November 19, 2017, 10:07:15 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread  (Read 52719 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
...As far as runnning the ball a lot, it seems more likely that AR will pass early and often, just to test the secondary, and to set up the run. The last thing you want is for two carries to go for three or four yards toal, and face an almost certain passing down. JMO....

IMO it's going to need to be balanced. I have to admit I think we'll get beaten pretty decisively, and that our offense is likely to struggle. 

I don't expect we'll get enough pass protection to pass very well or to throw downfield much, probably quick stuff where their safeties are coming fast.  But I don't expect we're just going to be running over them, either.  I think their safety play will make it tough on Lacy.  He tends to take time to wait for cracks to open up and to power through, rather than just doing quick dives through initial slivers.  But there's a chance that their strong safety play will be able to recognize his runs, close fast, and by the time he's ready to go they'll be piling in fast.  And I'm afraid that Bulaga, Bakhti, and Linsley will all struggle a lot, with Rodgers having very little time to look and see who's a little bit open, or very much time to wait while somebody gets more than slightly open. 

I also expect that on early possessions, we'll have a lot of run-attempts and a lot of run-run-pass-punt 3-and-outs.  Mark mentions that he's fine if we don't do much in the first half, but try to beat them down.  That may well work. 

On the other hand, I do wonder:  how beat down do they get on 3-and-out possessions?  Long drives with a lot of power runs mixed in will beat a defense down, absolutely, but running 2 or 3 times only to then punt, I dot think so.  I think a defense will get a lot more tired and beaten defending a successful ten play drive with 5 passes and 5 runs (where a lot of those guys are running all out trying to chase the QB on the passes), rather than on a 3-down run-run-blitz-punt series. 

I guess I think by far the most wearing thing on a defense is doing whatever works to get first downs.  If that involves 60% pass and 40% run and is mixed up so that you're running play-action passes on seeming running downs, and getting some of those nice shotgun handoffs and runs on seeming passing sets, that's fine with me. 

I'm always a believer that for the Packers, the pass mostly sets up the run. 

Hopefull some of the early run plays will be pretty effective; hopefully Rodgers will be able to convert on a lot of the 3rd downs that they're likely to face; hopefully the o-line will provide some little holes for Lacy, and some at least playable protection for Rodgers; and hopefully the defense will contain Seattle well enough so that the offense doesn't need to score a lot of TD's.  And hopefully in a low-scoring game, Rodgers and Jordy will be able to connect on a couple of long plays.  I think it's going to be hard to sustain long drives on nothing but runs and 2-second 5-yard short throws. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 11:13:14 PM »
I agree with craig. The Packers have the best QB in the league, and a good corps of receivers. Mix things up, because, as astutely noted by craig, the last thing you want is three and outs, and then try to depend on the defense to return the ball to the offense. Especially since the defense  has had a major problem getting off the field on third downs the last few years. A mixture of run and pass- using the short passes and screens to set up the defense might be a winning formula. Keep moving the chains, whether by run or pass might wear them down. Also, the no huddle.hurry up offense the Packers have featured in the exhibition games might well be a preview of the season. And if the Packers can make it effective against Seattle, they should be able to make it effective against the rest of the league. 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 11:15:25 PM »
...As far as runnning the ball a lot, it seems more likely that AR will pass early and often, just to test the secondary, and to set up the run. The last thing you want is for two carries to go for three or four yards toal, and face an almost certain passing down. JMO....

IMO it's going to need to be balanced. I have to admit I think we'll get beaten pretty decisively, and that our offense is likely to struggle. 

I don't expect we'll get enough pass protection to pass very well or to throw downfield much, probably quick stuff where their safeties are coming fast.  But I don't expect we're just going to be running over them, either.  I think their safety play will make it tough on Lacy.  He tends to take time to wait for cracks to open up and to power through, rather than just doing quick dives through initial slivers.  But there's a chance that their strong safety play will be able to recognize his runs, close fast, and by the time he's ready to go they'll be piling in fast.  And I'm afraid that Bulaga, Bakhti, and Linsley will all struggle a lot, with Rodgers having very little time to look and see who's a little bit open, or very much time to wait while somebody gets more than slightly open. 

