November 19, 2017, 10:02:52 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Saints Game Day Thread  (Read 26258 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Saints Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »
The sense of optimism is curious to see. The Saints have won both their games at home, and rival Seattle in having a home field advantage. Their four losses have been by a total of less than ten points. This game has all the signs of being a case of whoever has the ball last. Because although the defense has been improving, the Saints are one of the few teams in the league that can be as explosive as the Packers on offense. Expect a really good game, and expect a lot of points, and expect one mistake in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter to decide the outcome.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
The Saints offense is a handful, ricky, but can their defense handle our offense with Rodgers firing on all cylinders?  IMO the main reason why their game in Detroit was close is because the Lions' offense really struggles without Megatron.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
Packers: 45
Saints:   24

I agree with all of your post, but emotionally everything is New Orlean's way.  The Packers are fat and happy and the Aints are hungry and at home.  How much does this touchy-feely crap matter?  It seems like this year in the NFL it has more than ever.  For example, I don't know how serious he was, but Clay said after the Panthers game that the criticism he received leading up to the game had motivated him. It seems like with highly paid professionals this outside stuff shouldn't matter, but maybe it does just enough.  On paper, your score seems sensible.  Just like the season opener, I think this is a bad time to get them.  I hope I'm just protecting myself by being a pessimist.

Saints: 35
Packers: 34

I always considered the "they're professionals; outside noise and bulletin board material doesn't matter" cliche to be wishful thinking.

Of course that stuff matters.  Players aren't robots.  They're humans.  Furthermore, many of them are in their early to mid twenties, the age in which many males are coming into maturity.

That doesn't mean players don't try hard every Sunday.  But to think that players aren't motivated by certain match-ups or by outside and/or inside criticism is naive to me.

I said in B's "hornet's nest" thread that I think the Packers lose in a close one.  Seems like we're on the same page.

Regardless, this will be a great litmus test for a defense that ostensibly seems to be improving.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
Some news on the injury front:

Starks and Jones returned to practice, which is a good indicator that both will have a chance to play on Sunday.

However, both Shields and Burnett remained sidelined, which doesn't bode well for their chances to play Sunday.

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
MM said in his presser that "concern for Morgan is higher than it was yesterday," whatever that means. He didn't use the "S" word, so it might just mean that his availability for Sunday is in greater doubt than previously thought. Still, that would be a big loss given how well he's played this year, and the fact that we're already shorthanded against Brees and company.

maxman44

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
The betting lines changed by 1 to 1.5 points right after MM's presser when he said Shields was doubtful and Burnett is questionable

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
The betting lines changed by 1 to 1.5 points right after MM's presser when he said Shields was doubtful and Burnett is questionable

Adding to that, Datone Jones has been declared out. Starks is probable.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
Burnett is very good against the run so he will be missed.

I thought I read it was a calf injury. Not sure how serious it is.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »
Given that it's a night game, he'll have some extra time to give it a go.

However, of the safeties, I consider Burnett to be the worst against the run, but maybe that's because I think very highly of Clinton-Dix, Hyde, and Richardson in run support.

The run game is quite important, though:  the Saints' running game is probably the best it's been since 2009, despite the injuries to the position.

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »
Saints Friday injury report:

Did Not Practice
C Jonathan Goodwin (Knee/Ankle) - OUT
RB Khiry Robinson (Forearm) - OUT
LB Kyle Knox (Ankle) - OUT
RB Pierre Thomas (RIB/Shoulder) - OUT

Limited
DB Keenan Lewis (Knee/Shoulder) - Questionable
LB Ramon Humber (Ankle) - Questionable
TE Jimmy Graham (Shoulder) - Questionable
NT Brodrick Bunkley (Concussion) - Questionable

Full
DB Patrick Robinson (Hamstring) - Probable

Mark Ingram will get the bulk of the carries, while Travaris Cadet will see a lot of work on passing downs. I wonder if there's any chance either Lewis or Bunkley doesn't play. I'm certain we'll see Graham suit up.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »

However, of the safeties, I consider Burnett to be the worst against the run, but maybe that's because I think very highly of Clinton-Dix, Hyde, and Richardson in run support.

The run game is quite important, though:  the Saints' running game is probably the best it's been since 2009, despite the injuries to the position.

IMO, HHCD is more solid against the pass than Burnett, while Burnett is very successful against the run. HHCD can also tackle, no doubt about it. Burnett has been creeping up to the line a lot this year while HHCD sits back a bit.

I hope Burnett can go on Sunday night. I like the duo we have back there.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

Offline Smokey

• Rookie
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
GB - 27
NO - 23

Too much political discussions on other sports forums. Glad to see this forum is not running for any office.

Sunday nite game, in a domed stadium, & New Orleans cooking should make for a spicey weekend.   thumbsup)

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »

IMO, HHCD is more solid against the pass than Burnett, while Burnett is very successful against the run. HHCD can also tackle, no doubt about it. Burnett has been creeping up to the line a lot this year while HHCD sits back a bit.

I hope Burnett can go on Sunday night. I like the duo we have back there.

I hope Burnett can go too, but we'll have to disagree on who is the better tackler. :)

Here is a recent article on HaHa's play and, in particular, his tackling:  http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/14628/clinton-dix-solidifies-packers-safety-spot

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
If Burnett can't go, I expect to see Sean Richardson get significant PT and to play well in run support.

Might be his coming out party.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »
That vaunted Saints running attack will come into Sunday nights game razor thin, with:

Khiry Robinson  64 - 330 - 5.2, declared out for Sunday night 
Mark Ingram  34 - 159 - 4.7, likely going to have to carry the load fully for the thin Saints
Pierre Thomas  30 - 133 - 4.4, declared out for Sunday's game
Travaris Cadet  3 - 10 - 3.3, primarily a pass catcher out of the backfield

They also just lost their starting center
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi