September 21, 2017, 04:27:36 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Bears Game Day Thread  (Read 43841 times)

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers vs. Bears Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »
I'd sure as heck rather make the playoffs than not. But unfortunately with MM stating that he wants to make a decision about AR sooner rather than later this week, I give it a very low chance that AR will play.  An early decision seems likely to be for keeping Rodgers benched.
It's what it's.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
I'd sure as heck rather make the playoffs than not. But unfortunately with MM stating that he wants to make a decision about AR sooner rather than later this week, I give it a very low chance that AR will play.  An early decision seems likely to be for keeping Rodgers benched.

They are moving up the decision 1 day, not a whole lot of difference.  But I am not optimistic Rodgers plays either.

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
Well Wilde thinks he'll play... I guess there's hope.
It's what it's.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
B position, why not sign and start Tim Tebow
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
"Tuesdays with Aaron" should be very interesting tomorrow. As long as the Packers seem to want to create a lot of drama about the QB position, why not sign and start Tim Tebow?  ::)

Oh well. Time to hum that old favorite that always cheers me up: "The Bears Still Suck". Its the gift that keeps on giving. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Re: B position, why not sign and start Tim Tebow
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 07:38:19 AM »
Oh well. Time to hum that old favorite that always cheers me up: "The Bears Still Suck". Its the gift that keeps on giving.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5aW0tj3mE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5aW0tj3mE</a>
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 09:04:54 AM »
So we may be without Matthews, Rodgers, Cobb, and Lacy for this game.  I think you could argue pretty strongly that those are our four best players.

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »
schefter reporting on ESPN that Rodgers won't play this week
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »
So Rodgers admits this week that he is not medically cleared yet, and that they have gotten second opinions on the injury.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 02:59:52 PM »
So Rodgers admits this week that he is not medically cleared yet, and that they have gotten second opinions on the injury.

And the announcement will be on Thursday.  Fingers crossed!!   cheese)

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »

Actually he never used the phrase "medically cleared".  What he said was that the process has always been about conversations between TT, MM, doc, and him. He never said they were waiting on "clearance" from the doc.

I think one way in which the team has always been dishonest and manipulative is in their implication that it's doctor's orders and they have no say in it. I think that's what Rodgers reacted against when he encouraged McCarthy to be clear that it's an "organizational decision" and ultimately up to MM and TT. (Which is exactly what MM said most recently.)

I don't think that Mortensen report had anything to do with Rodgers wanting to seem tough. I think Rodgers was protecting his friend dr McKenzie from the ire of the fans who think doc is a dictator with overly conservative opinions, who must "medically clear" Rodgers before Rodgers can play.  That is absolutely false.  The conversations between TT, MM, AR, and doc center around the medical issue obviously but the only person who has any final say in that room is TT.

The media still does not get this. They still ask MM in press conferences about "medical clearance" as if it's a prerequisite for MM and TT to then be able to choose to play Rodgers.  I wish the media would attempt to get their facts straight, but the Packers messaging, such that it's been, has served one purpose very well - to obfuscate the situation and cement this notion that doc Pat has veto authority over whether Rodgers plays.
It's what it's.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 05:12:41 PM »

Actually he never used the phrase "medically cleared".  What he said was that the process has always been about conversations between TT, MM, doc, and him. He never said they were waiting on "clearance" from the doc.

I think one way in which the team has always been dishonest and manipulative is in their implication that it's doctor's orders and they have no say in it. I think that's what Rodgers reacted against when he encouraged McCarthy to be clear that it's an "organizational decision" and ultimately up to MM and TT. (Which is exactly what MM said most recently.)

I don't think that Mortensen report had anything to do with Rodgers wanting to seem tough. I think Rodgers was protecting his friend dr McKenzie from the ire of the fans who think doc is a dictator with overly conservative opinions, who must "medically clear" Rodgers before Rodgers can play.  That is absolutely false.  The conversations between TT, MM, AR, and doc center around the medical issue obviously but the only person who has any final say in that room is TT.

The media still does not get this. They still ask MM in press conferences about "medical clearance" as if it's a prerequisite for MM and TT to then be able to choose to play Rodgers.  I wish the media would attempt to get their facts straight, but the Packers messaging, such that it's been, has served one purpose very well - to obfuscate the situation and cement this notion that doc Pat has veto authority over whether Rodgers plays.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the interview yet, and it can get parsed a lot of different ways but here's what I'm reading:

"He said that McKenzie has sought second opinions and consulted with other doctors "

"“As of last week, I thought there would be a lot more healing that would have gone on,” he said. “Learned a lot about the clavicle, the kind of blood flow, or lack of, it gets as being a reason it didn’t look as good as we wanted it to last week."

"Rodgers said that any negative comments toward McKenzie were unwarranted. He said McKenzie has been willing to consult with others to get as much information as possible."

"If you want to be mad at anything in this situation, be mad at the fact that my collarbone hasn't healed the way we wanted to," Rodgers said. "There's no reason throwing hatred or hateful comments Doc's way or Ted's way or Mike's way. This is unfortunately a difficult injury that has taken, in all honesty, the normal time to heal.

I think when looking at Rodgers' comments, clearly the medical issues still dominate the discussion, and while maybe McKenzie doesn't make the call, his assessment is trusted in the discussion.  Maybe "medical clearance" is the wrong term, but it sounds like he has not received a positive "medical opinion".   What I see is that the injury has been slow to heal and so we wait.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
Yep the risk part of the risk/reward equation has always been about the injury. Nothing else it could possibly be.

But I've always hoped that we don't place "reward" considerations, which are entirely about the football aspect of the situation, into a doctor's hands, who's competency and profession are entirely about the "risk" side of the equation.

I think we have plenty of evidence now to show that the risk/reward judgement is in the hands of people on the football side of the operation, armed with all the information the doctor can provide them.

How "conservative" Dr McKenzie might be really never enters into it.  His role is to provide medical facts, to the best extent he's able.

I'm much more comfortable with TT making these decisions than with a doctor.  I would think all fans would be.  That's why I think it's an important point, and a shame, that the Packers have always dodged questions by implying that Rodgers is being sidelined by doctor's orders.  I'm glad Rodgers finally threw his weight around a bit and convinced McCarthy to come clean about who ultimately makes the decisions.  That's who we *want* making the decisions.  Why would a doctor who has only the health of his patient in mind want anybody to play football to begin with?
It's what it's.

Offline carnival

• Starter
Re: B position, why not sign and start Tim Tebow
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
thank you for that you just made my day thumbsup)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5aW0tj3mE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5aW0tj3mE</a>

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
Sounds like Randall Cobb might be a go this Sunday.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline banman7320

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
It's official.  Rodgers is a go this sunday.   ;D