September 23, 2017, 06:09:50 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Saints Game Day Thread  (Read 23425 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Saints Game Day Thread
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:31:01 AM »
This is going to be a huge challenge for the Packers. B already put it very well: a "hornets nest". Absolutely. A team on the rise against a team with its back against the wall. Expect the unexpected. And this game officially makes me feel very, very uneasy. Throw out the stats- this is going to be a grudge match for the Saints.

Oh, yes, Skip Bayless? Sounds like good advise.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:59:50 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Saints Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »
Just looking at the matchup on paper, I see some things that jump out right away. The Saints real strength on that team appears to be running and run blocking. Their yearly totals look like this:

All RB's:

Attends: 150
Yards: 721
Average: 4.8
TD's: 7
Fumbles:  2

Their leading rusher is Khiry Robinson:

Attends: 64
Yards: 330
Average: 5.2
TD's: 2
Fumbles:  1

He has their longest run from scrimmage which was 62 yards. He has 15 missed tackles to his credit as well.

I expect the Saints to use their running game as much as they can to keep our offense off the field and to control the clock. They have only given up for 4 sacks this year and 1 to the Lions which has a pretty good front 7, so I expect them to take their shots downfield. Their Center (Goodwin) and RG (Evans) can and will be exploited to get to Brees. P. Thomas is excellent at catching passes out of the backfield, so we will need to keep him in check. They will run, dink and dunk to the TE and take some shots downfield.

It is the Saints defense where I see the biggest opportunities for Green Bay to not only win, but turn it into a rout.  The mismatches are in the secondary where CB Corey White and Safety Kenny Vaccaro will not be able to cover any of our top 3 WR's. Here are a few key numbers:

Corey White/Kenny Vaccaro:
Thrown at: 38/17
Receptions allowed: 30/12
Yards: 389/149
TD's: 3/0
INT's: 0/1
Passes Defended: 0/1
QB Rating: 135.6/72.9

Kenny Vaccaro has 11 missed tackles as well so I see great opportunity in the Saints secondary for Rodgers. The Packers will make sure Brian Dixon sees playing time with his 7-9 (receptions - thrown at) and QB rating of 152.8. There isn't a single CB in the bunch that can hang with our guys.

Junior Galette is their best pass rusher with 4 QB sacks, 6 hits and 14 QB hurries. He will be the main focus of our OL and the only real threat I see to get to Rodgers. Their run defense can be stout but with a wide open secondary to exploit, we will keep 3-4 WR's on the field and spread them out. This should open up some nice lanes for Lacy and Starks. Once they hit the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense, they can cause serious damage.

The Saints haven't beat anyone this year that I consider elite. Even the Lions pulled it out and they were missing their best WR. While the Saints are desperate for a win, hungry and playing at home, I think the Packers will be too much for them.

Packers: 45
Saints:   24

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:19 AM »
Thomas is actually out for 2-3 weeks, so that is good for us.  I will be interested to see the injury report.

Lots of confidence on Saints boards - Predict a win Sunday, a win against Carolina, and then a playoff run.  It's very possible, so beating them Sunday will be huge.

I'm interested to see how our defense holds up against their run game.  I agree, that's the huge thing here.  By the way Graham played last week, I can't imagine him being 100% Sunday, but who knows.

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »
Just looking at the matchup on paper, I see some things that jump out right away. The Saints real strength on that team appears to be running and run blocking. Their yearly totals look like this:

All RB's:

Attends: 150
Yards: 721
Average: 4.8
TD's: 7
Fumbles:  2

Their leading rusher is Khiry Robinson:

Attends: 64
Yards: 330
Average: 5.2
TD's: 2
Fumbles:  1

He has their longest run from scrimmage which was 62 yards. He has 15 missed tackles to his credit as well.

I expect the Saints to use their running game as much as they can to keep our offense off the field and to control the clock. They have only given up for 4 sacks this year and 1 to the Lions which has a pretty good front 7, so I expect them to take their shots downfield. Their Center (Goodwin) and RG (Evans) can and will be exploited to get to Brees. P. Thomas is excellent at catching passes out of the backfield, so we will need to keep him in check. They will run, dink and dunk to the TE and take some shots downfield.

It is the Saints defense where I see the biggest opportunities for Green Bay to not only win, but turn it into a rout.  The mismatches are in the secondary where CB Corey White and Safety Kenny Vaccaro will not be able to cover any of our top 3 WR's. Here are a few key numbers:

Corey White/Kenny Vaccaro:
Thrown at: 38/17
Receptions allowed: 30/12
Yards: 389/149
TD's: 3/0
INT's: 0/1
Passes Defended: 0/1
QB Rating: 135.6/72.9

Kenny Vaccaro has 11 missed tackles as well so I see great opportunity in the Saints secondary for Rodgers. The Packers will make sure Brian Dixon sees playing time with his 7-9 (receptions - thrown at) and QB rating of 152.8. There isn't a single CB in the bunch that can hang with our guys.

Junior Galette is their best pass rusher with 4 QB sacks, 6 hits and 14 QB hurries. He will be the main focus of our OL and the only real threat I see to get to Rodgers. Their run defense can be stout but with a wide open secondary to exploit, we will keep 3-4 WR's on the field and spread them out. This should open up some nice lanes for Lacy and Starks. Once they hit the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense, they can cause serious damage.

The Saints haven't beat anyone this year that I consider elite. Even the Lions pulled it out and they were missing their best WR. While the Saints are desperate for a win, hungry and playing at home, I think the Packers will be too much for them.

Love the effort you put into your posts Beagle....

Green Bay 34 V Saints 31
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:41:04 PM »

Thomas is out, as MNPack12 said, and it appears Goodwin is as well.

Packers DNP today were Shields, Starks, Burnett and Datone Jones. MM did say the latter three were "moving pretty well."

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
Love the effort you put into your posts Beagle....

Green Bay 34 V Saints 31

Thanks!

Two updates:

New Orleans has given up 6 sacks, not 4 and Pierre Thomas is out of Sunday Nights matchup. He is out 2-3 weeks with a shoulder injury.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »

I agree with all of your post, but emotionally everything is New Orlean's way.  The Packers are fat and happy and the Aints are hungry and at home.  How much does this touchy-feely crap matter?  It seems like this year in the NFL it has more than ever.  For example, I don't know how serious he was, but Clay said after the Panthers game that the criticism he received leading up to the game had motivated him. It seems like with highly paid professionals this outside stuff shouldn't matter, but maybe it does just enough.  On paper, your score seems sensible.  Just like the season opener, I think this is a bad time to get them.  I hope I'm just protecting myself by being a pessimist.

Saints: 35
Packers: 34

Offline fondypackfan

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
This game will definitely be a challenge; even with a terrible NFCS this is about as must win a game as a game in Week 8 can be.  The Saints don't want to be 2-5.

That being said their secondary is not very good to put it mildly and I have no doubt the Packers will score their points.  On offense Jimmy Graham is not likely anywhere near even 80% based on how he played on Sunday and some other guys are banged up as well.  It is hard for me to envision the Saints offense keeping up with the Packers. None of their receivers should really scare anyone; buts its not like they are bad either.  They have a good run game but will Payton and Brees go to that strength or will they stay pass happy like always?

I will not be surprised if the Saints rise up and play a great game and beat us; but I am still hoping and expecting a win.  Going into the bye at 6-2 with two homes games coming up would be a great position to be in.  If Burnett doesn't play I reserve the right to change my mind but it sounds like we should have Jones, Burnett, and Starks on Sunday.  Maybe Shield but I doubt it.

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
packers 38

saints 17

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
Packers injury report for Wednesday - apparently Burnett was injured late in game.

S Morgan Burnett (calf, did not practice)
DE Datone Jones (ankle, did not practice)
CB Sam Shields (knee, did not practice)
RB James Starks (ankle, did not practice)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 02:39:50 AM »
This is a classic trap game. Saints are both a talented team AND pretty desperate for a win, a bad combination to face. So why is it that I don't feel concerned ?

This fat and happy feeling must be mostly down to the Packers being fairly healthy (compared to the last few years) and the good performances by stalwarts like Rodgers, Nelson, Sitton, young guns like Lattimore, Clinton-Dix, Hayward, House, Perry and the rising level of play from recently acquired vets Peppers and Guion. I just feel that as a team the Packers are deeper with talent overall, especially the talent beyond the difference-makers. To put it simply, they are the Naga chilli to the Saints delicate palate, even in their house, just too hot to handle.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »
This game will be won based on the play of a single group. The offensive line. This group will play like all-stars one week, and junior varsity the next. This game they need to dictate the pace. Protecting Rodgers and opening up holes for Lacy and Starks. If they can control that line and come out scoring on the first couple drives while chewing some clock, it will force the Saints into pass-happy mode, which will make life easier for the defense. If the Saints become one-dimensional the pass rush should be able to get home. Hope they are up to the task.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:17 AM »
Curiously, Carolina has more riding on this game than we do. Their playoff chances are more strongly affected by this game than our are.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 05:34:34 AM »
This game will be won based on the play of a single group. The offensive line.

I think the key component is our DL. The Saints don't have much of a defense, that doesn't worry me. Brees does. If we can knock him around a bit, we're good.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:38:14 AM »
To put it simply, they are the Naga chilli to the Saints delicate palate, even in their house, just too hot to handle.

;D  hysterical