November 24, 2017, 06:56:46 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Panthers v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 20333 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Panthers v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:08:27 AM »
Back home after an inspiring win. The key to the game could be the Packers defense's ability to stop Cam Newton and the pass/run option, which has been their Achilles heel. Not panicking or losing sleep over this issue, but definitely something to consider.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Panthers v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »
Carolina has been banged up... will be interesting to see who may or may not come back for this game.  Sounds like Panthers could get Stewart back this week.

I watched the Panthers/Bengals game... I think Packers will struggle with containing the read option (again).  Cam Newton even looked good throwing the ball in the game, much was said regarding losing all of this WR targets in offseason.  But Benjamin looks good and he still has Olsen at TE.  Surprisingly Panthers rush offense is towards bottom of league.. but they have been without Stewart and Williams for a few games now and I think the rust is finally wearing off Cam a bit with all the offseason injuries.

This will be big test for Packers defense, Packers run defense has me a bit concerned for this game, especially if Lattimore cannot play.

Panthers defense really misses Hardy, they have not played well vs run or pass and giving up 26+ points a game, that is rather surprising.  The AFC North teams in particular have been putting up a lot of points, Steelers/Ravens/Bengals all put up at least 37 points. 

Panthers beat both Lions and Bears...  if Packers can win this game it would help for tie breakers in future as conference game and common opponent game.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
Cam Newton is a pretty solid QB who can run the Read Option as good as anyone. We just not to contain it and play good solid Packer football and it should be a win. I don't think the Panthers can deal with our passing game.

Packers:   24
Panthers:  13

Nick Perry looked good last week in Miami and expect him to play well this week. I want to see Guion have another solid game up front and HHCD to get another INT.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:00:14 PM »
Packers:   24
Panthers:  13

I do not see how our defense holds Carolina to 13 points... especially if Stewart comes back and Packers potentially missing Lattimore, Shields, Williams, D. Jones.  I see higher scoring game for both sides.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »
Containing Cam will be a challenge but their D hasn't been very good this year at all.

Offline BobW

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
The read option will be a problem and Greg Olsen is a really good TE. Bennett of the Bears had a big game against us and Olsen is capable to do the same. The offense just has to outscore them and that should definitely be possible with their defense.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
The read option will be a problem and Greg Olsen is a really good TE. Bennett of the Bears had a big game against us and Olsen is capable to do the same. The offense just has to outscore them and that should definitely be possible with their defense.

This!

Olsen is the player that Cam looks for the most. They have to minimize his impact on the game.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »
Olsen is the player that Cam looks for the most. They have to minimize his impact on the game.

This year rookie WR Kelvin Benjamin has been his favorite target, but he's been on the sidelines with a concussion this week:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11707692/carolina-panthers-wr-kelvin-benjamin-mild-concussion-hit-cincinnati-bengals-lb-vontaze-burficthe

Somebody posted that Benjamin isn't very fast, and that may be so for a WR. But this cat is 6'5" and weighs #240. So he's pretty much a tight end w/ 4.61 combine 40. I had the Packers taking him in the 2nd round, but he was long gone by then. I'm sorry about his concussion, but I hope he stays on the sidelines Sunday...

BOTTOM LINE A monster-sized, intimidating, big-play receiver, Benjamin has the overall strength, length and wide catching radius that will demand extra coverage be rolled his way. Showed continual improvement, is still growing into the position, and possesses the traits to become a legitimate No. 1 receiver. A very intriguing mismatch weapon with ascending talent.
                                                                                                                                                                                                -from NFL.com-

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »
The Packers are better at:
QB, RB, WR, OL, DB & ST
Carolina has a better fron 7 on defense (though even they have struggled lately.

At Lambeau, GB should bury the Panthers.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
QB, RB, WR, OL, DB & ST
Carolina has a better fron 7 on defense (though even they have struggled lately.

I'm not convinced they bury them. Newton is, imo, the best read option QB in the league, and for some reason GB just can't handle it very well. I think the Miami stuff was more of an adjustment they weren't ready for, but still they kept at in the 2nd half and were productive. I think this could be the complete game on offense they've been looking for, TOP, rushing yards, the whole shebang.

With the focus being on Newton and the read option they still have receiving options for Newton to go to. Cotchery is a veteran and so is Jason Avant. I think if they focus on containing Newton and making him throw to those guys the defense will have a good chance of having another good game.

They're supposedly getting Stewart back this week, so we could be seeing their running game as it should be.

I think the key to victory is going to be the offense. They need to get a lead and stay consistent. If the offense can help the defense by keeping Newton off the field, making them one dimensional, and making Newton force passes the defense will do well.

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
packers 38

panthers 28

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 06:14:07 AM »
QB, RB, WR, OL, DB & ST
Carolina has a better front 7 on defense (though even they have struggled lately.

I'm not convinced they bury them. Newton is, IMO, the best read option QB in the league, and for some reason GB just can't handle it very well. I think the Miami stuff was more of an adjustment they weren't ready for, but still they kept at in the 2nd half and were productive. I think this could be the complete game on offense they've been looking for, TOP, rushing yards, the whole shebang.

With the focus being on Newton and the read option they still have receiving options for Newton to go to. Cotchery is a veteran and so is Jason Av ant. I think if they focus on containing Newton and making him throw to those guys the defense will have a good chance of having another good game.

They're supposedly getting Stewart back this week, so we could be seeing their running game as it should be.

I think the key to victory is going to be the offense. They need to get a lead and stay consistent. If the offense can help the defense by keeping Newton off the field, making them one dimensional, and making Newton force passes the defense will do well.

I am not convinced they will either - I am saying what should happen at home given the matchups - but the Packers have been too inconsistent for me to confidently predict they will bury them.

Cam is a very talented, but erratic quarterback. I would feel more nervous about him running the read option if he had a decent running back behind him while running it. They are hurting at RB with DeAngelo Williams still out with injury

QB Cam Newton leads the Panthers in rushing with 31 for 149 yards and 4.8 per carry with 1 TD - the Packers need to punish him every time he carries the ball

RB Jonathan Stewart (who is returning with a banged up with a knee injury) will start and has 29 rushes for 88 yards and 3.0 per carry, 1 TD - he seems to be a shell of his former self. He can still grind, but really lacks much explosiveness.

He is backed up by RB Darrin Reaves, who is tied with Newton for the lead in carries with 31 for 76 yards and a 2.5 per carry with no tds

I remember folks quivering in their boots at the prospect of facing MN's powerful running attack - the Panthers rushing attack needs to be taken seriously, but not feared.

In the passing game Cams targets have been as follows

TE Greg Olsen 6'5" 253 leads the team  with 51 targets; 33 catches for 388 yards, 11.8 and 5 TDs - he is a dangerous pass catching TE who must be accounted for. Greg sat out of practice yesterday with a lingering ankle injury.

Rookie WR Kelvin Benjamin 6'5" 240 is their #1 WR --55 targets; 31 catches for 416 yards, 13.4 and 4 TDs - he too sat out with a concussion and his status is unclear for Sunday

Veterans WR Jerricho Cotchery 6'1" 205 are next (29 targets; 20 catches for 262 yards, 13.1 and 0) and WR Jason Av and 6'0" 210 (28 targets; 17 catches for 179, 19.5 and 1 TD). They are decent veterans, but they are NO Steve Smith.

Carolina is so depleted depth wise at WR that they were running 3rd string QB Joe Webb at WR yesterday in practice.

Carolina's strenth has always been their defensive front 7 - though they have not been anything like last year and are struggling to understand why.

I am not taking them lightly, I just believe that at home the Packers should be able to handle their business against a banged up Panthers squad
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:21:58 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 07:39:14 AM »

Do you think the Packers should emphasize the running game more? Because that would eat up the clock, keeping Newton neutralized, as you wisely suggested. But should the Packers go with Starks or Lacy? Starks seems to have been more productive, while Lacy has seemed indececive rather than simply cutting and banging. And what about Harris? He seems to be the forgotten man in the rotation.

And you're right about being consistent. The offense seems to run hot and cold, like the defense- it would be nice if they'd be a bit more consistent. But if the passing game is clicking, keep it going, while mixing in some runs.

Or maybe I'm simply overthinking a very simple game: do your job, beat your man.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 08:30:04 AM »
Carolina´s lengthy injury report...    think they held quite a few out for a rest only.

Benjamin got concussion on hit to head from Burfict, it is probably 50/50 he will play...  finished game vs Bengals, complained of headaches Monday and started protocol.  Williams is still 2 weeks out and Stewart will be back.  Their starting G will most likely miss game as well.  Davis had been injured prior, so I assume only resting him to recover some more and  assume both him and Olsen will play.

Benjamin, Kelvin   WR   Concussion   DNP   -   -   -
Benwikere, Bene   CB   Ankle           DNP   -   -   -
Blackburn, Chase   LB   Knee           DNP   -   -   -
Davis, Thomas           LB   Non-Injury   DNP   -   -   -
Edwards, Dwan   DT   Non-Injury   DNP   -   -   -
Harper, Roman           S   Non-Injury   DNP   -   -   -
Norman, Josh           CB   Concussion   LP   -   -   -
Olsen, Greg           TE   Ankle           DNP   -   -   -
Reaves, Darrin           RB   Calf                   LP   -   -   -
Silatolu, Amini           G   Calf                   DNP   -   -   -
Stewart, Jonathan   RB   Knee           FP   -   -   -
Whittaker, Fozzy   RB   Thigh           DNP   -   -   -
Williams, DeAngelo   RB   Ankle           DNP   

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 09:13:05 AM »
QB, RB, WR, OL, DB & ST

Don't know that much about the Panthers, but their OL is even worse than what the Packers run out there?