September 23, 2017, 06:02:03 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread  (Read 46926 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
A lot of questions will be asked before the game, and hopefully we'll like the answers the Packers provide during the game. Finally, real football!  thumbsup) thumbsup) cheese) clap)
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »
Let's get ready to rumble!

Keys to the game:

OL vs. DL: We need to establish a run game early and often. Grinding out 1st downs and setting up the long passing game for quick strikes. Screen passes to counter their pass rush. No hands to face or silly holding calls that kill drives.

Get the early lead: We need to get the lead early and force them to start having to throw the ball. A LOT!  Take Lynch out of the game for them. Force them to gamble and get some picks. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Strip the ball after catches.

WR's vs. DB's: Jordy, Cobb and Boykin need to get separation. I would use a lot of motion to make sure the Seattle DB's don't get a lot of free hits off the line. TE needs to find open spots in the middle of the defense. Get in Sherman's head so he gets stupid penalties called on him.

SHHHHHHHHH: Take the crowd out of the game. That sweet sound of silence with a hint of Seahawk fan sobbing softly in the background as the game winds down and we are firmly in control will be a great start to the season.

This game is winnable:

Packers: 28
Seahawks: 24

Packers go up 21-0 at half on 2 Rodgers strikes and a pick 6. Seattle with a late charge but Lacy seals the victory with some good running.

GO PACK GO!
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
If we can handle the crowd noise and their pass rush we'll beat them. If we do I actually expect Rodgers to have his way with their secondary which is a big statement I know. Sherman is going to be hurt by the new rules more than any CB in the game. He gets a couple of calls against him early, Rodgers will torch him deep at least 2 times.

This game solely rests on how productive our offensive line plays. The only other concern is how our defensive line holds up against their run game.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:50:33 AM »
Bulaga.  He got completely dominated last visit to Seattle, and the offense couldn't function with both the sacks and the pressure from Bulaga's side both into Rodgers on passes and into the backfield on runs. 

Offline LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:30:21 AM »
After watching the first two drives last night.  Seattle's success is predicated on bullying other teams.  The rookie HB from Oakland ran them over.  He's a big guy, like 6'3" 240 and you could tell they do not like it when their physicality is used against them.  Lacy and Starks need to wear this defense down.

Offline Phishtar

• Second String
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »
After watching the first two drives last night.  Seattle's success is predicated on bullying other teams.  The rookie HB from Oakland ran them over.  He's a big guy, like 6'3" 240 and you could tell they do not like it when their physicality is used against them.  Lacy and Starks need to wear this defense down.

Great call.  The Seahawks are absolutely a bully team.  They feed off of the belief that they are the toughest, nastiest bunch on the field. You have to push back and that's done by matching the physicality ... but without being stupid and picking up penalties.  That's my biggest fear in this game. The crowd noise + emotion of the moment = boneheaded penalties keeping drives alive or killing drives.  Neutral field, I think the Packers matchup pretty well with the Seahawks, but the 12th man is legit. 

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
If we can handle the crowd noise and their pass rush we'll beat them. If we do I actually expect Rodgers to have his way with their secondary which is a big statement I know. Sherman is going to be hurt by the new rules more than any CB in the game. He gets a couple of calls against him early, Rodgers will torch him deep at least 2 times.

This game solely rests on how productive our offensive line plays. The only other concern is how our defensive line holds up against their run game.
The crowd noise won't be a factor.  They went in there and WON last time. The seahags needed an idiot replacement ref to give them the game. They handled the crowd noise then. They will handle it now.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »

The crowd noise won't be a factor.  They went in there and WON last time. The seahags needed an idiot replacement ref to give them the game. They handled the crowd noise then. They will handle it now.

With a veteran center they handled the crowd noise and they didn't handle it too well. As one poster already pointed out Bulaga struggled. Part of his struggle was being just slightly slower off the ball due to crowd noise. That is a world of difference between winning and losing.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »

With a veteran center they handled the crowd noise and they didn't handle it too well. As one poster already pointed out Bulaga struggled. Part of his struggle was being just slightly slower off the ball due to crowd noise. That is a world of difference between winning and losing.

Bulaga was a lot younger then and I have a feeling Brian would love to atone for that performance this time around.  Linsley is surrounded by a couple of pit bulls himself in Sitton and Lang.  If they can block and give Lacy running lanes our chances of winning are pretty good.  Lynch is going to be a handful.  It will not be easy going in there, especially on opening night with all the SB hoopla going on. 

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »

That line was much younger then. They have an experienced line now As I said before, they won that game. The replacement ref gave it to the Seahags. THey won that game with far less experienced team than they have now. Crowd noise will not be a factor.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
Seahawks lost to Arizona at home last year, needed OT to beat Tampa and tipped pass by Sherman to hold off SF in NFCC game.  So they are beatable at home.

Keys:
 - Linsley at center not playing like a rookie
 - Packers rushing game being effective
 - Containing Wilson in pocket if play breaks down
 - Rush defense playing like it did in preseason and early last year
 - Keeping crowd somewhat quiet

Last time Packers played there it was 2 different games.. 1st half all Seahawks who had 7 sacks and Packers had few yards, 2nd half all Packers and Seahawks having negative yards until referees got in the mix (inteception called back for nonexistent roughing the passer, Shields phantom PI and Fail Mary).

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »

Couldn't agree more, great point.

Last time they came out and destroyed us in the first half to the point Rodgers had like 7 sacks in one half.  Then to start the second half, we just went straight at them and marched down the field a time or two.

So just like you said, I think it's either be the bully or get bullied.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »

Bulaga was a lot younger then and I have a feeling Brian would love to atone for that performance this time around.  Linsley is surrounded by a couple of pit bulls himself in Sitton and Lang.  If they can block and give Lacy running lanes our chances of winning are pretty good.  Lynch is going to be a handful.  It will not be easy going in there, especially on opening night with all the SB hoopla going on.

Isn't the discussion about the game one year ago?   :)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »

Isn't the discussion about the game one year ago?   :)

To nit pick...Make that two years ago.  ( - ; #

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »

This. I expect Lacy to be bowling them birds all night. Funny thing is they aren't a huge front or that physical imo. I think if Green Bay wants to get them off their gameplan and on their heels running the ball what they need to do. Their secondary is physical against WRs. Not 230 lb RBs running at them. I hope to see Sherman try to tackle Lacy high and see him get plowed through.

I think Green Bay matches up very well against them on offense. I don't think crowd noise will be an issue.

The key on defense will be winning on 1st down, and holding Wilson in the pocket and picking the right times to rush. I don't see any of their WRs being a threat to GBs secondary. The player who can beat them is Wilson when he gets outside the pocket. I'll be interested to see how often Capers blitzes Wilson. My guess is he throws the kitchen sink at him early and often.

Outside of Okung their OLine isn't stacked by any means. Overall GB has a much better OLine than they do. GB's pass rush should be able to create pressure with Matthews+Peppers and hopefully the zone blitzes. I expect to see a lot of hybrid fronts on 2nd and 3rd down. Tons of zone blitzes and pressure coming from everywhere. My hope is they are able to have Peppers, Matthews, Daniels rushing one side and then bring a free rusher like a slot CB at Wilson. I don't see the Seahawks having an easy time on offense this game.

Based on reports Capers has been using 6 blitzers often in TC. Odds are with Matthews and Peppers and 4 other guys rushing someone is going to have a free run at the QB. Wilson is going to have his hands full.