September 23, 2017, 07:52:30 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Dolphins Game Day Thread  (Read 19597 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Dolphins Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »
Dolphins will be wearing White at home, so the Packers will have to don the dark green home jersey's for a road game in the heat.

Hope they have a plan for keeping cool.  :-\

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

The game we played in Miami in the 09-10 regular season was a complete debacle and a game management gaff to say the least. Hope they have cured whatever ailed them in that heat.

We played Miami in Green Bay in 2010.  We didn't play Miami in 2009.

Results from 4 years ago are pointless as neither team is playing with the same players.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
Can't speak for Shine, but it appears ("game management" that he referring to a coaching, as opposed to player, breakdown.  IF that's the case, most/all of the important coaches from then are still with the team.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »
Can't speak for Shine, but it appears ("game management" that he referring to a coaching, as opposed to player, breakdown.  IF that's the case, most/all of the important coaches from then are still with the team.

I think the point was partially the heat in Miami, but the game was in Green Bay. 

Like I said, a game 4 years ago is irrelevant.  If they are relevant, then shouldn't the super bowl win keep the criticism of the coaches to a minimum?
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
Back to my attempt to quantify results.  In this case, how many playoff disappointments are bought with a SB win?  Not rhetorical or baiting, just wondering when the management structure can be held accountable for the intervening years.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 12:40:59 PM »
Back to my attempt to quantify results.  In this case, how many playoff disappointments are bought with a SB win?  Not rhetorical or baiting, just wondering when the management structure can be held accountable for the intervening years.

My personal opinion: You can have doubts/criticism of them, you just have to have some cognitive integrity.   Shinesman wants to go back 4 years with mistaken facts hoping they have fixed the game management to bring up a negative, but you guys take offense when someone brings up a super bowl win in the intervening time.  You want to support going back 4 years for negatives, but the positives from back then don't count.  Personally, I don't think any of it is relevant , positive or negative.  4 years in the NFL is ancient history.  You have to be consistent though. Don't reach back 4 years to criticize, and discount the good from 4 years ago.  It really insults the intelligence of the other posters when you do that.

Safer to stick with the game at hand, and the season at hand.  Miami will be warm and it is a concern.  The team isn't that far away from camp though, and so it should be a manageable risk.  Miami has a good running game, and I am more worried about that aspect than the heat itself.  Being on the road hurts as well, but this being our 4th away game should mean that the team is starting to get a road routine going.

This will be a potentially tough game, but the defense is in the top 10 for scoring defense and has shown a slow trend toward improvement.  Our offense got off to a slow start, but was up against 3 of the top 6 defenses in the first 3 weeks, and appears to be up and rolling now.  I think we win this game.  Probably have some rough spots, but probably get the win.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
I don't know why- call it a gut feeling- but this game is making me increasingly nervous. The Packers in recent years have had a habit of playing a really bad game when least expected. Maybe that was the Seattle game, or the Lions. But there is a growing sense of unease as game time nears. I absolutely hope I'm wrong. Is "pending doom" too strong a term?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/green-bay-packers-to-don-dark-jerseys-on-hot-day-b99368532z1-278875291.html

This article made me feel a lot better!  sarcasm
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:04:37 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
I don't know why- call it a gut feeling- but this game is making me increasingly nervous. The Packers in recent years have had a habit of playing a really bad game when least expected. Maybe that was the Seattle game, or the Lions. But there is a growing sense of unease as game time nears. I absolutely hope I'm wrong. Is "pending doom" too strong a term?

Want a Valium?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »

I don't think this is an unreasonable feeling Ricky.  We will be going against a pretty good defense again, ranked 7 in total yards.  They have some quality talent on defense as well.  They have a strong running game going against our defense which has shown it can struggle against the run.

Miami is currently second in the NFL for fumbles lost, and is at 0 on the turnover margin.  We are +6 on turnover margin.  One can hope that the trend continues, because this game likely will come down to who wins on turnover margin.  If we can win that, we will win the game.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »

The game we played in Miami in the 09-10 regular season was a complete debacle and a game management gaff to say the least. Hope they have cured whatever ailed them in that heat.

We played Miami in Green Bay in 2010.  We didn't play Miami in 2009.

Results from 4 years ago are pointless as neither team is playing with the same players.

Couldnt remember where the game was played but I was referring to coaching calls not player performance(Kicking aside) the heat reference was just because thats the issue in this thread and i thought it was in Miami. But I do not see heat as a factor this game.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline BobW

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
Packers inactives:
WR Jarrett Boykin
QB Scott Tolzien
CB Demetri Goodson
LB Carl Bradford
LB Sam Barrington
C Garth Gerhart
DE Datone Jones

Josh Boyd will start at defensive end.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »
Good to see Body a go. Gonna need that 5th big body against the run.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline MrJuly4th

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 11:23:37 AM »
IMO, the key to the game is stopping the run and if we do not then win the turnover battle.  The Packers average the league's worst rush per game on defense at 163 yards average per game .. while Miami averages 142 yard per game furthermore, both Moreno and Miller average over 5 yards per carry.  It is going to be a long day for the defense if we don't stop the run and/or get turnovers.  If we cannot stop the run or win the turnover battle then the offense will have to play lights out. 

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
I think the Packers have to slow the 'phins running game to win today. If they can't, the defense will wither in that humidity. The flip side is that Lacy, Starks , and Harris need to be able to gain some chunks of yards to wear down the Miami defense. Then Rodgers can hit some deep passes.

I noticed that I'm the only one to predict a Packers loss against the dolphins, and I'm a little surprised by that given the Packers history in the series. Oh I know...what's happened in the past doesn't seem relevant to today's game. But Miami is a team the Packers have struggled with, and I don't think that fact can be ignored. And I think ricky posted that the Packers have a knack of stumbling against teams they seemingly should beat. To me this is one of those games.

But with that said, I'VE BEEN WRONG BEFORE...  GO PACKERS!!!   

( - ; # 

Offline MagicMansMullet

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
This game is making me nervous, but I'm still picking the Pack to win.  Let's get off to a fast start and make them have to pass more.  I could see Lamar Miller giving us fits.  31-21, packers.
"When itís third and long, you can take the milk drinkers and Iíll take the whiskey drinkers every time.Ē ó Max McGee