December 16, 2017, 10:41:29 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Eagles v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 16505 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Eagles v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »
This is going to be a challenge. Two high octane offenses facing each other. Similar to the Packers playing the Saints- only this time, the Packers are at home. Expect a lot of scoring- it could very well be a case of whoever has the ball last wins. But, will Capers be able to think of a new wrinkle to throw at Philly? Because they'll be expecting CMIII on the inside. So, what will be the next move in the defensive/offensive chess game between these two? Somehow, Peppers comes to mind as the next player to be moved around to maximize his impact, and confound the opposing offense.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Eagles v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
The biggest difference between the Eagles and Saints is Sanchez vs. Brees. I really hope he regresses this coming week. Even if he plays similar to how he did 2 weeks ago with 2tds/2ints I'll take that. I would bank on us cashing in on those ints.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
Sanchez looked good at home against one of the league's worst defenses. I don't think he was ever as bad as the New York media made him out to be, but he still has a tendency to get rattled and do some inexplicable things, almost like a poor man's Cutler. The Eagles have a ton of firepower on offense, especially with Jordan Mathews now starting to break out, so this will be another test for our defense. It would be great to get an early lead and go after Sanchez.

Offline MagicMansMullet

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:12:19 AM »
Sanchez looked good at home against one of the league's worst defenses. I don't think he was ever as bad as the New York media made him out to be, but he still has a tendency to get rattled and do some inexplicable things, almost like a poor man's Cutler. The Eagles have a ton of firepower on offense, especially with Jordan Mathews now starting to break out, so this will be another test for our defense. It would be great to get an early lead and go after Sanchez.

Agreed, I always thought Sanchez "flaws" were in large part a byproduct of a team that only cared about defense and just expected Sanchez to get better without every really coaching him up.  Chip Kelly will put him in a position to succeed but Sanchez will still throw one or two horrible throws that we need to take advantage of.  The best way to rattle him, and this goes for pretty much any quarterback, is to get pressure on him.
"When itís third and long, you can take the milk drinkers and Iíll take the whiskey drinkers every time.Ē ó Max McGee

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »
If the Packers can pressure Sanchez he will throw up a few interception opportunities. House and Shields need to catch the balls they dropped last week when the opportunties are there.  LeSean McCoy and Darren Sproles will stress the linebackers in coverage, as Chip Kelly teams are always good at throwing a variety of different screens at aggressive defenses.

If given time Rodgers should be able to carve up an aggressive defense, but the Eagles can put a great deal of pressure on a QB
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:02:19 AM »
How do you beat pressure/blitzes? How about screen passes to Lacy? AR eluding the rush and running for a first down before stepping (uninjured) out of bounds? How about keeping a RB and/or TE in to help with blocking? Or have one of them chip and then get a pass in the flat and go for YAC?

As far as Sanchez goes, this seems to be the new way of looking at the NFL. Roethlisberger explodes for two 6-TD games, and suddenly he's the greatest QB in the league. Last week he and the Steelers crashed and burned. Brady, who had been "washed up" in the early going, now rebounds to his normal play, and people are surprised. Rodgers and the offense had a slow start, and now are beginning to click. Why the surprise? Last year Foles was considered an up and coming franchise QB. Now, his tenure as a starting QB is being questioned.

So, Sanchez has looked decent in two games, one against a team (Carolina) that seems to be mailing in their season. Now, he is being seen as the possible new "San-chise" in Philly. The best QB's will do it week after week, year after year. The rest will excel in fits and starts, and be replaced by the next big thing. Until they also wear out their welcome.

I don't know how well Sanchez will play Sunday. Probably adequately, and if that's good enough to beat the Packers, so be it. The question to me is not how well Sanchez plays, but how well the defense plays. The question will be whether the hurry up offense of Philly will catch the Packers with some defensive mismatches the Eagles can exploit.

But even with all that written, I can't see the Eagles stopping Rodgers. Right now, the guy is hot. And when he's on his game, there is no better QB in the league. And when he is off his game,  he's still in the top 3-5. But then again, that's why they play the game. Because one bad call, one small tweak, one missed assignment could make the difference. 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »

Think we've seen it enough to declare it proven fact that the best D against GB is the two deep safety alignment. Leave pass rush up to the front 4-6 guys. Has proven effective in preventing the deep pass - slows down the offense and increases potential for delayed / unsuccessful drives. Dont know that Philly is gonna play it - or that they've got the goods up front to make it work - but if I was playing GB, I'd certainly look at my D to see if I could pull it off.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »

Think we've seen it enough to declare it proven fact that the best D against GB is the two deep safety alignment. Leave pass rush up to the front 4-6 guys. Has proven effective in preventing the deep pass - slows down the offense and increases potential for delayed / unsuccessful drives. Dont know that Philly is gonna play it - or that they've got the goods up front to make it work - but if I was playing GB, I'd certainly look at my D to see if I could pull it off.

