September 21, 2017, 04:27:44 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread (Ice Bowl II)  (Read 61702 times)

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:33 PM »
The reason there are so few longer, lankier CBs is that WRs make more money. Pay CBs the same money as WRs, and you could see some taller, bigger WRs switching to CB.

Except for the guys at the very top, it's about a mil difference almost everywhere else in the rankings.  Not going to decide if that's enough to make the position switch, just mentioning the numbers.  However, the conventional wisdom is that DBs aren't WRs because they can't catch.  Why aren't there more of the bigger guys with bad hands available?

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
The reason there are so few longer, lankier CBs is that WRs make more money. Pay CBs the same money as WRs, and you could see some taller, bigger WRs switching to CB.

Except for the guys at the very top, it's about a mil difference almost everywhere else in the rankings.  Not going to decide if that's enough to make the position switch, just mentioning the numbers.  However, the conventional wisdom is that DBs aren't WRs because they can't catch.  Why aren't there more of the bigger guys with bad hands available?

Interesting point. Maybe the beef them up to play linebacker. It's tougher for bigger guys to flip their hips and run which is more the reason than the obsurd statement made about the money which is completely off base. You are just hard pressed to find big guys who can stay low, back peddle and flip the hips to run with defenders.

Not like the old days when the bigger guys like Mel Blount could just beat the hell out of WR's and it was legal.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
The one advantage we have is its at home and its in the cold.

The 49ers on paper are the better team.  In fact, on paper, they might be the best team in the NFC.

Their offense should be unstoppable. But for some reason, it doesn't play up to that.

And that gives us an opening.

If their offense is limited by the weather, we have a chance.

Thier offense isnt unstoppable, other teams stop it,  its only when Dom Capers defense gets involved do they set rushing and passing records.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:49:37 PM by The GM »

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
The one advantage we have is its at home and its in the cold.

The 49ers on paper are the better team.  In fact, on paper, they might be the best team in the NFC.

Their offense should be unstoppable. But for some reason, it doesn't play up to that.

And that gives us an opening.

If their offense is limited by the weather, we have a chance.

Thier offense isnt unstopable, other teams stop it,  its only when Dom Capers defense gets involved do they set rushing and passing records.

+1 Pressure will disrupt any QB. I am on record saying if we can get pressure on Krapernick we can win. If not, we're toast.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
I said their offense SHOULD be unstoppable.

But for some reason it doesn't play up to that level.

If you go through their offensive starters, no one in the NFC is better overall.

They have one of the best OL.  They have, in Davis, a Pro Bowl TE.  In Crabtree, Manningham and Bolden, they a a really good trio of WR who can compare with anyone.

In Frank Gore, they have a top five RB in the NFC.

I think one of the problems is that they have gotten away from the pistol and read option.  Who ran that better than Kaepernick?  I mean he ruined us with it.  But they have tried to turn him into a conventional QB.  When I think he does better unconventionally, when you can't predict him.

And when you get to their defense, that may be even better than their offense.

But somehow, they are just not what they should be.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »

Interesting point. Maybe the beef them up to play linebacker. It's tougher for bigger guys to flip their hips and run which is more the reason than the obsurd statement made about the money which is completely off base. You are just hard pressed to find big guys who can stay low, back peddle and flip the hips to run with defenders.

Not like the old days when the bigger guys like Mel Blount could just beat the hell out of WR's and it was legal.

Could expand upon the money, but I'm not sure what it is that you're denigrating.  Please advise.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »

Could expand upon the money, but I'm not sure what it is that you're denigrating.  Please advise.

When a kid goes to college he doesn't decide he's going to play WR because it pays more than CB. He plays where his coach tells him to play. It's that simple For a poster to say the reason all the tall guys are playing WR is because they make more than CB is ludicrious.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »
OK, I thought it was my statement that would absurd.

Offline griz145389

• All Pro
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

When a kid goes to college he doesn't decide he's going to play WR because it pays more than CB. He plays where his coach tells him to play. It's that simple For a poster to say the reason all the tall guys are playing WR is because they make more than CB is ludicrious.

True, but what position the coach decides the player should play is based in large part upon what they have been good at in the past.   If a player has been playing wide receiver primarily through high school, most likely that is where they end up.   Kids are going to naturally gravitate towards positiions that are flashier.   Take a room of 100 kids with similar athlletic abilitis, and give them the choice between catching several balls a game, or playig defense and maybe not making more than 2 tackles a game, and 80% of the kids are going to pick receiver.    Since more kids want to play receiver, there is a larger talent pool to select from.   

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
If we slow down the run game we have a fighters chance because Krapernick isn't going to like the elements.

He was born and raised in Milwaukee, and I doubt he's been away long enough to become "de-climatized."

I didn't know that but he's been gone for 7 years now and that is plenty of time for your blood to thin. Trust me I moved to Florida for a few years and couldn't believe how cold I would get. It was brutal.

You may well be right Golf, but I am respectfully wondering if you are a bit older than Kaepernick. \ - : #
Speaking for myself, I know that my middle-aged self is somewhat less hardy than my Wisconsin-bred 20 something self... ( - : #

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »

You may well be right Golf, but I am respectfully wondering if you are a bit older than Kaepernick. \ - : #
Speaking for myself, I know that my middle-aged self is somewhat less hardy than my Wisconsin-bred 20 something self... ( - : #
[/quote]

I certainly am now but I was not when I moved back from Florida. I was probably a year or two older than Krapernick is right now.

Hey, it may not matter but I'm looking for any ray of hope I can find because on paper this is a mismatch.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:31:42 PM by golfman »

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »

True, but what position the coach decides the player should play is based in large part upon what they have been good at in the past.   If a player has been playing wide receiver primarily through high school, most likely that is where they end up.   Kids are going to naturally gravitate towards positiions that are flashier.   Take a room of 100 kids with similar athlletic abilitis, and give them the choice between catching several balls a game, or playig defense and maybe not making more than 2 tackles a game, and 80% of the kids are going to pick receiver.    Since more kids want to play receiver, there is a larger talent pool to select from.   
[/quote]

Off topic but still doesn't dispute the idea that the taller guys have more trouble in back peddle and flipping hips and running with receivers.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
I said their offense SHOULD be unstoppable.

But for some reason it doesn't play up to that level.

If you go through their offensive starters, no one in the NFC is better overall.

They have one of the best OL.  They have, in Davis, a Pro Bowl TE.  In Crabtree, Manningham and Bolden, they a a really good trio of WR who can compare with anyone.

In Frank Gore, they have a top five RB in the NFC.

I think one of the problems is that they have gotten away from the pistol and read option.  Who ran that better than Kaepernick?  I mean he ruined us with it.  But they have tried to turn him into a conventional QB.  When I think he does better unconventionally, when you can't predict him.

And when you get to their defense, that may be even better than their offense.

But somehow, they are just not what they should be.

Manningham is now on IR.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »

Manningham is now on IR.

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html

Pretty interesting when you look at their IR (9) where they have 3 guys who were supposed to be contributors to their team on IR. None could be considered stars but starters.

We have 15 on IR and 5 were starters and 3 - Hayward, Bulaga and Finley would be considered top flight guys. Throw in Matthews and you see why it's looking a mismatch IMO.

http://www.packers.com/team/players.html

#12 and the weather give us a chance.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:59:30 PM by golfman »

Offline BrianShetty

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
All I have to say is anything can happen in the playoffs and I am looking forward to a long ride :D
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-Vince Lombardi