September 21, 2017, 04:27:30 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread (Ice Bowl II)  (Read 61701 times)

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
Re: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
Early line, SF -2.5. Las Vegas is expecting a close game.

The lines really have little to do with how the lines-makers see the game playing out.  They set the line for maximum money brought in on betting on the game.  It is more a gauge of a consenus of all people how they believe the game will be played. 

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
If we slow down the run game we have a fighters chance because Krapernick isn't going to like the elements.

He was born and raised in Milwaukee, and I doubt he's been away long enough to become "de-climatized."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »

The Niners will pose alot of problems for our watered down defense......
I'm concerned about our OLB's ability to maintain contain on the outside. At times at least yesterday, there were acres of open field on the outside. Not sure of the down/distance situation - but KAEP can eat that opportunity alive.

Not unusually, KAEP's worst games this year came against teams that were chasing him - hitting him - sacking him - while dropping back to pass.
We'll be challenged to present that problem come Sunday.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »

Each time, Neal told himself the same thing.

"We've got 12," Neal said.

Helluvadrive. Remember it.

I hope he remembers that in the offseason when he's going to be a free agent. One could say other than Shields, he's been our best defender this year.

Speaking of Shields....
Its clear that against CHI (and to a lesser degree DET) the Pack could use some of the new and improved variety CB - fast but TALL.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »

I hope he remembers that in the offseason when he's going to be a free agent. One could say other than Shields, he's been our best defender this year.

Speaking of Shields....
Its clear that against CHI (and to a lesser degree DET) the Pack could use some of the new and improved variety CB - fast but TALL.

Shields played great against Chicago. It would be nice if they were growing tall, athletic, all-pro, type CB at the same rate as they were WR's with that length and athleticism but they aren't.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
If we slow down the run game we have a fighters chance because Krapernick isn't going to like the elements.

He was born and raised in Milwaukee, and I doubt he's been away long enough to become "de-climatized."

I didn't know that but he's been gone for 7 years now and that is plenty of time for your blood to thin. Trust me I moved to Florida for a few years and couldn't believe how cold I would get. It was brutal.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

AldenRoche

Prediction - Packers v. Niners
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
We had a lot of fun with a rest of the season prediction 3 weeks ago, so how about a playoff game prediction?

I will start. SF 31 GB 24.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »

Speaking of Shields....

Shields played great against Chicago. It would be nice if they were growing tall, athletic, all-pro, type CB at the same rate as they were WR's with that length and athleticism but they aren't.

Dont disagree - he's our best DB at this stage - but there were a few plays yesterday where Shields good position was overcome by the taller WR's higher reach.
That wont change as WR's / TE's evolve into the 6'4 - 6'6 or taller ranges.

Notably - that 3rd & 17 incompletion to Jeffries. Shields had decent position - but the ball was Jeffries to have if he'd been able to snag it properly. Shields really wasn't a factor - simply because of size.

Again - not raging on him - but we need to find at least one good, tall CB to pair up with a similarly tall WR. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:03:18 AM by Leader »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Next Week vs. SF
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
I think we get walloped, but I don't care. We get another week and at least we have a chance at an upset. Bears, Lions, Vikes don't.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: Next Week vs. SF
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »
Combines the best of the 70s and 80s with the 90s until now.  No real expectation of victory, so I can relax during the game, but then again...

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
Combines the best of the 70s and 80s with the 90s until now.  No real expectation of victory, so I can relax during the game, but then again...

Thinking about this SF game more or less reminds me of how I feel when my wife is dragging me to a chick flick.  Low expectations going in, but there's always a chance it could turn out well.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
As for predicting the score

SF 31 - GB 17

The weather should keep the scoring down somewhat, but the GB rush defense is so vulnerable I still expect SF to move the ball effectively.  After watching GB (surprising) struggle to open running lanes vs CHI, I think we will need a monster game from Rodgers to keep this one close.  I can only hope MM abandons those stupid toss sweeps that CHI was eating alive all game yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:25:33 AM by Mazrimiv »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »

The reason there are so few longer, lankier CBs is that WRs make more money. Pay CBs the same money as WRs, and you could see some taller, bigger WRs switching to CB.

As far as Shields goes, it is amazing he has blossomed to the extent he has. After all, he was a converted WR himself, played only one college season at CB, and was an UFA picked up by the Packers for his speed. Most on here thought he'd be primarily a kick returner. Also, lets not forget his less than stellar year the lockout year. But re-sign him? Sure. Though it seems very likely he's going to go to FA and see what other teams want to offer.

Now, as to the game, Kaepernick seems to have a habit of having great games against the Packers. Last season with his legs; this season with his arm. The question becomes, will Capers be able to design a defense to neutralize Kaepernick without letting Gore run wild? That is going to be a tall order with the Packers defensive personnel.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
Just removed 2 posts that had nothing to do with The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread.

Lets try and stay on Topic.

Thanks.....
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
The one advantage we have is its at home and its in the cold.

The 49ers on paper are the better team.  In fact, on paper, they might be the best team in the NFC.

Their offense should be unstoppable. But for some reason, it doesn't play up to that.

And that gives us an opening.

If their offense is limited by the weather, we have a chance.