September 23, 2017, 05:53:59 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread  (Read 16587 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
Yes, we're all waiting for the Patriots game. But this is a very important game. Its a divisional opponent, and if the Packers can end up 5-1 in the division, they should get a bye or a home game or both. Don't underestimate the Vikings either. They have a tendency to look at their games against the Packers as their chance at respectability. Could this be that hoariest of cliches- the dreaded "trap game"? Rodgers on his show said the Packers would be ready, and so has MM. But considering how hot the team and AR have been, and the huge disparity of opponents this week and next week- it seems its going to be difficult to take this game very seriously. Hopefully the Packers do so, get an early lead, pound the ball with Lacy, and bring home another win.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »
Good summation, Ricky.  I wholeheartedly concur!  Stay focused boys...this is the Super Bowl for the Vikings in their house!  No reason we shouldn't dispatch of this team in impressive fashion, unless....

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:46:54 AM »
I wouldn't take the Vikings lightly. They're still fighting hard and have quite a good defense in my opinion. I recall the pass rush early in the season being there, but not quite getting the sack numbers. Zimmer was stressing they need to rush the passer as a team. I think they've done that as the season has wore on, except for the Bears game last week. Could it be that each individual saw an opportunity for the spotlight against the Bears and Jay Cutler? I think if they play a team game, they could possibly have an opportunity to slow down the Packer offense enough to keep it a game. They've played pretty solid defense this year, I've thought.

A few big Eddie Lacy runs, a home run ball to Jordy, and a couple critical turnovers were really the major difference in the first game. I think everyone remembers some of the many 3 and outs that game. I think the Packers have a more balanced offense now. Davante Adams seems fully trusted, the TE's have been getting involved, and Eddie Lacy has been a big part of the passing game. None of those components were really part of the offense early on. It wouldn't surprise me to see another pile of points racked up, but I'm not expecting it. The Vikings are fighting for a winning record, and they can't be too happy about losing the way they did on national TV early in the season.

While I don't think Bridgewater will be a game changer, Christian Ponder's inability to throw a ball down field or make quick reads, certainly played a huge role in that game.

I think if the pass rush can get after Bridgewater early and force some punts and/or turnovers, it could be a tough day for the Vikings again despite having a pretty good defense. It will take ball control and no turnovers for the Vikings to be able to have a shot at winning. Rodgers is just playing at a different level than everyone else.

The receiver I'm most concerned about is actually Charles Johnson. He really looks like an NFL receiver. Disappointing that the Packers lost him. I'm shocked at how much Cordarelle Patterson has regressed under the new regime. I truly thought he was going to be a headache to deal with for the foreseeable future.

Watching some Vikings games, it looks like some teams haven't used a silent count. A lot of open air at the stadium. A big plus if it doesn't get overly loud there and the offense is able to verbally communicate. They still play that hugely annoying Viking horn, which I can't stand...probably just like they can't stand 'Go Pack Go!'
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:52:59 AM by skcusICH »

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:36:33 AM »
Any team that doesn't take a division rivalry game seriously is not a worthy professional football team. Division games are always tougher than they appear on paper, though the Packers are worthy 10 point road favorites.

TCF Bank Stadium, an outdoor ("horseshoe" style) stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota  is currently the smallest stadium in the NFL by seat capacity. When one factors in the Packers are likely to have between 12 - 20 fans in the seats - noise should not be a factor for either team.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
The article by Bob Fox is again interesting, insightful and spot on. A must read. Also, B, did you mean 12 to 20 thousand Packers fans? Because that is probably a realistic projection, since te Minny wimps seem to like huddling indoors when the weather turns nasty. 

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
Yes, we cannot take this bunch lightly.  As long as we play our game and not turn it over we should win this game.  This will be a dog fight, especially early on.  If we get a 2+ score lead that should take the starch out of them in no time.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
The article by Bob Fox is again interesting, insightful and spot on. A must read. Also, B, did you mean 12 to 20 thousand Packers fans? Because that is probably a realistic projection, since te Minny wimps seem to like huddling indoors when the weather turns nasty.

Indeed I did ricky, Thanks for the catch and clarification, I got distracted mid post while posting from my phone

The Pack scored 42 against them earlier  his season and are 8-1-1 in the last 10 games against the Vikings and McCarthy holds a 13-4-1 (.750) record coaching against the Vikes since taking over as HC of the Packers in 2006.

