November 24, 2017, 06:40:14 AM

Author Topic: Maybe some more guidlelines?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Maybe some more guidlelines?
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
Was reading the last page or so in the Coaches Responsibility thread.  The real problem with 'whine', 'rant', 'concern', 'disruptive' et. al. as they are referred to there (obviously, elsewhere, but a trend there) is that we seem to be discussing inherently subjective terms in an objective matter, and perhaps ('concern') getting very close to political correctness.  Since there do appear to be more folks with negative criticisms than Half Empty  :), it might useful, at least for a while, to have the mods point out what is meant by the above (or other unwanted types).  Then, those of us who are targeted for abusing the forum can better understand the groundrules/guidelines and adapt (stop posting, leave, bang our heads against the wall, whatever).  I would have gone with 'just don't read the other side's posts', or better yet 'just ignore them', but that apparently isn't a solution.  Hope this doesn't come out as a rant or whining, but I am really just trying to see which part of my discussion is unwelcome to the board.

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: Maybe some more guidlelines?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
We don't mind criticism. We're very aware of the shortcomings of our team and many of the players. Sherrod apparently has lost something in his ordeals and is now "just a guy." Sad, very sad to see a 1st round pick evolve like this, but there it is, deal with it. However he was picked at a position of need where he had real talent, and had his leg all but pulverized into dust. This is no one's fault, it's just bad luck. You don't fire people when a meteor hits your house, and you don't talk about firing people when a promising 1st round pick is decimated by unforeseeable massive injury.

It drives us nuts when people incessantly call for mass firings. We're slack-jawed when people claim they could call a better game.

And we don't like it when people scream for three years that we need a 4-3, then we play a 4-3 and they claim nothing has changed. It takes time for these things to evolve, but there are certain people here who seem to think they're owed a superbowl and the fact we don't have another means someone should go to jail for fraud.

The Packers and the Patriots are having a run of success that's all but unprecedented in the history of the NFL - 20 years with almost no losing seasons. Enjoy what you're given instead of screaming that anything less than the 60s Packers or 70 Steelers is criminal.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
Re: Maybe some more guidlelines?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
We don't mind criticism. We're very aware of the shortcomings of our team and many of the players. Sherrod apparently has lost something in his ordeals and is now "just a guy." Sad, very sad to see a 1st round pick evolve like this, but there it is, deal with it. However he was picked at a position of need where he had real talent, and had his leg all but pulverized into dust. This is no one's fault, it's just bad luck. You don't fire people when a meteor hits your house, and you don't talk about firing people when a promising 1st round pick is decimated by unforeseeable massive injury.  No argument on Sherrod, so far.  With Bulaga playing again, may not even have a chance to make a reasonable evaluation this year.  However, what about pointing out many other TT questionable picks/re-sisgnings/other personnel decisions?  Is that OK?

It drives us nuts when people incessantly call for mass firings. This may be the part that really gets to me.  It drives you nuts - please allow people to do so, or, as I alluded, make that sort of thing off limits.  Maybe a definition of 'incessantly' would help  We're slack-jawed when people claim they could call a better game.  A two part-er - one, "we're" slack-jawed, and two, how can anyone know how someone else would do calling the plays?  Just because I chose a different life path doesn't mean I couldn't handle some else's, where it's only decisions.

And we don't like it when people scream for three years that we need a 4-3, then we play a 4-3 and they claim nothing has changed How about people who don't care about the scheme, just claim that nothing concerning production has changed on defense?. It takes time for these things to evolve, but there are certain people here who seem to think they're owed a superbowl Given the top QB in a QB-driven league, I figure we'd better get one soon, or it'll be another Favre-era fiasco.and the fact we don't have another means someone should go to jail for fraud Nope, we just incessantly call for them to be fired  :).

The Packers and the Patriots are having a run of success that's all but unprecedented in the history of the NFL - 20 years with almost no losing seasons. Enjoy what you're given instead of screaming that anything less than the 60s Packers or 70 Steelers is criminal.  Everything with me is expectation.  I really didn't mind the 70s and 80s because the teams were bad, so any win made for a good season, especially if we could save it to knock out a contender, as the Pack has done in the past couple of decades.  Since the early 90s, they've been oh, so close, for so long, and two SBs to show for it, the same number the Steelers and Giants have had recently, and less than the Patriots.  When you have the capability and don't fulfill your destiny, I'm upset.

Overall, have no problem with you having your own feelings.  I do have a problem with direct or implied sanctions against those who don't.