November 19, 2017, 10:08:15 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread  (Read 18846 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
I don't expect the big blowout or big score.  And the Vikings defense has some good players. But the Vikings are very limited offensively. 

I don't think Rodgers and the offense will need to have the efficiency we're seen recently in order to win this one.  Vikings offense isn't going to score a ton of points, so we won't need to score every time to win.

Playing outside in the cold, that's not a big part of Bridgewater's experience; big disadvantage for them, I think.  He doesn't have an especially strong arm, and he simply isn't that accurate of a passer beyond 15 yards regardless of weather.  If we can get to some 3rd downs, even when receivers get open he's going to miss on some of his 3rd-down throws. 

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
I live in the Twin Cities and have tickets to the game.  Section 107.  YEAH.  A season ticket holder game me his tickets (a very good friend).

The weather looks like 34 with rain/snow.   I am praying for no wind but we don't need a slick ball. 

This is the Viking's Super Bowl so I am very very very very nervous. 

They will be focused on taking the running game away and will come with their butts on fire on the pass rush.  If we do not throw slants early and often I will be mad.  Run a screen pass every once in awhile. 

When we are on D.....they will again run curls behind Hawk (like every other team in the league), I just hope Teddy is off. 

Don't let them run back a Kick.

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »
I checked the Packers "Predict" the season thread... 3 posters still have perfect season going with picking Packers games.  They all picked Packers to beat Vikings... so that is probably a good sign   ;D    thumbsup)    cheese)

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
Looks like Minnesota is trying to bolster their thin stable of running backs:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11904304/minnesota-vikings-claim-rb-ben-tate-waivers

I hope they use him on Sunday because, rookie QB + brand new running back= fumble(s)

I think it will sound like a Packer home game on Sunday. Many 1000s of Packer fans will be there!

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 01:06:49 AM »
Packers 28

Vikings 20

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 05:41:23 AM »
For the fire MM proclaimers the following may come as a surprise:

With a win at MN Mike McCarthy's regular season record will go to  90-48-1, passing legendary Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi, who  has  89 wins,  for the second most regular-season wins in franchise history, trailing only Curly Lambeau who sits atop with 209...

Should also note that MM got to 89 in 138 games while Vince got there in a 122(89-29-4). So, you can't claim longevity to discredit MM compared to Lombardi. IN fact, due to 14 games a season then to 16 now, MM did it in just as many seasons(Both 9 seasons).

So it took him 18 games longer, but you're stating it wasn't due to 'longevity'! I don't think that word, 'longevity' means what you think it means. Also, in Lombardi's first two seasons they only played 12 games. Lombardi had a playoff record of 9-1. What is Mike's? I don't mean to disparage McCarthy here, but when you're trying to compare him to Saint Vincent, you're opening yourself up for the obvious!

Golf: pointing out Mike McCarthy's remarkable achievement of currently being tied with Vince Lombardi for most Packer regular season wins as a Head Coach is simply an interesting fact. Mike's next victory (likely Sunday in MN) will move him past Vince into 2nd place behind Curly Lambeau in most Packer regular season victories is simply a noteworth fact. Doing so in no way disrespects Vince Lombardi or diminishes his incredible record.

I remember well watching the 5 Championship seasons during Lombardi's reign, and consider him to be perhaps the greatest Professional head coach of all time. It broke my heart when he decided to bail out on Green Bay. Mike's achievement stands on its own merits and should not have to come with a Vince history lesson, but since you seem to be insisting, here you go:

Lombardi's Coaching Career:
Year   Coaching   W   L   T   Pct   Finish   Playoffs
1959   Green Bay   7   5   0   .583   3-NFL Western Conference   -
1960   Green Bay   8   4   0   .667   1-NFL Western Conference   0-1
1961   Green Bay#   11   3   0   .786   1-NFL Western Conference   1-0
1962   Green Bay#   13   1   0   .929   1-NFL Western Conference   1-0
1963   Green Bay   11   2   1   .846   2-NFL Western Conference   -
1964   Green Bay   8   5   1   .615   2-NFL Western Conference   -
1965   Green Bay#   10   3   1   .769   1-NFL Western Conference   2-0
1966   Green Bay#   12   2   0   .857   1-NFL Western Conference   2-0
1967   Green Bay#   9   4   1   .692   1-NFL Central Division   3-0
1969   Washington   7   5   2   .583   2-NFL Capitol Division   -
NFL Totals   (10 years)   96   34   6   .739      9-1
Green Bay   (9 years)   89   29   4   .754      9-1