I also expect that on early possessions, we'll have a lot of run-attempts and a lot of run-run-pass-punt 3-and-outs.  Mark mentions that he's fine if we don't do much in the first half, but try to beat them down.  That may well work. 

On the other hand, I do wonder:  how beat down do they get on 3-and-out possessions?  Long drives with a lot of power runs mixed in will beat a defense down, absolutely, but running 2 or 3 times only to then punt, I dot think so.  I think a defense will get a lot more tired and beaten defending a successful ten play drive with 5 passes and 5 runs (where a lot of those guys are running all out trying to chase the QB on the passes), rather than on a 3-down run-run-blitz-punt series. 

I guess I think by far the most wearing thing on a defense is doing whatever works to get first downs.  If that involves 60% pass and 40% run and is mixed up so that you're running play-action passes on seeming running downs, and getting some of those nice shotgun handoffs and runs on seeming passing sets, that's fine with me. 

I'm always a believer that for the Packers, the pass mostly sets up the run. 

Hopefull some of the early run plays will be pretty effective; hopefully Rodgers will be able to convert on a lot of the 3rd downs that they're likely to face; hopefully the o-line will provide some little holes for Lacy, and some at least playable protection for Rodgers; and hopefully the defense will contain Seattle well enough so that the offense doesn't need to score a lot of TD's.  And hopefully in a low-scoring game, Rodgers and Jordy will be able to connect on a couple of long plays.  I think it's going to be hard to sustain long drives on nothing but runs and 2-second 5-yard short throws.

I agree with you that this team may get beat quite badly. But like you said it depends on what they come out doing. If McCarthy thinks they can come out and just run a few is run plays and throw down field (like he does on a lot of good defenses) ), this team is going to get blasted. But if we use screens against the over aggressive defense, quick slants on their blue coverage, fades and deep slants against the red coverage, the game can be win easily. We need to run out of 3 wide sets and push the ball up the gut when they are forced to honor our wide receiver talent. We need to throw when they don't honor our talent.  A big thing I'm waiting to watch is if McCarthy gives Rodgers full.offensive command in a no huddle. Rodgers calls better plays and moves the ball better than McCarthy as history shows. So  waiting  to see how much Rodgers is allowed to do. If he is given full reign, no doubt the Packers offense wins this game. I just pray it doesn't come down to a defensive stand.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 11:26:23 PM »

I agree with you that this team may get beat quite badly. But like you said it depends on what they come out doing. If McCarthy thinks they can come out and just run a few is run plays and throw down field (like he does on a lot of good defenses) ), this team is going to get blasted. But if we use screens against the over aggressive defense, quick slants on their blue coverage, fades and deep slants against the red coverage, the game can be win easily. We need to run out of 3 wide sets and push the ball up the gut when they are forced to honor our wide receiver talent. We need to throw when they don't honor our talent.  A big thing I'm waiting to watch is if McCarthy gives Rodgers full.offensive command in a no huddle. Rodgers calls better plays and moves the ball better than McCarthy as history shows. So  waiting  to see how much Rodgers is allowed to do. If he is given full reign, no doubt the Packers offense wins this game. I just pray it doesn't come down to a defensive stand.

Shades of Bart Starr!!!

You just gave me chills down my spine!

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »

Shades of Bart Starr!!!

You just gave me chills down my spine!

It's been no secret that when the offense goes no huddle, Rodgers makes the calls. And I think they've been about 80% successful in bringing down points in those situations. When McCarthy calls the plays against a good defense the team struggles. I think McCarthy career and legacy has been made by two HOF quarterbacks doing the hard work(that is not how I feel about Lombardi). So I really hope Rodgers gets the nod this game because he does the simplest of things . He options runs when the defense is dropped back, and he options passes when they stack the box. It isn't hard. Rodgers just knows what he is doing. If he were given the manning treatment from Indy, Green Bay would be unstoppable. When great quarterbacks call a play during timeout,  great coaches say, "Well run it and let's get the hell outta here!"
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »
Rodgers always has the reigns in optioning into or out of various plays. Yes, he will has even more when the Packers are running uptempo no-huddle.

I am greatly looking forward to watching the chessmatch of a GREAT OFFENSE VS a GREAT DEFENSE on Thursday night.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
1. Don't turn it over.

2. Create turnovers

3. Be balanced.

Green Bay 24 V Seattle 17
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
Arrogance is the downfall of many. This too will be the downfall of Seattle. Allowing Earl Thomas to return punts is nothing short of stupid.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386707/article/earl-thomas-wins-seahawks-punt-returner-job
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »
Seattle is a great team. And I believe the Packers are going to continue the trend of the challenger beating the  defending Super Bowl Champions in the next season's opener - Ravens lost to the Broncos in 2013, the Giants lost to the Cowboys in 2012, and the Seahawks will lose to the Packers in 2014.

My rationale for this upset pick is relatively simple: Aaron Rodgers in the best QB in the NFL, he will now have  Last year's Offensive Rookie of the year Eddie Lacy keeping defenses honest and under costant duress, and the Packers with Julius Peppers and a much more aggressive defense is up to the challenge.

The Packers are hungry and healthy, and I think they go to CenturyLink Field and return home with a victory and 10 days to get ready for the Jets.

Keys to the Packers success:

1.) Play physical - Seattle is tough, but the Packer invested in getting faster and tougher across the Board, don't back down.

2.) Play uptempo and dictate the pace of the game. They have been working on this game plan since the schedule came out, let Aaron Rodgers execute it.

3.) Be balanced Punch them with doses of Aaron's arm and Eddie's brawn. Keep them guessing and on their heals.

4.) Be patient, but take the big play shots when they present themselves - and they will.

5.) Be disciplined on special teams - limiting mistakes and winning field position battles is essential in what I think will be a great game on Thursday night to kick off the 2014 season.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »
Seattle is a great team. And I believe the Packers are going to continue the trend of the challenger beating the  defending Super Bowl Champions in the next season's opener - Ravens lost to the Broncos in 2013, the Giants lost to the Cowboys in 2012, and the Seahawks will lose to the Packers in 2014.

My rationale for this upset pick is relatively simple: Aaron Rodgers in the best QB in the NFL, he will now have  Last year's Offensive Rookie of the year Eddie Lacy keeping defenses honest and under costant duress, and the Packers with Julius Peppers and a much more aggressive defense is up to the challenge.

The Packers are hungry and healthy, and I think they go to CenturyLink Field and return home with a victory and 10 days to get ready for the Jets.

1.) Play physical - Seattle is tough, but the Packer invested in getting faster and tougher across the Board, don't back down.

2.) Play uptempo and dictate the pace of the game. They have been working on this game plan since the schedule came out, let Aaron Rodgers execute it.

3.) Be balanced Punch them with doses of Aaron's arm and Eddie's brawn. Keep them guessing and on their heals.

4.) Be patient, but take the big play shots when they present themselves - and they will.

5.) Be disciplined on special teams - limiting mistakes and winning field position battles is essential in what I think will be a great game on Thursday night to kick off the 2014 season.

+1 If we protect Rodgers even Seattle can't stop us.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Arrogance is the downfall of many. This too will be the downfall of Seattle. Allowing Earl Thomas to return punts is nothing short of stupid.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386707/article/earl-thomas-wins-seahawks-punt-returner-job

Green Bay is going to use Cobb on punt returns this Thursday as well.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/09/01/packers-plan-to-use-cobb-on-punt-returns/14943183/

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »

Green Bay is going to use Cobb on punt returns this Thursday as well.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2014/09/01/packers-plan-to-use-cobb-on-punt-returns/14943183/

UGH! I don't want Cobb returning punts. It's playing with fire. Having said that, we're better prepared to play without Cobb, although I pray we don't have to again, than Seattle is playing without Thomas. He maybe the best defender in the league.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »

You're not alone B!

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/09/01/14-bold-predictions-2014-green-bay-packers-will-beat-seattle-seahawks-season-opener/

Offline BlueTalon

• Rookie
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »
It's been no secret that when the offense goes no huddle, Rodgers makes the calls... He options runs when the defense is dropped back, and he options passes when they stack the box.

You'd best hope that none of that involves the rest of the team having to hear him make calls.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 11:59:40 PM »
It's been no secret that when the offense goes no huddle, Rodgers makes the calls... He options runs when the defense is dropped back, and he options passes when they stack the box.

You'd best hope that none of that involves the rest of the team having to hear him make calls.

That's why they have hand signals