TERM RISK OUTWEIGHS THE IMMEDIATE REWARDS....That's it.

Jason Wilde reported today that Rodgers was indeed scanned on Thursday evening. That was confirmed by "an NFL source" (who knows if that is true, but Wilde has more access to Rodgers than probably any reporter in the nation). MM and the Packers are not going to give details about if, when and where Rodgers medical scans are going to take place. The media spews out misinformation all of the time and we take it as gospel. Chances are this has been a CONTINUAL evaluation process since November 4 and we have absolutely NO knowledge of the logistics of that process.

These guys are ALL judged on wins and losses, from the president down to the lowest level coach. Everyone at 1265 wants Rodgers on the field.
It makes no sense at all for the team brass to have a hidden agenda here. The Packers are guaranteed to at least be mathmatically alive for a playoff spot heading into next Sunday even with a loss and wins by the Bears and Lions. Next week should still be interesting.

Again I am not suggesting conspiracy. What I am suggesting is all on one man, McCarthy, and that he doesn't want to risk playing Rodgers again this season. As long as McKenzie continues his conservative approach, McCarthy can just roll with it and still be able to claim he tried the best he could to win games by not IR'ing Rodgers and doing everything possible to get him back starting while eliminating any appearance of tanking the season.  If by some chance McKenzie clears Rodgers, McCarthy can then say, "Well, Doc cleared him, so I am no longer in trouble if Rodgers re-injures himself. So, I'll play him." No conspiracy. McCarthy isn't tanking the season, He is just covering his butt.

Offline JPPlaya

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »

Again I am not suggesting conspiracy. What I am suggesting is all on one man, McCarthy, and that he doesn't want to risk playing Rodgers again this season. As long as McKenzie continues his conservative approach, McCarthy can just roll with it and still be able to claim he tried the best he could to win games by not IR'ing Rodgers and doing everything possible to get him back starting while eliminating any appearance of tanking the season.  If by some chance McKenzie clears Rodgers, McCarthy can then say, "Well, Doc cleared him, so I am no longer in trouble if Rodgers re-injures himself. So, I'll play him." No conspiracy. McCarthy isn't tanking the season, He is just covering his butt.

Question 1, WHY would MM NOT IR Rodgers if he has no intention of playing him again?

Question 2,  McKenzie makes the call, not McCarthy, when it comes to medical decisions. So WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH MCCARTHY? It doesn't matter what MM says, it's a medical decision.

Question 3, What is the difference between covering your butt and a conspriracy? Arent most conspiracies designed to cover ones butt?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:35:27 PM by JPPlaya »