November 23, 2017, 12:37:45 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread  (Read 53085 times)

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »

Isn't the discussion about the game one year ago?   :)

To nit pick...Make that two years ago.  ( - ; #

Not just a nit pick.  That's what happens when you get old.  The Fail Mary is still so fresh, I thought it was last year.  Thanks for being gentle.   :)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »
If we can handle the crowd noise and their pass rush we'll beat them. If we do I actually expect Rodgers to have his way with their secondary which is a big statement I know. Sherman is going to be hurt by the new rules more than any CB in the game. He gets a couple of calls against him early, Rodgers will torch him deep at least 2 times.

This game solely rests on how productive our offensive line plays. The only other concern is how our defensive line holds up against their run game.
The crowd noise won't be a factor.  They went in there and WON last time. The seahags needed an idiot replacement ref to give them the game. They handled the crowd noise then. They will handle it now.

With a veteran center they handled the crowd noise and they didn't handle it too well. As one poster already pointed out Bulaga struggled. Part of his struggle was being just slightly slower off the ball due to crowd noise. That is a world of difference between winning and losing.

To be fair...............that veteran Center was Jeff Saturday, and regardless of the 12th man factor..........imo, Saturday was a liability in more ways than one.

I think things will be better this time around.

Offline ptisme

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 06:13:19 PM »
Crowd noise will NOT be a factor.  Our offense has gone completely silent.  I've been to two practices and the offense spends the first 20 minutes in the barn with LOUD crowd noise pumped in.  At practice, every snap Rodgers has on 11 on 11 drills is met with LOUD music.  All snap counts are silent, thus nulling the advantage of the 12th man.  They should be worried about us BTW!

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
This game is very winnable,  but McCarthy and Capers must game plan correctly and must adjust if needed. Big things to watch, 3rd and 1 will we be smart and run the ball with our beast back, or be stupid and try a 40 yard throw? Will we use short fast passes and screens to negate their defense, or continue to try throwing down field all night with a line that can't provide that kind of pass protection? On defense will we continue to cover TEs and WRs with ILBs? Will we continue to play man press coverage and rush 5+ when it works, or drop to soft zone for no reason,  rush 3, and give them the game? On 3rd an 15+ will we bring the house, or only rush two giving Wilson all day throw? These are things I'm waiting to see.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »
Crowd noise will NOT be a factor.  Our offense has gone completely silent.  I've been to two practices and the offense spends the first 20 minutes in the barn with LOUD crowd noise pumped in.  At practice, every snap Rodgers has on 11 on 11 drills is met with LOUD music.  All snap counts are silent, thus nulling the advantage of the 12th man.  They should be worried about us BTW!

I witnessed the same thing when I was at practice.
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »

Those practices were with Tretter at center, not Linsley. Although to be fair, AR has said he doesn't think it'll be a big deal taking snaps from Linsley. And the guy has played in large stadiums with rowdy crowds. But if I can't worry about something, I don't feel like I'm doing my part to help the team.

As far as runnning the ball a lot, it seems more likely that AR will pass early and often, just to test the secondary, and to set up the run. The last thing you want is for two carries to go for three or four yards toal, and face an almost certain passing down. JMO.

Defensively, this could be very interesting. What if Nick Perry is used more with his hand in the dirt, and less as a LBer? How will Peppers be used? Will a safety finally get a pick, to get that particular monkey off their collective backs? Can they contain Wilson and Harvin?

To me, a real key will also be the refs. Not replacements, thank goodness, but will they continue to throw flags like they're at a NYC ticker tape parade? If they do, look for a high scoring game, where the last team to score will win. My nightmare? Another "fail Mary" loss, as the refs throw a flag in the endzone as time expires, and Seattle kicks a 22 yard FG for a win.

Two worries in one post! That could be a new record!  ;)
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »
I disagree. Seattle has the best CB and the best FS in the game. We need to set up the run, whatever it takes, and have confidence our defense can slow them down. Then play-action. I'm not going to be worried if the first half we don't do a lot, as long as we hit them hard and wear them down.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »
I disagree. Seattle has the best CB and the best FS in the game. We need to set up the run, whatever it takes, and have confidence our defense can slow them down. Then play-action. I'm not going to be worried if the first half we don't do a lot, as long as we hit them hard and wear them down.