BTW:
 ~ the NFL only played 12 games until 1960 (Vince's first two seasons as a HC), as they were a 12 team league then.
 ~ the NFL expanded to 14 games in 1961 when the league added its 14th team, the Minnesota Vikings (the league had expanded to 13 teams the year before by adding the Dallas Cowboys)
 ~ as you can see the playoffs were limited to a single game during Vince's first championships and only began to significantly change after the merger with the AFL

Back to the game at hand (and the topic of this thread), I expect Mike McCarthy to get his 90th regular season victory in Minneapolis on Sunday, as the Vikings are an improving, but inferior team surrounded by too much uncertainty, change and controversy.

I expect the Packers to more than cover the (approx) 10 point spread, but am never surprised when divisional games are closer than predicted.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:59:02 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 06:26:15 AM »
B,

Not sure what point you're trying to make here. A poster stated McCarthy is now tied with Lombardi for wins and insisted it was not due to longevity, but then pointed out if took McCarthy 18 games longer to get there. That in and of itself is contradictory. Didn't need the history lesson on Lombardi that you felt compelled to add either. Most of what you pointed out was in my post. Thanks though and again, it wasn't a slight at McCarthy, but if you're trying to compare him to Lombardi in any way, you get rightfully laughed at.

Again, as for Vikings! The wind and rain make me a bit uncomfortable because turnovers can become real common place in weather like that. Short of us coughing it up multiple times, MN doesn't have the players to keep up with us.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
The first bolded part is funny right there, good one! Maybe the Vikings will welcome back Favre too on Sunday!  >:D Couldn't resist!

Oh my. My first good laugh of the day. Well played!  thumbsup)
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »
B,

Not sure what point you're trying to make here. A poster stated McCarthy is now tied with Lombardi for wins and insisted it was not due to longevity, but then pointed out if took McCarthy 18 games longer to get there. That in and of itself is contradictory. Didn't need the history lesson on Lombardi that you felt compelled to add either. Most of what you pointed out was in my post. Thanks though and again, it wasn't a slight at McCarthy, but if you're trying to compare him to Lombardi in any way, you get rightfully laughed at.

Again, as for Vikings! The wind and rain make me a bit uncomfortable because turnovers can become real common place in weather like that. Short of us coughing it up multiple times, MN doesn't have the players to keep up with us.

No slight to you intended Golf, or to St Vincent ;)

Simply trying to be clear in recognizing our recently extended HC Mike McCarthy, who in his ninth season as Packers coach is 89-48-1 during the regular season and 6-5 in the playoffs with a Super Bowl victory during the 2010 season - and hopefully moving that number up a notch on Sunday on this teams quest to bring home the Lombardi and our 14 NFL Championship.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
Looks like the Vikings are a little banged up.  Asiata and McKinnon didn't practice at RB.  Their WR corps also looks to have issues with Jennings and Wright not practicing.

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
Blowouts are nice, but I'm not expecting one.  What I really, really want to know, is if this team can battle back from behind on the road!  GB showed they can do it at home, against the Jets, but I've yet to see team keep it together when they fall behind on the road - the exception being in Miami.  I think this aspect is important for teams to advance in the playoffs because so few teams get home field advantage throughout.

Now, I'm hopeful GB doesn't have to battle from behind this weekend, but blowout wins can sometimes have unintended and unwanted side effects.   
“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
Good thing this isn't the week we play Buffalo. I think we go there this year. Crazy amounts of snow up there.

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »
Good thing this isn't the week we play Buffalo. I think we go there this year. Crazy amounts of snow up there.

Looks like that game might be moved to a dome.  I think I'd rather play them in DET than in BUF...Crazy weather up there.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 06:26:38 AM »
Mike McCarthey should show the highlights of the KC - Oakland game.  Divisonal game, KC with a 5 game winning streak, on the road.  Don't know if KC was just looking past Oakland but they made Oakland look like a playoff team in that game.  Hopefully Green Bay buckles down for this game and if they do should be another blowout.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 07:36:30 AM »
Mike McCarthey should show the highlights of the KC - Oakland game.  Divisonal game, KC with a 5 game winning streak, on the road.  Don't know if KC was just looking past Oakland but they made Oakland look like a playoff team in that game.  Hopefully Green Bay buckles down for this game and if they do should be another blowout.

One of the announcers called it a "classic trap game" for the Chiefs. Since the Packers just had Philly and are looking at NE next week...  confused(
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid