November 23, 2017, 12:38:00 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread  (Read 28766 times)

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bears Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »
Wish he would explain why it gives advantage to the defense. Maybe it's not a good fit for an up-tempo offensive game plan??

+1

Intrigued by comment as well.

Agreed, good question.

I tend to think it isn't an issue of not fitting with an up-tempo offense as the fastest offense in the league (Philly) is based entirely around motion

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 12:15:37 PM »
Sometimes I'm so slow, its amazing. The Packers obviously play the Bears Sunday, but I just realized they play the Vikings Thursday. IMO, that makes this game much more relevant. The Bears are playing at a high level on offense, while the Packers are still feeling their way. So, the Packers have a chance in the span of four days to strongly shape their future. Two wins, and they enter a long break with momentum. A split, and they stumble into their break, looking for answers. Two losses, and they will have dug themselves a deep hole. Perhaps a chasm; or an abyss; or a canyon. Anyway, it wouldn't be good.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »
The Bears seem pretty banged up on both sides of the ball, and what's more, they have a short week, as they're coming off a Monday night road win in New York.  I'm glad they're playing in Chicago early, rather than late, in the year, too.  I think all of that augurs well for the Packers.  Plus, they should be a bit more motivated given the performance last week against Detroit and the significance of this game.  In short, I fully expect them to play better on Sunday.

I still don't feel confident enough to predict a win, though.  I'm still worried about the offense.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 12:24:16 PM »
Injury report for Sunday's game:

J. Boykin - Questionable
B. Jones - Questionable
B. Bulaga - Probable
D. House - Probable
C. Matthews - Probable
N. Perry - Probable

Apparently Boykin injured his groin in Thursday's practice.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »

J. Boykin - Questionable
B. Jones - Questionable
B. Bulaga - Probable
D. House - Probable
C. Matthews - Probable
N. Perry - Probable

Well I guess that means it's Janis time

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »

J. Boykin - Questionable
B. Jones - Questionable
B. Bulaga - Probable
D. House - Probable
C. Matthews - Probable
N. Perry - Probable

May well be. And with Chicago's safety situation (read: not good) he has a chance to make an impact.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 01:46:53 PM »
Bears injury report:

DE Jared Allen - Questionable
WR Brandon Marshall - Questionable
S Chris Conte - Questionable
DT - Jeremiah Ratliff - Out
DB - Sherrick McManis - Out
LB - Shea McClellin - Out
G - Matt Slauson - Out
C - Roberto Garza - Out

Allen (illness) and Marshall didn't practice all week. I suspect we'll still see them out there Sunday.

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
Glad their two OLineman aren't playing this weekend, that should help the cause.

I agree Lodestar, there is no doubt Marshall plays.  I obviously have to root against him as he's a Bear, but he is definitely a gamer.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
Glad their two OLineman aren't playing this weekend, that should help the cause.

Brian DeLaPuente has been pretty good backup at center for Bears...  I do not think there is any drop off there (his name means "of the bridge" in Spanish... interesting last name).

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
Good news...   my mother sent me the Packers yearbook for my birthday.  She sent it in late August and it finally arrived today....  I sense a big turnaround for the Packers now   ;D ;) thumbsup)

They do not sell the Packers Yearbook here in Argentina (yet).

Vamos Packers!

Offline bbayley

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »

Brian DeLaPuente has been pretty good backup at center for Bears...  I do not think there is any drop off there (his name means "of the bridge" in Spanish... interesting last name).

Hadn't really seen how the backups were doing, thanks for the insight.  Well, at least that has to hurt their depth on the OLine even if there isn't a drop off, so maybe someone else goes down during the game or such, we'll see.

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 03:48:14 AM »
The backup center and left guard have started the last 2 weeks for the Bears. The center came from New Orleans... a starter for 3 years. The left guard is a rookie, I do believe. They both seem to be holding up, the OL as a whole just hasn't been on the same page with the run game.

Regardless of who is playing on the line, I think the key to limiting the Bears offense is containing Matt Forte out of the backfield and Martellus Bennett in the middle of the field. Even with a strong pass rush, those two areas could be exploited. I'm not convinced that Brandon Marshall can be a threat outside of the red zone right now due to his ankle. Alshon Jeffery will get his catches and yards, but I don't see the secondary just laying down and letting him take over the game.

If the Packers can limit the dump off options and the middle of the field, I see Cutler completing at least a couple passes to guys not wearing blue jerseys. Should be a hell of a game. Gotta love some hard fought NFC North battles. As much as I dislike the Bears, there's not another team in the league that I'd rather have a twice a year rivalry with. Absolutely love Packers-Bears games.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »

Janis was my "sleeper" impact player. His combination of size and speed could make him formidable in the right situation. Hopefully on Sunday, he'll find a situation to his and Rogers' liking.

Not to get too conspiracy minded, but it seems that the "injuries" to Packers players who aren't playing well are rather convenient. First Brad Jones, now Boykin. Any grassy knolls near the Packers practice facility, by any chance?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:12:25 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline get louder at lambeau

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »

Janis was my "sleeper" impact player. His combination of size and speed could make him formidable in the right situation. Hopefully on Sunday, he'll find a situation to his and Rogers' liking.

Not to get too conspiracy minded, but it seems that the "injuries" to Packers players who aren't playing well are rather convenient. First Brad Jones, now Boykin. Any grassy knolls near the Packers practice facility, by any chance?

I like it. Maybe AJ as the second shooter? Guion as the staged luner landing?
Why can't Ted Thompson be the MVP of the NFL?

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »
Our defense will be our defense.  I want a freaking shoot out.