September 24, 2017, 07:18:01 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread  (Read 28072 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:37:19 AM »
Thursday night mayhem. Then, a few extra days off for a team still struggling to find an identity, especially on defense. But if they win this one... thumbsup)
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 02:41:06 AM »
Hoping that Bridgewater has a bit of a gimpy ankle so he's more apt to hang in the pocket. He did take off for a running TD against ATL's defense. I don't think much of the Vikings offense yet, not when they ran up the score on a pretty bad Falcon defense. But, we shall see.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:40:57 AM »
This should be a Packer blowout, but we need to play some defense in order for that to happen and Rodgers has to have another performance like Sunday. The Vikings secondary is better than the Bears and so is their pass rush. Anthony Barr seems like the real deal as a rookie. Their offensive line seems to be pretty good too.

Seriously though, is this the game Capers finally comes out in base personnel on defense to stop the run first? If we don't, they will run it as effective if not more effective than the Bears did. Count on it.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:09:08 AM »
Seriously though, is this the game Capers finally comes out in base personnel on defense to stop the run first? If we don't, they will run it as effective if not more effective than the Bears did. Count on it.

Looked to me that Bridgewater took an unintentional "leg whip" heel to his ankle. Hurt like hell I'm sure but I dont think he'll have suffered any significant / long lasting injury.

Question - base personnel vs what? Nickel package? 

Offline Greg C

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »
I watched much of the Vikings game against the Falcons, and I have to admit that I was impressed with the Vikings. They look like a solid team. I was especially impressed with Teddy Bridgewater. He did not look like a rookie. He was in total command of the offense. He was accurate with most of his throws, and he is also very mobile. If he plays on Thursday, at least the Packers will have some film on him and may be able to find some tendencies to exploit.

I think losing Adrian Peterson will be a blessing in disguise for the Vikings. Having a star veteran running back can impair a young team's growth. Now the QB is free to spread the ball around, and they do have a couple other guys who can run the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see the middle of the Packer defense blown open again in this game.

The Vikings also have some good young players on defense, and it looks like their coach is the real deal. This should be a close game if they have Bridgewater available. If it's Ponder, he's likely to make a couple of turnovers and the Packers could win easily.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:53:11 AM »
This should be a Packer blowout, but we need to play some defense in order for that to happen and Rodgers has to have another performance like Sunday. The Vikings secondary is better than the Bears and so is their pass rush. Anthony Barr seems like the real deal as a rookie. Their offensive line seems to be pretty good too.

Agree that stopping the run and making them one-dimensional is key. The defense played well in the second half of the Jets game and did very well against the Lions. Of course, what the Packers did against the Bears was also interesting. They forced them to abandon the running game because the Packers offense was so effective, the felt they needed to respond ASAP, rather than play "grind it out" football, and then have to settle for a FG.

Disagree that this should be a blowout for the Packers. The Vikings always play their best games against te Packers, either home or away. Ponder had his best games against the Packers, and I'd expect Bridgewater to cause the Packers problems simply because he is an unknown. Also, notice that Cutler(!) ran for a first down, and nearly a TD after fumbling the snap near the Packers goal line Sunday. Beware unknown QBs against the Packers: Kaepernick and Webb in the playoffs two seasons ago (if Webb had run more option reads...). Josh Freeman a few years ago, even Geno Smith of the Jets. Expect the unexpected, and get ready for another roller coaster game of emotional highs and lows.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »

Looked to me that Bridgewater took an unintentional "leg whip" heel to his ankle. Hurt like hell I'm sure but I dont think he'll have suffered any significant / long lasting injury.

Question - base personnel vs what? Nickel package?

Yes, we started in nickel and played nickel most of the first half. Often Peppers or Neal had their hand in dirt, but we had 5 DB's in and the Bears had 2 TE's and 2 WR's and Forte and ran it down our throats.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:36 AM »
No Peterson, a gimpy rookie at QB, no Rudolph and maybe no Greenway.  You have to like our chances.  I think a short week gives us a slight advantage as well. 

I'm going to say Packers 27, Vikings 17.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10:59 AM »
I watched much of the Vikings game against the Falcons, and I have to admit that I was impressed with the Vikings. They look like a solid team. I was especially impressed with Teddy Bridgewater. He did not look like a rookie. He was in total command of the offense. He was accurate with most of his throws, and he is also very mobile. If he plays on Thursday, at least the Packers will have some film on him and may be able to find some tendencies to exploit.

The Vikings also have some good young players on defense, and it looks like their coach is the real deal. This should be a close game if they have Bridgewater available. If it's Ponder, he's likely to make a couple of turnovers and the Packers could win easily.

+1

I watched the game as well..   they have some good young players on defense (Barr, Rhodes, Smith) and Bridgewater impressed for rookie QB.  They also had success running ball vs Falcons, so I would expect the same vs Packers WORST rush defense in the league.  Vikings return game even looked good on kick and punt returns.

If Bridgewater plays like he did vs Falcons, Vikings can win this game... it will be up to Rodgers to win it for the Packers.

Packers 34
Vikings  31

If Adrian Peterson played in this game, I would pick Vikings to win.. he probably would have couple 200 yard games like he did 2 seasons ago against this Packers rush defense (I know Packers split those games 2 years ago.. but Vikings also had Ponder in those games).

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:07:10 PM »
No Peterson, a gimpy rookie at QB, no Rudolph and maybe no Greenway.  You have to like our chances.  I think a short week gives us a slight advantage as well. 

I'm going to say Packers 27, Vikings 17.

You could have fancied our chances against the Lions, before the game, with their secondary so banged up.....didn't happen. Whoever they field at RB, we have to do better at shutting them down than we managed against the Bears.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »
You could have fancied our chances against the Lions, before the game, with their secondary so banged up.....didn't happen. Whoever they field at RB, we have to do better at shutting them down than we managed against the Bears.

The problem is that the Bears running game was terrible until they played the Packers. The defense simply needs to find a way to stop the run. Apparently, the unexpected loss of Raji, the injury to Jolly and not re-signing Pickett are having major repurcussions on the DL. The solution? Try to find someone who s available who can plug the middle- a Grady Jackson or Howard Green body type. Someone who will anchor, take up a couple of blockers and still not be moved. Allowing the LBers to clean up and get the tackle. 

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
People are vastly overrating the Vikings here. Big deal, Bridgewater cut up a horrible Falcons D at home.  He is going on the road on short notice with a bum ankle.  The Packers win this one easily 38-17.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »
People are vastly overrating the Vikings here. Big deal, Bridgewater cut up a horrible Falcons D at home.  He is going on the road on short notice with a bum ankle.  The Packers win this one easily 38-17.

The location is a fact.  The ankle is a maybe.  The horrible D that he cut up is a repeat.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
The horrible D that he cut up is a repeat.

+1

Falcons did lose 3 OL during the game and finished with TE at tackle and Falcons still put up 28 points, so Packers offense should be able to score.

Problem is the defense, if Bridgewater plays with poise and does not turn the ball over Vikings will keep this game close IMO with running the ball.  Only exception could be if Vikings have to settle for FGs early and Packers get into the end zone... do not think Vikings can play catch up very well at this point.  But I expect Vikings to be able to run the ball with ease... I have no expectations of Packers defense being able to stop the run right now after seeing what Bears did.

Offline PhoenixPackerBacker

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »