September 21, 2017, 04:25:34 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread  (Read 27919 times)

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 12:18:24 AM »
Looking forward to another great rivalry game. Pretty fun from a fan's standpoint to get the Bears and Vikings in 5 days.

I'm sure Minnesota will come out and try to test the Packers run 'D'. I'm sure every team will do that until they show the ability to stop it. I'm hoping to see more base defense ran. Kind of getting sick and tired of watching them get run all over with 2 down lineman time after time. When ever questioned about it, it seems McCarthy always comes back with the response, "It's basically our 'Okie' personnel out there".

Before the college football season ended last year, I felt Teddy Bridgewater was the best QB available in the draft. Wasn't to thrilled to see him get selected by the Vikings, but thought it was  a very good pick on their part. The thing I liked most about him was that he seemed to be a pocket QB who could also run VERY well. He worries me.... Looks like they attacked the middle of the field really well against the Falcons. Hawk, Lattimore, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, and Hyde are going to need to play some good football.

I'm hoping Matthews can run well enough to contain Bridgewater. He didn't seem to be running very well on his INT return against Chicago on Sunday. It seems Clinton-Dix has the tackling ability, burst, and instincts to contain Bridgewater. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the game plan.

Last thing I guess.... maybe Bridgewater won't even be able to escape the pocket effectively with his bad ankle. Should be fun to watch.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »
This game will be a cakewalk, no doubt about it.

We clearly signed Guion strictly for his knowledge of the Vikings inner-workings, so I have no doubt we blow out the Vikings this week  ;)

If they would have stopped there, fine.  But then they went ahead and played him.   :)

Online mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »

Exactly! The defense gave up 500 yards and everyone seems to just do a thousand yard stare past it because the offense had a near perfect day. Same old song and dance. The offense isn't going to bail you out every weekend, especially come December and January.

Everyone?  That's just bad math.

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 09:47:54 AM »
Exactly! The defense gave up 500 yards and everyone seems to just do a thousand yard stare past it because the offense had a near perfect day. Same old song and dance. The offense isn't going to bail you out every weekend, especially come December and January.

They also gave up only 17 points and forced two, possibly three turnovers. I guess we'll just overlook that as well. The 500 yards are not to be ignored, but neither is the overall effort they put together. Aside from the run defense they played very well.

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »
Looks like the weather report continues to get worse and worse...Accuweather is now posting heavy rain advisories for Thursday night - Other places are forecasting thunderstorms.  Considering I'm going to this game, and the way MN ran the ball last week, I am less than pleased....

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
Looks like the weather report continues to get worse and worse...Accuweather is now posting heavy rain advisories for Thursday night - Other places are forecasting thunderstorms.  Considering I'm going to this game, and the way MN ran the ball last week, I am less than pleased....

Fret not. MN's defensive front is less than stout and last I checked we've got a guy name Lacy - who I'll put up against Asiata any day.
The elements will affect both clubs - but theres more talent on GB than MN. So fret not. Unless your worried about getting wet - in which case, worry away!  :)

Offline raptorman

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »

We clearly signed Guion strictly for his knowledge of the Vikings inner-workings, so I have no doubt we blow out the Vikings this week  ;)
I hope they pick his mind.  Considering he can tell them all about last years defense.  That would work well for the Packers.  :)

My post was 100% in fun (hoping you picked up on that).  Feeling like GB is in good shape but I definitely don't plan on winning due to Guion's knowledge of a former system
Oh I did. My was in the same tone.   There is a reason why the Vikings let Guion walk.  The Packers are figuring it out.
Something new coming soon!

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »

Fret not. MN's defensive front is less than stout and last I checked we've got a guy name Lacy - who I'll put up against Asiata any day.
The elements will affect both clubs - but theres more talent on GB than MN. So fret not. Unless your worried about getting wet - in which case, worry away!  :)

I like the voice of reason...I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

If anyone has any insight into the new seating at Lambeau/if they sections are "covered" by the new overhang, I've got a thread in the OTS section...Would really appreciate if anyone knows anything...Thanks!

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
Oh I did. My was in the same tone.   There is a reason why the Vikings let Guion walk.  The Packers are figuring it out.

I believe Zimmerman said he lacks "mental acuity". Ugh.

So Raptorman, how do you think the Vikings will do on Thursday? Did I miss your prediction somewhere?

It looks to me like you have a decent defense and with Patterson on offense, I expect him to try and catch us with misdirection style plays to get him in the open field.

Bridgewater may be a little gimpy and he doesn't really "scare" me. Yet. If it rains pretty heavily, it could be a real grind.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline raptorman

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »

I believe Zimmerman said he lacks "mental acuity". Ugh.

So Raptorman, how do you think the Vikings will do on Thursday? Did I miss your prediction somewhere?

It looks to me like you have a decent defense and with Patterson on offense, I expect him to try and catch us with misdirection style plays to get him in the open field.

Bridgewater may be a little gimpy and he doesn't really "scare" me. Yet. If it rains pretty heavily, it could be a real grind.
Didn't miss a prediction because I have not made one. I don't  think, at least not here.  I think it will be a close game. Much closer than most Packer fans would care to admit.   And to win, over 30 points will have to be scored.  Bottom line.  I think the Vikings defense struggles with the Packers no huddle.  And the Packers defense continues to struggle with the run.

Packers 33
Vikings 31

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
Aside from the run defense they played very well.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?" 
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline fondypackfan

• Rookie
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
If the weather really is going to be that bad; the Pack is much more likely to succeed throwing the ball than the Vikings.  Rodgers has shown he can do it before and has the arm strength and accuracy.  Bridgewater or Ponder or much more questionable in that area.  Crappy conditions tend to favor WR's over CB's because WR's no where they are going whereas CB's need to adjust and change direction quickly.

As for the running game; even though Lacy has been subpar so far I can't just bring myself to think a guy named Asiata could perform better in a rainstorm than a bruising type back like Eddie. 

I believe we played Minnesota at home a number of years ago in a driving rain storm; I think that was a Monday night game

Offline raptorman

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
If the weather really is going to be that bad; the Pack is much more likely to succeed throwing the ball than the Vikings.  Rodgers has shown he can do it before and has the arm strength and accuracy.  Bridgewater or Ponder or much more questionable in that area.  Crappy conditions tend to favor WR's over CB's because WR's no where they are going whereas CB's need to adjust and change direction quickly.

As for the running game; even though Lacy has been subpar so far I can't just bring myself to think a guy named Asiata could perform better in a rainstorm than a bruising type back like Eddie. 

I believe we played Minnesota at home a number of years ago in a driving rain storm; I think that was a Monday night game
And what makes you think Asiata isn't a bruising type back?  Guess that two pounds makes a huge difference.
 :)
Asiata  5'11"  229 pounds
Lacys.  5'11" 231 pounds

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »
People are vastly overrating the Vikings here. Big deal, Bridgewater cut up a horrible Falcons D at home.  He is going on the road on short notice with a bum ankle.  The Packers win this one easily 38-17.

The Packers defense has been playing well only in spurts so far this season. Plus, they ran the ball very well against the Falcons. So, expect to see a lot of ground game, trying to control the clock, and keeping the Packers offense on the sidelines, where they are less likely to score. Patterson is a threat on end arounds, similar to Jeffrey of the Bears.

Surprising how a good offensive performance makes so many do their "happy dance" and start predicting blowouts again. Didn't the first three games teach us anything? Like, other teams also play well, and we have to take them seriously. So, no, expect another close game, similar to the Jets. And hopefully with a aimilarly happy outcome.
Amazes me how people make out the VIkes to suddenly be a great team based on one performance at home.

My prediction has nothing to do with the Packers offense being nearly perfect against the Bears.  It has to do with the fact that the Vikings have a rookie QB on a bum ankle going into a hostile environment for the very first time in his pro career where the weather conditions are going to be less than ideal.  Unlike against the bears, the Packers will be able to load the box against the Vikes.

So, no, I will not expect a close one just because you say so.  I stand by my prediction because I expect the Packers to win going away in the second half just as they did the Bears. The kicker is they won't have to be perfect to do it this time because the Vikes have nowhere near the weapons the Bears have and they have a rookie QB to boot.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »

If they would have stopped there, fine.  But then they went ahead and played him.   :)

I needed that laugh with work today!