September 24, 2017, 07:12:53 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread  (Read 46990 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v. Seahawks Game Day Thread
« Reply #600 on: September 05, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »
This team will win it's share of games (maybe even get into the playoffs) but the bottom line is the players are just not tough enough to play with Seattle - like a Twinkie, spongy on the outside and soft and gooey in the middle - and our middle on defense is a sieve

Ooooh that is so spot on right there. I'm going to go one further. The coaches didn't put them in great situations either a lot of the time. Morgan Burnett covering Percy Harvin man to man more than one time is a joke and a good DC, schemes so that can't happen. Running a 2-4-5 defense for the 3rd or 4th year in a row when it gets completely demolished in the running game is the definition of insanity.

This team goes nowhere until they either force Capers to change. Change the DC but that ain't happening unless you change the HC. He's never been one to fire his coaches.

Not directing this at you personally Golf, rather using your comment to build one of my own.....
From what I saw.....trying to figure out where and in what specific capacity Harvin was going to line up and/or see the ball will require some film work on this years version of the Seahawks. He didn't play squat last year - so its not like there was a mass of evidence how he was going to be used in SEA's O - so this "putting Burnett on Harvin" equation is a bit of a misnomer (? - not sure thats the correct word) as it appeared to me - on the play I can recall anyway - that we were in zone coverage - at least Burnett's positioning and placement seemed to indicate that. We want to get out of zone to so what? Shadow Harvin all over the field? Where and with whom and what body of evidence was there to create such a defensive scheme?

Unfortunately, it appears Harvins gonna be a problem. Till he gets hurt at least. The methods used to get him open - or get the ball to him - were creative and varied. Specifically designed to thwart a set defense.

Both times that I remember it was 3rd and long, one time 10 to go. Seattle had 3 or 4 WR's and Harvin was in the slot. If they had 3 WR's Hayward should have been on him in the slot. If they had 4 why weren't we in dime with T. Will sliding into the slot and House playing outside.

If Capers can't scheme for those type of contingencies for their best offensive weapon that just reaffirms my point.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #601 on: September 05, 2014, 08:12:13 AM »
Just read this headline from the WSJ:

PACKERS LOSE OPENER- RAZOR BLADE SALES RISE SHARPLY

Sorry, couldn't resist.

By the way, I didn't bother reading any posts once the game started, and after glancing at a few responses, will not read this thread. My goodness, if Mark got a bit cranky, who can blame him? The overreactions from the two pages I did wade through are amazing. Its one game out of sixteen. This is still a team with the best QB in the league; the defense, once it gels, could be quite interesting (the "amoeba defense" with everyone kind of milling around on defense has some real possibilities), and lets remember, the Packers played a team in the league's most intimdating stadium, coming off a SB win and celebration, and with a new wrinkle (Harvin) to add to a formidable offense. Most interestingly, the refs kept their flags in check for the most part. Which was unexpected, but very welcome.

Problems? Sure. Insurmountable? Hardly. Take a deep breath, gain some perspective, and lets see what happens agsinst the Jets.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #602 on: September 05, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
This team will win it's share of games (maybe even get into the playoffs) but the bottom line is the players are just not tough enough to play with Seattle - like a Twinkie, spongy on the outside and soft and gooey in the middle - and our middle on defense is a sieve

Ooooh that is so spot on right there. I'm going to go one further. The coaches didn't put them in great situations either a lot of the time. Morgan Burnett covering Percy Harvin man to man more than one time is a joke and a good DC, schemes so that can't happen. Running a 2-4-5 defense for the 3rd or 4th year in a row when it gets completely demolished in the running game is the definition of insanity.

This team goes nowhere until they either force Capers to change. Change the DC but that ain't happening unless you change the HC. He's never been one to fire his coaches.

Not directing this at you personally Golf, rather using your comment to build one of my own.....
From what I saw.....trying to figure out where and in what specific capacity Harvin was going to line up and/or see the ball will require some film work on this years version of the Seahawks. He didn't play squat last year - so its not like there was a mass of evidence how he was going to be used in SEA's O - so this "putting Burnett on Harvin" equation is a bit of a misnomer (? - not sure thats the correct word) as it appeared to me - on the play I can recall anyway - that we were in zone coverage - at least Burnett's positioning and placement seemed to indicate that. We want to get out of zone to so what? Shadow Harvin all over the field? Where and with whom and what body of evidence was there to create such a defensive scheme?

Unfortunately, it appears Harvins gonna be a problem. Till he gets hurt at least. The methods used to get him open - or get the ball to him - were creative and varied. Specifically designed to thwart a set defense.

Both times that I remember it was 3rd and long, one time 10 to go. Seattle had 3 or 4 WR's and Harvin was in the slot. If they had 3 WR's Hayward should have been on him in the slot. If they had 4 why weren't we in dime with T. Will sliding into the slot and House playing outside.

If Capers can't scheme for those type of contingencies for their best offensive weapon that just reaffirms my point.

Okay - but again - Harvin was lining up and moving all over the field  (AKA to how some think Cobb could be used - although I think Harvin smokes Randall in the speed category.....) - so who is designated to follow or line up with him? Seattle's offense is gonna come out in sets - or move Harvin around so as to create mismatches (and honestly, with his speed Harvin's a bit of a matchup against most CB's - no less Safety's) - I dont know. I dont see "they put Burnett on Harvin" as an accurate comment or assessment of an overall defensive strategy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:21:42 AM by Leader »

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #603 on: September 05, 2014, 08:26:18 AM »

Okay - but again - Harvin was lining up and moving all over the field  (AKA to how some think Cobb could be used - although I think Harvin smokes Randall in the speed category.....) - so who is designated to follow or line up with him? Seattle's offense is gonna come out in sets - or move Harvin around so as to create mismatches (and honestly, with his speed Harvin's a bit of a matchup against most CB's - no less Safety's) - I dont know. I dont see "they put Burnett on Harvin" as an accurate comment or assessment of an overall defensive strategy.

If you are playing man to man defense, which we were, you follow Harvin where ever he goes. Harvin didn't go in motion on the two plays I am referring. He lined up in a slot right and ran his route against Burnett. Hawk picked off Burnett the first time which resulted in a big gain. The second time Harvin ran 10 yards to the first down marker, caught the ball and was immediately tackled by Burnett for a first down. Burnett was playing about 12 yards off and retreating and who could blame him.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #604 on: September 05, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
Night all.....
I hate to see grown men cry
Same here. The ship jumping and defeatist attitude is quite pathetic in here.

really? have you ever played football at a highschool level or beyond? The things we are terrible at... tackling, contain, coverage... they start teaching the fundamentals at the lowest level. And mccarthy stresses fundamentals. his team cant do what he stresses, and he is the head coach.... you think no one has a reason to be perturbed?????
I have played football. You can be perturbed. But calling for coaches heads after one game, declaring the season is over is stupid and makes you look stupid.

Actually, people have been calling for the same coach's head since 2012. 

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #605 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
and lets remember, the Packers played a team in the league's most intimdating stadium
There was a time when Lambeau was one of the most intimidating places to play.  What happened to that?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #606 on: September 05, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »
This Game Day thread has run it's course and is now closed and moved into the 2014 Game Day archive.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.