November 19, 2017, 10:03:01 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Steelers vs. Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 37193 times)

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Steelers vs. Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Not exactly unbridled optimism from Rodgers today regarding his chances of being cleared to play against the steelers.

Agree, my take on his comments were (Im paraphrasing),   I may not get cleared to play but it doesnt mean I wont battle them to play.

He said he trusts Dr McKenzie and considers him a friend.

Hard to say what will happen, but I hope the Packers keep this close to the vest as long as they can.

My take on what Rodgers said today:

Ultimately this decision is up to McCarthy with heavy emphasis on the recommendations of Dr Pat.

There is no chance the injury will be "100%" by Sunday, based on scans.

There is a good chance he'll be able to play football pain-free from the injury.

That "100% recovered" from injuries is an impossible standard that no player can meet at this point in the season.

That he hopes McCarthy and Dr Pat weigh risk/reward more heavily in their decision rather than being ultra-conservative regarding what the scans look like. That he doesn't even want to be scanned again this week.  That they sort of know what it'll look like by extrapolating the sequence of scans they've already seen.

It's what it's.

Offline banman7320

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »
Agree with what you said Yuletide.  I don't expect them to make the final decision on his status until Friday, just like last week.

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »
November 3 Rodgers broke his collarbone.  Sunday will be 7 weeks.  It takes 10 weeks to heal. 

I can't imagine Rodgers playing the next two games. 

I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=71&c=1191&f=2223233

Here's the link to "Tuesdays With Aaron". Listen and decide for yourself.

Meanwhile, lets hope that the Packers play sixty minutes Sunday, not thirty.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »

What's your interpretation, ricky?
It's what it's.

Offline banman7320

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »
November 3 Rodgers broke his collarbone.  Sunday will be 7 weeks.  It takes 10 weeks to heal. 

I can't imagine Rodgers playing the next two games.

I don't think it's an exact science to know when it'll be completely healed.  The original prognosis reported at the time of the injury was 4-6 weeks.  Obviously it's taking longer than that but my point is you can't just say 10 weeks.

Disclaimer: I am no doctor

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »
Ask 10 doctors and they won't give you 10 identical answers. There is a clear judgement call aspect to all of this.
It's what it's.

Offline JacobCO

• Rookie
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
If he plays at any point in the rest of the season or postseason he's at a higher risk of breaking it again, perhaps worse than he did against the Bears. There's no way it'll be 100% this year. I think the big question here is how likely is he to re-injure it? My biggest concern is the fact our OLine is pretty subpar but that's nothing new. However, I remember in 2010 when Rodgers came back from the 2nd concussion we had the same issue and it's like everyone on the OLine raised their game up a notch and made sure Rodgers didn't get hit much at all. Can this unit do that? I think McCarthy's confidence in that may play a huge part in the risk/reward conversation.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 07:05:27 AM »
Ask 10 doctors and they won't give you 10 identical answers. There is a clear judgement call aspect to all of this.

Completely correct.
To remove any "judgment call" aspects - AR sits till next season - but as you or someone else mentioned previously - there are a lot of players who's overall and specific health (regarding some body part) would benefit from sitting down.

Its not a callous or insensitive comment to make - that GB's best chance of winning - some might say only chance of winning - is for AR to join that pool of players playing with issues. I think thats a perfectly fair judgment. 

I hope he plays - but - if he's not cleared medically and is restricted from doing so - as many others are and have been throughout the season - I'm fine with that as well - and will hope we win somehow w/o him.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 07:13:04 AM »
Exactly, which is why the media continues to note MacKenzie's ultra conservativeness. Add that to McCarthy's unwillingness to take a risk, and that is what Rodgers is in the mood he is in. McCarthy really needs to grow a set and play Rodgers this weekend. The "Dog and Pony" Show needs to stop.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 07:24:20 AM »
Exactly, which is why the media continues to note MacKenzie's ultra conservativeness. Add that to McCarthy's unwillingness to take a risk, and that is what Rodgers is in the mood he is in. McCarthy really needs to grow a set and play Rodgers this weekend. The "Dog and Pony" Show needs to stop.

But - and I REALLY dont want to go thru it the entire "doctor & MM" angles again as I'm certain no new insights are available - the collarbone is a fragile bone. There's not much too it - and a QB is fairly well guaranteed to get hit, tossed and land oddly - or get tackled and land with someone on top of him - none of which can be protected against 100%.

Its not the same as playing with a tender hammy, a semi-twisted ankle or a knee supported by a brace (as RGIII had been trying to do and Mr. Flacco will probably need to do come Sunday). There's NOTHING that can be done to protect a collarbone - except sitting down. So within that context - I'm fine with the medical opinion taking precedence. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 07:34:20 AM »

What's your interpretation, ricky?

Thanks for asking. I think that last week, AR was thinking with his emotions, and cooler heads overruled him. He was initially upset, but after due consideration (and an outstanding win), he realized it was the best thing for him and the long term prospects for the team. This has given me an idea about a new thread dealing with Rodgers. Check it out.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Saucyjak

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »
RODGERS MUST PLAY..........he is paid millions to do so. It is healed enough at 7 weeks. If McCarthy makes the decision....(which is what he did last week, NOT THE DOCTOR) McCarthy should be......fired?....no....but criticized heavily

This is a team capable of winning the super bowl.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »

The bone is broke, and the doctor says it isnt ready.  Why is that so difficult to understand.  When the bone is ready, they will bring him in ASAP.  They want him in there just as bad as you do.  The bone wasnt ready last week.  Perhaps it will be this week, perhaps it wont.  The Packers "Dog and Pony show" consists of a scan (sometimes) and a weekly update to say if he's playing.  Thats hardly a dog and pony show. 

The Packers are handling this as they should, its the media and slobbering fans that are turning this into a circus.   Rodgers will have the risk/reward talk with McKenzie and McCarthy this week, but the biggest factor will be the bone and where its at in the process of healing.   

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:49:31 AM by The GM »

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »

The bone is broke, and the doctor says it isnt ready.  Why is that so difficult to understand.  When the bone is ready, they will bring him in ASAP.  They want him in there just as bad as you do.  The bone wasnt ready last week.  Perhaps it will be this week, perhaps it wont.  The Packers "Dog and Pony show" consists of a scan (sometimes) and a weekly update to say if he's playing.  Thats hardly a dog and pony show. 

The Packers are handling this as they should, its the media and slobbering fans that are turning this into a circus.   Rodgers will have the risk/reward talk with McKenzie and McCarthy this week, but the biggest factor will be the bone and where its at in the process of healing.   

What part of "that is one doctors opinion" don't you understand? Rodgers could very well have been ready last week and the only reason he wasn't cleared is because of the doctors stubborn conservativeness which is well known across the league.  Just because MacKeznie is of the opinion it isn't doesn't make it fact.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith