November 23, 2017, 12:18:51 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Dolphins Game Day Thread  (Read 21776 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Dolphins Game Day Thread
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
Should be a "W", but will the heat and humidity get to the Packers defense in the second half? And will Philbin know AR's tendencies well enough to plan effectively against him? Stay tuned!
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Dolphins Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:41:25 AM »
Should be a "W", but will the heat and humidity get to the Packers defense in the second half? And will Philbin know AR's tendencies well enough to plan effectively against him? Stay tuned!

The heat and Miami coming off of a bye week are the biggest factors in the Dolphins favor. Frankly the Packers are better at QB, RB, WR, OL, LB, DB & Special teams... Miami has a better defensive line and at best if healthy get an even call at TE

Facing Ryan Tannehill, the Packersí should be able to continue to keep their impressive run of rattling opposing quarterbacks going. Since Wilson embarrassed them in Seattle, they have held Lion QB Matthew Stafford to a 61.6 QB rating, Jet QB Geno Smith to 64.1, Bears QB Jay Cutler to 82.5 and Viking QB Christian Ponder to a 45.8 passing rating. Green Bay's defense tied for the third-most sacks in the NFL in the last two weeks with seven (7), and has had six (6) interceptions in the last three games.

Like Ponder, Tannehill is inconsistent and will put balls up for grabs if he is rattled.

Miami has an impressive pass rush, and they will need it to contain Aaron Rodgers, who has started to really heat up after a slow start to the 2014 season. Last week Lacy started to roll, and the rotation with Starks seemed to wake up a previously stagnant running game.

The bye and the heat might keep the Dolphins in this game, but based upon matchups I think the Packers might put up some pretty big numbers down in Miami while notching a victory and moving to 4 - 2 on the seaon...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:55:01 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline fondypackfan

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:35:05 AM »
This game will be a test for the Run D.  The Miami offense is underrated; the Pack will need to keep that running game in check.  The Packers offense has been rolling the last 2 games and the defense for Miami is basically in the middle of the league in most rankings.  I expect the Packers to put up enough points to win.  Miami is average 142 yards a game on the ground; the game will likely come down to GB's ability to get off the field and get the ball in AR's hands.

Sunday is calling for a High of 86 with scattered T Storms.

I am calling 27-17 Packers

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »
Agree with earlier comments regarding heat...  hopefully Packers do not whither.

Other questions:
- Is Packers rush defense improved
- Is Eddie Lacy back to 2013 midseason form
- Any other Packers WR/TEs pick up some of the receiving slack

I think Packers win close one...  28-24

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:40:33 AM »
After rewatching the game last night, I'm actually a bit concerned about the offense...Lots of 3-and-outs.  What's more concerning to me is the ineffectiveness of several of those plays in those drives...Lots of runs for no gain.  Granted, Lacy ended up with a great day, but it's still a little worrisome to see how stagnant we were at times...Hopefully it's more kudos to an improved Vikings D.

While I'm not necessarily really concerned this weekend, I would love to see some major improvement before we hit another very difficult stretch.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
Agree with earlier comments regarding heat...  hopefully Packers do not whither.

Other questions:
- Is Packers rush defense improved
- Is Eddie Lacy back to 2013 midseason form
- Any other Packers WR/TEs pick up some of the receiving slack

I think Packers win close one...  28-24

Pickle Juice!
Pickle Juice!
Pickle Juice!

Now I'm looking for some dude dressed in black/white stripes....................... ::)

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
One match up I really like for this game is Mike Daniels against Darryn Colledge. The Miami guards are clearly the weak spot of their OL (not counting Pouncey's potential move to RG). Probably our best defensive lineman against their weakest offensive lineman at LG.

A good game plan is going to be vital in this game. They must stop the run and keep the Dolphins from controlling the time of possession. If Miami is able to reel off 75 plays in this game, it could be a long 4th quarter for the defense. In my opinion, the Green Bay offense needs to play a part in limiting Miami's offensive snaps. I believe there is a time and a place for a no-huddle offense and this is the type of game that I don't believe it should be used extensively unless the offense needs a spark.

I see the Miami defense potentially being able to give Rodgers and company some fits. Their front four gets some very good pressure. The two outside rushers get a very good burst and seem to not go past the QB and run themselves out of the play. The 2 interior rushers get a good push up the middle, basically trapping the QB in the pocket when combined with the two outside rushers. They look very good at doing this when they're at full strength health wise. When the ball gets thrown underneath, there is always a swarm of Miami defenders closing on the ball. They tackle well and don't allow much YAC.

If Miami has good success running the ball, I see a close but winnable game. If Miami makes any early mistakes and falls behind by 2 scores, it could be a very long day for the Dolphins.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
One match up I really like for this game is Mike Daniels against Darryn Colledge. The Miami guards are clearly the weak spot of their OL (not counting Pouncey's potential move to RG). Probably our best defensive lineman against their weakest offensive lineman at LG.

A good game plan is going to be vital in this game. They must stop the run and keep the Dolphins from controlling the time of possession. If Miami is able to reel off 75 plays in this game, it could be a long 4th quarter for the defense. In my opinion, the Green Bay offense needs to play a part in limiting Miami's offensive snaps. I believe there is a time and a place for a no-huddle offense and this is the type of game that I don't believe it should be used extensively unless the offense needs a spark.

I see the Miami defense potentially being able to give Rodgers and company some fits. Their front four gets some very good pressure. The two outside rushers get a very good burst and seem to not go past the QB and run themselves out of the play. The 2 interior rushers get a good push up the middle, basically trapping the QB in the pocket when combined with the two outside rushers. They look very good at doing this when they're at full strength health wise. When the ball gets thrown underneath, there is always a swarm of Miami defenders closing on the ball. They tackle well and don't allow much YAC.

If Miami has good success running the ball, I see a close but winnable game. If Miami makes any early mistakes and falls behind by 2 scores, it could be a very long day for the Dolphins.

I agree, Miami's offense is built to run and throw short passes, if they have to play from behind they are likely in trouble. Frankly, despite a strong defensive line, I cannot see this Miami defense holding the Packers to less than 30 - and I just don't see the capablity in the Dolphins offense of winning a shoot-out.

But the Dolphins are playing at home and have had a full two weeks to get ready for this game... and after all that is why they decide the outcome on the field and not by who looks better on paper.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »
If Rodgers can get the offense moving right away with the hurry up, by the 4th quarter, the Dolphins defense should be exhausted. I think the keys are:

- Convert in the Red Zone
- Make Tannehill have to throw
- Let Daniels, Peppers and Matthews find the openings in the OL and get pressure.
- undercut routes for easy picks
- Chip away at Cameron Wake. Keep him away and frustrated.

Prediction:

Packers:  31
Dolphins: 24

I think the defense gets a score and I expect Quarless, Cobb and Adams to do the damage this week. Starks can hit the edges and make the Dolphins chase him and Lacy can run straight at them and make them hurt.

I agree about the Pickle juice! Drink it and the day before the game, eat bananas and drink a quart of water every hour. Hydration, hydration, hydration.  thumbsup)
ďItís not whether you get knocked down, itís whether you get up.Ē -V. Lombardi

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
packers 31

dolphins 24

maxman44

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
I predict Packers 34, Miami 31

Heat gives us trouble

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »
Isn't Thursday the day we get a much clearer picture regarding injuries and who will and who won't?
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
Isn't Thursday the day we get a much clearer picture regarding injuries and who will and who won't?

Here is the latest out of Miami

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Dolphins-Packers-Thursday-Injury-Updates/66b153f0-7391-4f63-9627-63a7c1860c09

If you don't feel like clicking link:

The only change on the Packersí injury report tackle David Bakhtiari, who was limited with a back injury after not being on the injury report Wednesday.
WR Jarrett Boykin (groin) and DE Datone Jones (ankle) did not participate in practice for a second consecutive day, while LB Sam Barrington (hamstring) and DT Josh Boyd (knee) joined Bakhtiari as being limited.
ďItís not whether you get knocked down, itís whether you get up.Ē -V. Lombardi

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:10:50 PM »
....A good game plan is going to be vital in this game. They must stop the run and keep the Dolphins from controlling the time of possession. If Miami is able to reel off 75 plays in this game, it could be a long 4th quarter for the defense. In my opinion, the Green Bay offense needs to play a part in limiting Miami's offensive snaps. I believe there is a time and a place for a no-huddle offense and this is the type of game that I don't believe it should be used extensively unless the offense needs a spark....

I think comparing offensive vs defensive snaps might be more meaningful than TOP.  Thus far Packers have been getting killed on both. 

If we run equal plays, I don't care if they exceed our TOP because we run our 60 plays fast and no-huddle, with their defenders getting tired and not being able to be replaced, while they run their equal number of 60 plays slow, so our guys get twice as much rest between snaps, and more rest because we can sub in and out. 

The problem thus far, I think, has simply been that our offense has struggled and other than Chicago has been punting a ton, routinely with 3-and-outs.  If the offense is struggling and 3-and-outing because of no-huddle, then limit the no-huddle on that account.

But if the no-huddle is converting first downs and TD's, we'll do fine for relative number of plays. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 05:15:10 AM »

I agree, Miami's offense is built to run and throw short passes, if they have to play from behind they are likely in trouble. Frankly, despite a strong defensive line, I cannot see this Miami defense holding the Packers to less than 30 - and I just don't see the capablity in the Dolphins offense of winning a shoot-out.

But the Dolphins are playing at home and have had a full two weeks to get ready for this game... and after all that is why they decide the outcome on the field and not by who looks better on paper.

The game we played in Miami in the 09-10 regular season was a complete debacle and a game management gaff to say the least. Hope they have cured whatever ailed them in that heat.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."