Well, if the safeties are playing deep, obviously they aren't in run support at the line. So, back to Lacy catching short passes, like he did in NO. Or even R. Rodgers/Quarless/Bostick(!) catching short passes to move the chains. So a drive takes six or seven minutes- that would keep their high octane offense on the sidelines, wear down their defense, and cause them to either change move the safeties, allowing more deep shots, or let the Packers play ball control, WCO football.

Then, there is always the Packers running game- a dose of Lacy/Starks, with Harris being the chang-of-pace back. On the other hand, the last time I predicted a strong offensive game with last possession deciding the game was against NO. And look how that turned out. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
The problem the Packers have faced against the two deep safety deal is that even when the safeties aren't in run support, our run game still hasn't been able to make people pay; and our TE's haven't been able to get separation, catch passes, and make defenses pay. 

Online LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 01:54:25 PM »
I hope Capers throws the house at Sanchez.  Over and over again.  I don't think he will be able to hang. 

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:48 AM »
Packers 34

Eagles 28

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

The Good: Pending

The Bad: Pending

The Ugly: Packers Throwbacks

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »
Like many people are saying, this is a very important game. I think the atmosphere at Lambeau is going to be sky high. Glad this one is in Lambeau for several reasons.

Throw aside the dominating pass rush the Eagles employed against the Panthers and they still have a great pass rush. The 2 outside LB's and the nickel/dime rusher can really bring it. If this one was on the road I would be very concerned. Hopefully the hard count and cadence can neutralize things.

I see the 2 weak spots on the Eagles defense as being the safety Nate Allen and the MLB's.

I'm not convinced Mark Sanchez will make mistakes. He seems like a completely different player on an off the field even before Nick Foles got hurt. He received high praises leading into the regular season, and them Eagles receivers seem to be wide open more often than not. I hadn't realized how great of a receiver Jeremy Maclin had become before watching several Eagles games this week. I like Sam Shields against him on a deep ball and am wondering if he'll shadow him all day. Shields can run with Maclin and Maclin doesn't have the size to play above Shields. Should be a nice matchup I think.

I don't think the TE's can take over a game but are more than capable of making key 3rd down receptions. Obviously McCoy and Sproles are players who need to be accounted for at all times. It's going to take an excellent game plan and on field play to hold these guys in check.

The fact that Green Bay already loves to sit in it's sub packages all game long may be a slight plus against the fast paced offense of the Eagles.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:38 AM »
Brandon Bostick is hurt....again. Here's a couple of snippets about the Packers on ESPN Eagles Blog site:

http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles

We'll see if the Packers can bring the heat on Sanchez; then we'll see if he's as composed as he's appeared so far. Capers will still have to be prepared to adjust on the fly as the game progresses, because the Chipster and will expect, and maybe even welcome, a strategy chess match.

As others have posted the Packers have to keep Sproles in check, not only from scrimmage, but also on punt returns. He's really hurt the Packers in the past. I think Masthay needs to have one of his huge directional/inside the 20, kicking games. Maybe he'll even resurrect "the coffin corner!"

I think Darren Sproles is their most dynamic player on offense, but Chip has developed quite a diverse offense that's tough to contain. I expect Zach Ertz to get plenty of looks as well; because the Birds will likely try and employ a fast-paced, but controlled offense, to minimize some possessions for the Packers. McCoy is surely get plenty of touches running and in the passing game. However, Chip will let Sanchez take some deep shots on the Packer secondary.

With that said, it's tough for me to see the Packers winning this game, even with Sanchez at the helm. I posted a loss in "predict the season," BUT...as my JQ disclaimer states, "I've been wrong before." This could be a very entertaining game, and I'm quite disappointed that the local Fox station is airing the seahawks v. chiefs game. I guess I'll listen to the Larivee/McCarren radio stream on WTMJ 620:

http://www.620wtmj.com/listen-live

GO PACKERS and GO LEATHER HELMETS!!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:55:33 AM by JQ »

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »
Brandon Bostick seems to get hurt a lot.  This is the third time in a year.  He's been a disappointment.

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
Green Bay 31 v Phiadelphia 23
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.