November 24, 2017, 06:41:19 AM

Author Topic: Forum administration question  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Forum administration question
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
Do the mods get to close an active and non-personal thread because they feel it's unkind to the subject?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
Re: Forum administration question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
Care to explain further?

Oh, and I put this here in the Admin Support Forum since it is not Green Bay Packers Talk.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:51:14 PM by LMGAdmin »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
First, could you tell me how to PM on this site?  I re-read the Forum Guidelines and found that the proper path would have been to PM the mod in question, but I can't figure out how to do it here.

Second, more to the point, it was the poll thread on McCarthy's comments about how they played Sherman in the game.  Was generating a lot of response, none of it was personal, it was certainly Packer-related, and yet it was locked, with a mod note as the last post that it was insulting to McCarthy.  None of that appears to violate the forum rules.

Understand why you moved this.  Just haven't needed to learn how to navigate anything but the active threads until now.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »
First, could you tell me how to PM on this site?  I re-read the Forum Guidelines and found that the proper path would have been to PM the mod in question, but I can't figure out how to do it here.

Second, more to the point, it was the poll thread on McCarthy's comments about how they played Sherman in the game.  Was generating a lot of response, none of it was personal, it was certainly Packer-related, and yet it was locked, with a mod note as the last post that it was insulting to McCarthy.  None of that appears to violate the forum rules.

Understand why you moved this.  Just haven't needed to learn how to navigate anything but the active threads until now.

Sure;

1. The PM feature was turned off more than a year ago. Will have to redo the Rules & Guidelines...thanks for the heads up. Best place to reach a Mod is in this Forum.

2. Mods try and keep the peace and encourage good intelligent conversation here on PC which we have been known for since 1996. The so called 'Poll' thread was just another attempt to bait people into more conversation on his dislike of the Packers HC, GM, Staff which probably includes the water boys.

Being a Mod is a thankless job but one we feel needs to be done. Sure some say we 'over-mod' but we have many many more that come here and appreciate what we do.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
There is also a Report to Moderator feature located in every post if one has an issue with a particular post.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
Thanks for the very measured responses.  Just for grins:

Glad there is no PM (actually would like to see one, but...) since it means I'm not quite as dumb as I thought.   :)

I figured the purpose of the thread was as you stated.  My problem, however, is that I think Packer fans should be able to beat on anyone in the organization if there's a recognizable problem, and if you look at the thread, I think there is (a) a lot of (under control) action and (b) quite a bit of 'I think MM is wrong because...' sentiment.  If the mods choose to close these, say goodbye to all those 'why did (or didn't) we run more', 'they shouldn't (or should have) gone for it on 4th down', 'it was insane (or brilliant) to try ____ in that situation', etc.

I appreciate the Report to Moderator feature, but I'd never use it.  Almost all the time, and especially in the dead periods, I get a kick out of watching the catfights and hair-pulling by the swollen ego folks.  Actually, if you look around at a lot of Mark's posts since the game, you'll see a lot of that.  Also, Report to Moderator is tough to use when one is trying to report a moderator, and the post, along with the thread, is closed.   :)

Offline Smokey

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 03:24:19 AM »
The "Packerchatters" don't have a "CHAT AREA".  Why ?
A "chat area' would make perfect sense . Where is it ?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »
The "Packerchatters" don't have a "CHAT AREA".  Why ?
A "chat area' would make perfect sense . Where is it ?

We had 'Chat Room software' years ago but it was not used much. Most Members preferred doing their 'Chatting' here in our Forums.

Thanks for asking.

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
I would guess that there are many, many, many members and guests who (like myself) have thought many, many, many times about how good a job you do but just don't say so when you 'walk the line' in allowing free expression of opinions yet reign in things when they go too far.  While a 'thankless job', you should rest assured that your valuable work is greatly appreciated and we realize this site would probably degrade and lose it's appeal and value without your efforts.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »
Do the mods get to close an active and non-personal thread because they feel it's unkind to the subject?

They pretty much do as they please. Eventually most threads die, but some end up getting hijacked and caterwauling ensues. Followed by snide remarks and rehashed arguments, and finally the people who've been fed up with it for years and have zero tolerance for it. It's the cycle that's been going on for the last year and a half. I ignore most of it, post what I want, and keep to myself. Nobody seems to like me anyways lol.

If you report someone they usually ignore it, in my experience. The report to moderator feature has done absolutely nothing for me... it's probably just me.

I would guess that there are many, many, many members and guests who (like myself) have thought many, many, many times about how good a job you do but just don't say so when you 'walk the line' in allowing free expression of opinions yet reign in things when they go too far.  While a 'thankless job', you should rest assured that your valuable work is greatly appreciated and we realize this site would probably degrade and lose it's appeal and value without your efforts.

Aside from the bi-weekly article, this board has practically no appeal. Thread count is down, quality of posts are down, and a lot of the same old tired men talking the same tired crap. I wouldn't make them out to be saints, they're just retired guys who need a hobby. Sorry, I just tell the truth, it's kinda my thing  :-\.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »

My goodness....you can tell it's the off season!

Sorry there is not enough 'conversation' for you at this time of the year when NFL teams news is spotty at best...nothing new it's like this every year.

As far as rhe Report to Moderator feature we look at all of them and moderate as we feel needed...sometimes nothing sometimes some kind of action...so yes it's probably you.

Offline raptorman

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 11:48:11 PM »
I have a question?   Is it possible to edit a post?  I don't see anything that allows me to edit something if I made a mistake in post. 
Something new coming soon!

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »
I have a question?   Is it possible to edit a post?  I don't see anything that allows me to edit something if I made a mistake in post.

At the top right of your post, next to the "quote" button, should be a  "modify" button.  That's how you edit.

Offline raptorman

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 02:12:33 PM »

At the top right of your post, next to the "quote" button, should be a  "modify" button.  That's how you edit.
All I have is "Quote".  Is is based on the number of posts?  I know on some boards you are limited until you hit a certain number of posts. It shows up here but not elsewhere on the board.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:14:50 PM by raptorman »
Something new coming soon!

Offline Brit Pack

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »

All I have is "Quote".  Is is based on the number of posts?  I know on some boards you are limited until you hit a certain number of posts. It shows up here but not elsewhere on the board.

The edit function is usually only available for a limited time period after the original post on these types of Board.  Fifteen minutes is the default I think.