November 23, 2017, 12:39:21 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Steelers vs. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 37410 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Steelers vs. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »
Sure hope Rodgers gets cleared Wednesday to play. This is not the same Steelers team we thought we were going to face 4 weeks ago. They have improved but a return of Cobb and Rodgers would be too many weapons for them to handle.

BTW, I'm rooting for Chicago this weekend. If they beat Philly and we win out we're the #3. Meaning we'd play the loser of the Carolina vs. New Orleans game this weekend and not San Fran. Then San Fran would go to Seattle and we'd to go the winner of the South.

golfman, welcome back aboard! So, you no longer want Rodgers on the shelf, but on the field? Good for you. Personally, I'm rooting for the Packers this weekend- but that's just me. Because I really, really hate the Bears. Really.

Now, if Cobb also returns, who knows? Because- well, you know- never give up.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »
Not quite. If Pittsburgh, Miami and Baltimore all finish at 8-8, Pittsburgh wins the overall tiebreaker (I believe).

NFL.com has them "In the hunt" yet....   I did not see how at first since Miami holds tiebreaker over Steelers.. but this must be how.

Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins and Jets all need to finish 8-8.... unsure about SD... maybe they have to finish 7-9, unsure of their tiebreaker with Steelers.

With 3 or more tied...  first is tiebreaker within Division for Wildcard...  Steelers would have edge over Ravens because of better divisional record.  The same with Jets over Dophins.  Steelers then hold edge over Jets since they beat them head to head.

Slim chances for Steelers, but in theory still have a chance.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 08:12:02 AM »
Pretty sure none of us cares about Pitt's chances, but the point probably is that Pittsburgh might.

+1

Since Steelers/Pack are late afternoon kickoff, they may have already been eliminated as Miami and NYJ play early games (they will need Miami loss and NYJ win).  Miami is at Buffalo, NYJ host Browns.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
The Schwartz is strong with the Lions.

This made me laugh....   great film.

After Cowboys win read a Tweet...  "Death, taxes and Tony Romo".... that also made me laugh.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
Pretty sure none of us cares about Pitt's chances, but the point probably is that Pittsburgh might.

+1

Since Steelers/Pack are late afternoon kickoff, they may have already been eliminated as Miami and NYJ play early games (they will need Miami loss and NYJ win).  Miami is at Buffalo, NYJ host Browns.
Again, not that anyone cares, if Pitt finishes 8-8 (best case), Miami finishes 8-8 (worst case), Miami won the head to head and therefore takes the playoff spot. Right now, Pittsburgh only has their pride to play for, and you can bet they are going to bring it regardless.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
I will be there!  This game didn't look like it had meaning yesterday morning but now it's a full on fight for your playoff life for both squads.  It's going to be electric at Lambeau!
Pittsburgh cannot make the playoffs, they have already been eliminated.

Not quite. If Pittsburgh, Miami and Baltimore all finish at 8-8, Pittsburgh wins the overall tiebreaker (I believe).

No offense to anyone, but I could care less if the Steelers make the playoffs or not. Its whether the Packers can win out the rest of the season that concerns me. And as far as Lacy is concerned, he's turning out to be a real find. Kind of like Rodgers was back in '08, when Alex Smith went #1, and AR was repeatedly shown waiting for hours to be picked. He could turn out to be the second coming of Ahman Green- or, maybe, Jim Taylor. And that is the highest praise I can confer on a Packers RB.

Of course it would be nice if Pitt didn't have an incentive for this game...

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
Sure hope Rodgers gets cleared Wednesday to play. This is not the same Steelers team we thought we were going to face 4 weeks ago. They have improved but a return of Cobb and Rodgers would be too many weapons for them to handle.

BTW, I'm rooting for Chicago this weekend. If they beat Philly and we win out we're the #3. Meaning we'd play the loser of the Carolina vs. New Orleans game this weekend and not San Fran. Then San Fran would go to Seattle and we'd to go the winner of the South.

But getting Cobb back (if Rodgers doesn't play) will help Flynn big time I would think.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:48 PM »
Again, not that anyone cares, if Pitt finishes 8-8 (best case), Miami finishes 8-8 (worst case), Miami won the head to head and therefore takes the playoff spot. Right now, Pittsburgh only has their pride to play for, and you can bet they are going to bring it regardless.

Maybe read my entire post before replying... Steelers still have possibility for playoff spot (however slight).

Steelers, Raven, Jets and Dolphins all finish 8-8.  Tiebreakers are at the division level FIRST (so Dolphins beating Steelers has no barring in first tiebreak).

In the first tiebreak Steelers would eliminate Ravens if both finish 8-8 and Jets would eliminate Dolphins.

Next tiebreaker would have Steelers vs Jets and Steelers beat them head to head.  Steelers are in.

Steelers still have a chance... but may not at the time of Packers game when kicks off if Jets lose or Dolphins win in the early games.

Thanks for reading the entire post.

Offline Geoff

• Rookie
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
Steelers LB Lamar Woodley ruled out. That helps.

Offline Geoff

• Rookie
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »
Scott Brown ‏@ScottBrown_ESPN 2h
Tomlin said it was an "easy decision for me" to pick Le'Veon Bell over Eddie Lacy in last year's draft.

I know I said this before, but just showing the evidence.

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »
Not exactly unbridled optimism from Rodgers today regarding his chances of being cleared to play against the steelers.
It's what it's.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
Not exactly unbridled optimism from Rodgers today regarding his chances of being cleared to play against the steelers.

How's that?
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »

Agree, my take on his comments were (Im paraphrasing),   I may not get cleared to play but it doesnt mean I wont battle them to play.

He said he trusts Dr McKenzie and considers him a friend.

Hard to say what will happen, but I hope the Packers keep this close to the vest as long as they can.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:19:04 PM by The GM »

Offline JacobCO

• Rookie
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
I think it's obvious from not getting cleared last week and his radio show today that the scans show the collarbone hasn't healed enough for the Dr. to clear him. The only way he plays is if he can convince them it's worth the risk.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »

Outtakes from ESPN ::

AR:   ""I'd like to thank Justin Tucker off the top here for his performance last night," Rodgers said to open his ESPN Milwaukee radio show. "Unbelievable. That 61-yarder was amazing. I didn't quite get the three previous plays, but wow."

If the Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday and the Chicago Bears in Week 17, they would win the NFC North.

"It's amazing that we're sitting here 7-6-1 with a chance to win two and be in [the playoffs]," Rodgers said.

What happened in Week 15, with the Packers pulling off their come-from-behind victory over the Dallas Cowboys and the Lions' loss, will not be a factor in whether Rodgers returns, he said.

"I don't think it really influences my thought process any more than playing last week and wanting to be out there last week did," Rodgers said. "I felt good in practice, and a decision was made about my status that was made collectively but more on an organizational level, which I understood.

"Doesn't mean I was happy about it, but understood."