September 24, 2017, 07:11:48 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread (Ice Bowl II)  (Read 61899 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread (Ice Bowl II)
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »
Hopefully the first playoff thread of many. Jason Wilde has opined that the Packers will beat the '9ers. Why not? The Packers have been teetering on the verge of elimination so long, and could have given up so many times, but have fought and clawed their way to the North title and a home game. Because they never gave up. Neither should we. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:49:24 PM by marklawrence »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 03:28:45 AM »
I don't think anyone is giving up, especially after today's exciting win.

I've mentioned on some of the other posts that I think Kaep is going to be a nightmare for us.  He's so athletic and good at getting out of the pocket that I feel like it's going to be really tough to contain him.

I really hope that the packers come out playing physically next week like they did in week 1.  Many people said the Matthews personal foul on his late hit on Kaep down by the goal line was "boneheaded" but I really felt like it set the tone.  Granted we gave up a career best passing day to Kaep, but at least we set a physical tone.  If we can do that again that may give us a shot to focus in more on limiting the pass as well.

And thank god Aaron's back.  As much as I love Flynn, seeing him against that SF defense would most likely be a pretty tough outing

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:02:01 AM »
Making the playoffs after a season like this has been a gift.  Of course, I could use about 4 more gifts this season...

Barely making the playoffs with a win against the Bears and squaring off against our week 1 opponent?  After an injury plagued season which included Rodgers missing time?  Players coming back and getting healthy at just the right time?  This is starting to sound familiar...

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:21:14 AM »
Oh great, the stinking 49ers again.  I think they do so well against us because their lines are so good, similar to the trouble we had with Dallas back in the early 90s.  If Lacy had trouble running against the Bears, how's he going to fare against SF?  Oh well, bring 'em on, I say. 

At least it's in Green Bay, that can't hurt. 
Lol, how lucky are we to get the fourth seed with an 8-7-1 record?

Offline AZPackfan

• Starter
Next Week vs. SF
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:47:18 AM »
With this game being played in cold Lambeau Field and the 49er's not always up to the task I think the chances for a win are fairly good, but if not and if I can be excused for sounding like a broken record it makes my season that we won and took the D yesterday against the Bears and that shocker in Dallas.   :D

GO PACKERS!!  thumbsup)
"Wherever you go, you represent the team. You will talk like, you will look like and you will act like the most dignified professional in your hometown" - Vince Lombardi to his players.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »

Question. I've wondered why Lambeau has never been considered (or been) one of the louder venues for visiting teams to operate in. Why? Why is that? Any thoughts? The shape of the stadium? The age of the fan base? Or simply, the team isnt good enough to maintain that constant level of NOISE?

It seems this team needs all the support it can get.....and last time SF came to Lambeau it was like Antwoin Bouldin Day.....
I'm not sure the defense has improved much since then, so wondering what can be done to prevent that outcome from happening again.   

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »
I don't think anyone is giving up, especially after today's exciting win.

I've mentioned on some of the other posts that I think Kaep is going to be a nightmare for us.  He's so athletic and good at getting out of the pocket that I feel like it's going to be really tough to contain him.

I really hope that the packers come out playing physically next week like they did in week 1.  Many people said the Matthews personal foul on his late hit on Kaep down by the goal line was "boneheaded" but I really felt like it set the tone.  Granted we gave up a career best passing day to Kaep, but at least we set a physical tone.  If we can do that again that may give us a shot to focus in more on limiting the pass as well.

And thank god Aaron's back.  As much as I love Flynn, seeing him against that SF defense would most likely be a pretty tough outing
I am glad this is a home game in the cold, I am curious how the 49ers play in these conditions, the importance of this game should negate the conditions.

If we can hang 30+ points on them, we certainly will be in a position to win. You feel at some point we have been given so many opportunities to beat the 49ers, maybe this is the time it happens?

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
This is a game where we're going to find out what kind of MEN we have left on defense. The 49ers have maybe the best offensive line in the league. We manned up pretty well in week 1 and gave me a ton of hope about our defense. We've been playing poorly in run defense to say the least. The good news is the 49ers will come out in power formations and we won't be in Capers 'famous' 2-4-5 defense. Gap control and man up! If we slow down the run game we have a fighters chance because Krapernick isn't going to like the elements.

Offensively, our 4 WR's are a mismatch against their defense. They gave up 400+ yards to Carson Palmer yesterday. If our offensive line holds up, Rodgers should have success. San Francisco likes to stay in their 3-4 no matter what. Their inside linebackers are good, but no match against WR's. Quarless has been brilliant lately and will have to continue to be, especially in the running game.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
Early line, SF -2.5. Las Vegas is expecting a close game.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:21:48 AM »
Early line, SF -2.5. Las Vegas is expecting a close game.

I think it moves to 4 but I really think we've got a chance in this game.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »

Gametime: 4:40 ; 1/5/14

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USWI0288

Details for Sunday, January 05 
Cloudy. Highs in the upper teens and lows in the low single digits.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »

Gametime: 4:40 ; 1/5/14

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USWI0288

Details for Sunday, January 05 
Cloudy. Highs in the upper teens and lows in the low single digits.

San Francisco played one cold weather game this year, in Washington on Nov 25th. It was nothing like single digits in Green Bay with a potential below zero wind chill.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
Problems for us to solve:

1) 49ers OL is very good. Stopping the run and getting to the QB, while maintaining contain is going to be tough.
2) Crabtree is back. Combine that with Boldin and you have the makings of a very good duo. Patton shows promise.
3) 49ers run defense. No 100 yard rushers given up all season.

Good news:

1) We can throw on these guys and our WR's should give them fits. Cobb and Nelson should combine for a lot of catches.
2) Rodgers.
3) Lambeau - our house, our weather, revenge. We are due for a great upset.

We have a tall task ahead of us and I am hoping our defense can pull off some great plays and get us turnovers. We really need to play a complete game. Hold the edges, get to the QB and knock them off their game.

Packers: 38
49ers:    35 OT

We catch some great breaks, fumble recoveries and a Key INT in overtime that sets up a Crosby chip shot.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline PackerJB

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
Packers will need to score 35+ to win this game. The D will not stop the niners. Going to be on 12 again. I think he can pull this off.
JayRast

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »
In each of the last two playoff losses our turnover ratio is -4.  It needs to be +2 to win this game. 

Capers MUST play his base defense vs. CK to stop the run.  We need whatever is left in Pickett's tank.  We need Datone Jones to set the edge, shed blockers, and get after CK.  We need Perry to play like a first round pick.  BJ Raji needs to play like he gives a sh*t.  Lattimore and Neal MUST figure out their gap responsibilities.  MD Jennings MUST NOT leave the bench. 

Mistake-free football might not even do it this time around.  We'll need a few fortunate bounces and a few turnovers to knock SF off. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.