November 18, 2017, 05:58:40 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread (Ice Bowl II)  (Read 68090 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL 49ers vs. Packers Playoff Thread (Ice Bowl II)
« Reply #660 on: January 05, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Kaepernick...7 carries for 98 yards???  Why does this team continually let him do this?  He doesn't run on everybody.  Why do the Packers let it happen every time?  Irritating!  BEYOND irritating. 

Three reasons:

1. We play more man to man defense than do most teams against them.
2. Our linebackers are not athletic enough.
3. We do not get enough of a pass rush, especially up the middle to force him into those runs sooner or sack him. 
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Wolfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #661 on: January 05, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
I can't help but wonder if a switch to the 4-3 would help?  Let Nick Perry put his weight back on and put him back where he's most suited, DE.  Let guys like Jones and Neal fight it out for the other spot.  Let a couple of bigs roam the inside.  Looks like Raji is gone.  How could that guy turn down $8 mill a year???   :o

I'd like to see a CJ Mosely or somebody else that might be an athletic upgrade at ILB.  I think that is a real understated need.
Need more Packers and I need more cowbell!  :)

Offline Pack2SB

• Starter
« Reply #662 on: January 05, 2014, 07:07:31 PM »
Did Raji play today and really didn't hear Hawk's name much.

Wondering why Capers didn't bring a heavy blitz on last drive. It worked great the 1-time he did. Can't understand why one would just let a qb take all day to throw, especially when the 2ndary is suspect.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #663 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »
The truth is I have no idea what kind of pass rush this team will have next season.  Best case scenerio is that D-Jones and Worthy take that season 2 step, while Clay and Perry return at 100%.  The reality is that I think we all have to hope for that scenerio because I don't see any major changes coming in either players or coaching.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #664 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
Kaepernick...7 carries for 98 yards???  Why does this team continually let him do this?  He doesn't run on everybody.  Why do the Packers let it happen every time?  Irritating!  BEYOND irritating. 

Need a new DC and new approach.  Dom Caper cant stop it, so you find somebody who can.   You are just wasting Rodgers career with this guy.

I'd like to see that too.  Happy with the performance today, but the last half of the season was pretty sad and I tend to think we'll overrate this one decent performance and keep him around to do it again next year

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #665 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »

Wondering why Capers didn't bring a heavy blitz on last drive. It worked great the 1-time he did. Can't understand why one would just let a qb take all day to throw, especially when the 2ndary is suspect.

LOL! He did and Bush lost contain and Kaepernick ran about the left end for like 18 yards.

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #666 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
We lost this game 20-23.  At the end of day, this loss is on the offense.  Before this game started, every single one of us would have gladly accepted SF scoring 23 points and assumed the GB offense could put up 24.  They couldn't.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #667 on: January 05, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
We lost this game 20-23.  At the end of day, this loss is on the offense.  Before this game started, every single one of us would have gladly accepted SF scoring 23 points and assumed the GB offense could put up 24.  They couldn't.

Agreed, though I would say it was the first respectable performance from the defense in weeks.  I really don't want us to overlook that based on one game

Offline Wolfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #668 on: January 05, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »

Need a new DC and new approach.  Dom Caper cant stop it, so you find somebody who can.   You are just wasting Rodgers career with this guy.

Could be.  I thought Capers actually had a good defense called and Bush didn't hold contain.  Who's # 55?  Is that Mulumba?  He played pretty well this year for an undrafted FA.  But he looked like he was running in molasses on that Kap run for the 1st down.  Need faster, stronger athletes for this defense.  Capers may have saved his position.  I honestly don't know.  But Ted needs to be held just as accountable.  He's the one that is supposed to get the players.  Seems like he's made out of Teflon as far as these same old problems every year.  Everybody needs to be accountable, including Thompson.
Need more Packers and I need more cowbell!  :)

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #669 on: January 05, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »

Could be.  I thought Capers actually had a good defense called and Bush didn't hold contain.  Who's # 55?  Is that Mulumba?  He played pretty well this year for an undrafted FA.  But he looked like he was running in molasses on that Kap run for the 1st down.  Need faster, stronger athletes for this defense.  Capers may have saved his position.  I honestly don't know.  But Ted needs to be held just as accountable.  He's the one that is supposed to get the players.  Seems like he's made out of Teflon as far as these same old problems every year.  Everybody needs to be accountable, including Thompson.

LB's that run as fast as Kaep are top 5 picks.  He ran past our entire defense, including DBs, for his touchdown last year.  It's really all about containment when it comes to playing QB's like Kaep

Offline Mazrimiv

• HOF Member
« Reply #670 on: January 05, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »
For the record, I am more or less indifferent as to whether Capers stays or goes.  If it was my decision I would go a different direction at DC, but at this point I think the players are as much the problem as the coaching.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #671 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »
I lost count of how many times I saw Raji just standing around, literally, and Pickett digging himself out of a pile. It was three times alone at that last drive. Personally I'm glad Raji turned down his $8 million offer, and I hope he walks. 

A tough loss for sure, but the Packers sure made it interesting!

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #672 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »

LOL! He did and Bush lost contain and Kaepernick ran about the left end for like 18 yards.

I am no football expert by any means .... however, I thought Bush was just trying to make a play.  Once he realized that he wasn't going to get there in time for the sack he jumped and tried to bat the ball down.  Mulumba was the linebacker on the side where Kap ran.  When the ball was hiked, Mulumba sucked down hard towards the middle and left his containment.  Then tried to come back to make the play. I know he hurt his knee earlier in the game but he shouldn't of even been in the game they way he was limping after Kap. 

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #673 on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »
ok, time to close up the gameday thread. We need two new threads, a good-bad-ugly, and a 2014 wish list.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #674 on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:46 PM »

I am no football expert by any means .... however, I thought Bush was just trying to make a play.  Once he realized that he wasn't going to get there in time for the sack he jumped and tried to bat the ball down.  Mulumba was the linebacker on the side where Kap ran.  When the ball was hiked, Mulumba sucked down hard towards the middle and left his containment.  Then tried to come back to make the play. I know he hurt his knee earlier in the game but he shouldn't of even been in the game they way he was limping after Kap.

That was because Bush was CB blitzing. He jumped up and Gore blocked him inside which left NO one outside. Bush is trying to make a play, but everyone has to control their gap against a running QB. He didn't maintain his gap.