September 23, 2017, 06:10:41 AM

Author Topic: Game Day Thread - 2014 Preseason - Chiefs @ Packers  (Read 17327 times)

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
Re: Game Day Thread - 2014 Preseason - Chiefs @ Packers
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:46 PM »

Thornton was carted off, Palmer left the field, I saw Hubbard down, not sure on his status.  We are also without Bostick and Tretter and with this team's history, I wouldn't count on them being back any time soon.

Barclay, Tretter, Bostick and Raji are tough losses, but the others aren't making me lose any sleep.  I'll take it personally

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
Not that i recall.  I think we are what at 3?

We lose two players each game.  Last year too.  I think it is in our heads where we are expecting it or something.

I've never felt this way until the past 4 years or so but I almost expect to lose a player to IR each game.

I don't want to be negitive nelly but I totally agree.  I am so frustrated with us having one or two players go down (and miss games/seasons) each game it is crazy.  People say "other teams have this too".  Oh really?  Tell me how many Vikings are on IR right now.  How many Bears?  Show me the stats from last year.....also, we need to count Collins and Finley when people count our numbers.

Football outsiders tracks a games lost due to injury metric.  Packers have been a top 3 team in 3 of the past 4 years and finished first in one.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
Mr. T
Game manager with a gun  :)

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
S. Tolzien 12/18 139 2 0
M. Flynn 7/15 102 2 0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:11:37 PM by Leader »

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
Well with the preseason wrapped up all I can say is I feel like this has the feel of a SB caliber team.  Offense looks great, Defense is looking pretty solid, and we have more young talent by far compared to years past.

Looking forward to a week from today!

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
Mr. T

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
S. Tolzien 12/18 139 2 0
M. Flynn 7/15 102 2 0

My guess, going off no basis whatsoever, is Ted ends up keeping both to make sure the QB position is solidified in case of a Rodgers injury.  Would hate to lose out on a Rolle or such by keeping all 3, but how in the world do you cut the proven guy or the one who has looked better with more potential?

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »
Packers should be happy with performance today...  could have done without some of the injuries even if they are potential PS players.

Going to be some long days until Saturday cut day for Packers and some of their players.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
Mr. T

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
S. Tolzien 12/18 139 2 0
M. Flynn 7/15 102 2 0

My guess, going off no basis whatsoever, is Ted ends up keeping both to make sure the QB position is solidified in case of a Rodgers injury.  Would hate to lose out on a Rolle or such by keeping all 3, but how in the world do you cut the proven guy or the one who has looked better with more potential?
Easy. Potential isn't that big of deal at backup QB. Keep Flynn and find another QB to develop. It's what Ron Wolf did re: backup QB's.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
Larry McCarren talked to Mike McCarthy after the game and when questioned about our backup QBs Mike said both were great.  I got the distinct impression MM wants to keep both.

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
Larry McCarren talked to Mike McCarthy after the game and when questioned about our backup QBs Mike said both were great.  I got the distinct impression MM wants to keep both.
I get the impression he is avoiding answering the question.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52:32 PM »
Mike said clearly that the goal was to reach the superbowl, so the choice would not be the best 53 players but the 53 that would most likely get us a SB. I don't pretend to understand that in detail.

But now the work is to 1) hang on to as many football players as they can, and 2) deny them to our rivals. They will use the 53, IR, whatever they've got.

And again, I think they can put Flynn on the street and he'll still be there in a month or two. Only NYG can use him, and even that is questionable. I think Flynn is the only player we have that can be stashed on the street; everyone else must be IR or 53.

That means players who only have potential are more likely to wind up on the PS, 'cause a SB is more important than losing a potential or two.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2014, 01:43:35 AM »

He's not going show his hand to McCarren on the radio before talking to the two players in question.  Did you hear this interview after the game? 

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »

He's not going show his hand to McCarren on the radio before talking to the two players in question.  Did you hear this interview after the game?
Yeah, hence my answer.