The Packers hold a 57-49-2 (.537) edge over the Vikings in the all-time series.

Normal rarely applies when facing a border state division rival - like someone else stated earlier, for MN this is their Super Bowl.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:47:10 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
For the fire MM proclaimers the following may come as a surprise:

With a win at MN Mike McCarthy's regular season record will go to  90-48-1, passing legendary Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi, who  has  89 wins,  for the second most regular-season wins in franchise history, trailing only Curly Lambeau who sits atop with 209...

I know Alden, regular season doesn't count ;) (hope you note the playful wink)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:54:24 PM by B »
-Vince Lombardi

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »

With a win at MN Mike McCarthy's regular season record will go to  90-48-1, passing legendary Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi, who  has  89 wins,  for the second most regular-season wins in franchise history, trailing only Curly Lambeau who sits atop with 209...

Should also note that MM got to 89 in 138 games while Vince got there in a 122(89-29-4). So, you can't claim longevity to discredit MM compared to Lombardi. IN fact, due to 14 games a season then to 16 now, MM did it in just as many seasons(Both 9 seasons).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:11:04 PM by cpk1994 »
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »

Should also note that MM got to 89 in 138 games while Vince got there in a 122(89-29-4). So, you can't claim longevity to discredit MM compared to Lombardi. IN fact, due to 14 games a season then to 16 now, MM did it in just as many seasons(Both 9 seasons).

So it took him 18 games longer, but you're stating it wasn't due to 'longevity'! I don't think that word, 'longevity' means what you think it means. Also, in Lombardi's first two seasons they only played 12 games. Lombardi had a playoff record of 9-1. What is Mike's? I don't mean to disparage McCarthy here, but when you're trying to compare him to Saint Vincent, you're opening yourself up for the obvious!

As for the Viking game, yes division game, shouldn't be taken lightly, but this ought to be a complete blowout. Like 20+ points blow out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:22:52 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
As for the Viking game, yes division game, shouldn't be taken lightly, but this ought to be a complete blowout. Like 20+ points blow out.

This optimism is indeed warranted, and I truly hope the game goes the way it should. But then again, (hoary cliche II) "any given Sunday..." What I'm hoping is that the Vikings indeed do treat this game like its the Super Bowl, considering they're 0-4 in that game. The Packers are going to welcome Brett back- perhaps the Vikings could have a "Joe Kapp (cap) celebration".

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »

This optimism is indeed warranted, and I truly hope the game goes the way it should. But then again, (hoary cliche II) "any given Sunday..." What I'm hoping is that the Vikings indeed do treat this game like its the Super Bowl, considering they're 0-4 in that game. The Packers are going to welcome Brett back- perhaps the Vikings could have a "Joe Kapp (cap) celebration".

The first bolded part is funny right there, good one! Maybe the Vikings will welcome back Favre too on Sunday!  >:D Couldn't resist!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 07:03:27 PM »
Well, something to consider.

http://blog.packers.com/2014/11/19/news-now-matthews-perry-added-to-injury-report/

Remember that Matthews seemed to feel something bad when he batted down that pass from Sanchez in the third quarter (?). He came down on one leg, and hopped up and down without putting any weight on one leg. Worried? Hardly. He'll be out there, along with Sitton and Lang. Perry is a bit more concerning, considering his injury history since he was drafted.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 07:09:02 PM »

http://blog.packers.com/2014/11/19/news-now-matthews-perry-added-to-injury-report/

Remember that Matthews seemed to feel something bad when he batted down that pass from Sanchez in the third quarter (?). He came down on one leg, and hopped up and down without putting any weight on one leg. Worried? Hardly. He'll be out there, along with Sitton and Lang. Perry is a bit more concerning, considering his injury history since he was drafted.

McCarthy in the article I read was not worried about Clay.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 07:14:36 PM »

McCarthy in the article I read was not worried about Clay.

Mike Neal will fill in admirably for Perry and Elliott will be OK against the Vikings. I'd rather Perry take the week off and be ready for NE. We could beat MN without Matthews but really hope we keep the momentum up on defense. Also, if they play well without him it may give them a false sense of security with Barrington and Hawk inside.