The flaw in this is confidence in the defense. I listened to all the hoopla the past three offseasons. I'm not buying it this time. Especially since they didn't get any better up front. The jury is still out on peppers now playing way put of his position.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline ptisme

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 04:49:15 AM »

Those practices were with Tretter at center, not Linsley. Although to be fair, AR has said he doesn't think it'll be a big deal taking snaps from Linsley. And the guy has played in large stadiums with rowdy crowds. But if I can't worry about something, I don't feel like I'm doing my part to help the team.

As far as runnning the ball a lot, it seems more likely that AR will pass early and often, just to test the secondary, and to set up the run. The last thing you want is for two carries to go for three or four yards toal, and face an almost certain passing down. JMO.

Defensively, this could be very interesting. What if Nick Perry is used more with his hand in the dirt, and less as a LBer? How will Peppers be used? Will a safety finally get a pick, to get that particular monkey off their collective backs? Can they contain Wilson and Harvin?

To me, a real key will also be the refs. Not replacements, thank goodness, but will they continue to throw flags like they're at a NYC ticker tape parade? If they do, look for a high scoring game, where the last team to score will win. My nightmare? Another "fail Mary" loss, as the refs throw a flag in the endzone as time expires, and Seattle kicks a 22 yard FG for a win.

Two worries in one post! That could be a new record!  ;)
i was at the second to last practice and Linsley got most of the snaps (Sitton).  Re Perry: I watched practice a few times his rookie year and mentioned he has no pash rush move other than the bull rush.   Shockingly in his third year now that's still all he's got:(

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »
If we can handle the crowd noise and their pass rush we'll beat them. If we do I actually expect Rodgers to have his way with their secondary which is a big statement I know. Sherman is going to be hurt by the new rules more than any CB in the game. He gets a couple of calls against him early, Rodgers will torch him deep at least 2 times.

This game solely rests on how productive our offensive line plays. The only other concern is how our defensive line holds up against their run game.
The crowd noise won't be a factor.  They went in there and WON last time. The seahags needed an idiot replacement ref to give them the game. They handled the crowd noise then. They will handle it now.

With a veteran center they handled the crowd noise and they didn't handle it too well. As one poster already pointed out Bulaga struggled. Part of his struggle was being just slightly slower off the ball due to crowd noise. That is a world of difference between winning and losing.
That line was much younger then. They have an experienced line now As I said before, they won that game. The replacement ref gave it to the Seahags. THey won that game with far less experienced team than they have now. Crowd noise will not be a factor.

Just one post earlier you said the crowd noise wasn't a factor now you are blaming it on their youth. News flash, Bakhtiari is game amount of experience as Bulaga did then. Linsley has less than any on that line so I'll stick with my original point. If we can handle the crowd noise, and protect Rodgers, he'll tear them up.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »

Bulaga was a lot younger then and I have a feeling Brian would love to atone for that performance this time around.  Linsley is surrounded by a couple of pit bulls himself in Sitton and Lang.  If they can block and give Lacy running lanes our chances of winning are pretty good.  Lynch is going to be a handful.  It will not be easy going in there, especially on opening night with all the SB hoopla going on.

Isn't the discussion about the game one year ago?   :)

Bulaga didn't play last season.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
Anyone know who the refereeing crew are ?
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
Anyone know who the refereeing crew are ?
According to this: http://www.football-refs.com/2014-crews/week-1/ none are known yet.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
Good link gm, thanks. I'll check back at that site later.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
i'm excited to see how our defense performs.  the Seahawks have a few weapons that will really test us.  Lynch is one of the hardest runners in the league -- he smashes into defenders like how Ahman Green used to.  Wilson, as we know, is one of the smartest QBs, especially when improvising.  and Percy Harvin is actually healthy since it's week one.  can Shields and the other DBs keep up with him?

it'll be interesting to see how we use Peppers now that the games count.  i'm hoping that Neal and Perry are effective enough in relief that we can rotate constantly to keep our pass-rushers fresh.