September 21, 2017, 04:27:35 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread  (Read 16517 times)

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Vikings Game Day Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »
So it took him 18 games longer, but you're stating it wasn't due to 'longevity'! I don't think that word, 'longevity' means what you think it means. Also, in Lombardi's first two seasons they only played 12 games. Lombardi had a playoff record of 9-1. What is Mike's? I don't mean to disparage McCarthy here, but when you're trying to compare him to Saint Vincent, you're opening yourself up for the obvious!

Sure you mean to disparage MM here. You have been doing it for a long time. You are one of the main ones who have tried to discredit MM from everything. You gave no credit to him for the Super Bowl, claiming that Rodger went on some kind of unreal run which was completely debunked by the facts and stats as false. You refused to give MM any credit of any kind even after you were proven wrong. 

And that gets to the point I made which is that you and others discredit MM wins total by claiming the ONLY reason he won all those games is longevity. Well, he did it in almost the same amount of games Lombardi did and nobody ever says Lombardi only got the wins because of longevity. I never said that MM was better than Lombardi. What I am doing is giving MM the proper credit he deserves for achieving that many wins.

You have to be a damn good coach to get that many wins no matter how much you try to discredit and disparage him.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:22:45 AM by LMGAdmin »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
Packers have always emphasized divisional game under MM... he has great record vs the 3 divisional opponents.  If this were non-divisional game I think it could be considered a "trap game", but I do not see it since it is the Vikings.

That said, I think this game will be close, Vikings have some good young talent on defense (Floyd, Barr, Smith, Rhodes)...   Packers are on the road where they are 2-3.  This may be their Super Bowl for them.

Packers 24-20

Big mystery for me regarding Vikings is Kahil... what happened to him this year?

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
Packers have always emphasized divisional game under MM... he has great record vs the 3 divisional opponents.  If this were non-divisional game I think it could be considered a "trap game", but I do not see it since it is the Vikings.

That said, I think this game will be close, Vikings have some good young talent on defense (Floyd, Barr, Smith, Rhodes)...   Packers are on the road where they are 2-3.  This may be their Super Bowl for them.

Packers 24-20

Big mystery for me regarding Vikings is Kahil... what happened to him this year?

The two road losses were to Seattle in the opener, when the 'Hawks were sky high after getting their SB recognition. Plus Seattle is a very difficult venue, and the Packers the last few years have gotten off to relatively slow starts, for some reason. Their second was against Detroit, when the offense was AWOL as the OL wasn't up to snuff (again, a slow start that has since been corrected). The third game, in NO, was heading for a shootout when AR tweaked his hamstring, and wasn't the same player at all, throwing two of his three interceptions in that game AFTER he was injured.

All that written, this should be a close game. Simply because its the Vikings, divisional rivals, and this team is going to be playing for pride and bragging rights. The first few series the Packers have the ball will be interesting- because if they sputter and start having drives stall rather than finishing them, it could be a long afternoon, because any success the Vikings experience will fuel their energy levels.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »
Unless the Packer offense completely falls off the field, I don't see the Vikings as having anything close to challenge us. Even if they are a division rival. MM will want this win badly, even if he publicly says it doesn't matter. I'm sure he'll get it.

Packers: 45
Vikings: 9

I heard Greg Jennings has a banged up rib and may/may not play.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Offline Zyvlyn

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 11:18:59 PM »
Minnesota got away from the run last week and paid for it dearly.  They won't make that mistake again.  Despite our apparent defensive improvement, I still think they can have success running on us.  That combined with the fact that the Packers have not been a good road team this year makes this game closer than a lot of people think.

Packers 30 - Vikings 24

I still think we pull it out based on the fact we have Rodgers.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:19:50 PM by Zyvlyn »

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 05:49:23 AM »
Minnesota got away from the run last week and paid for it dearly.  They won't make that mistake again.  Despite our apparent defensive improvement, I still think they can have success running on us.  That combined with the fact that the Packers have not been a good road team this year makes this game closer than a lot of people think.

Packers 30 - Vikings 24

I still think we pull it out based on the fact we have Rodgers.

The Vikings didn't have success running the ball against the Packers in the last game. And at that point, the defense was ranked last in the league in allowing rushing yards. And, the week before the game against the Packers, they'd put up something around 300 yards on the ground.

Meanwhile, their two starting rushers are banged up, and they've signed Ben Tate to try to rejuvenate their running game. We'll see what happens- but in the last game, the Vikings abandoned the run because it wasn't working, and because the Packers had built a large enough lead that they needed to score more often, rather than grinding the ball and eating up the clock.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 07:28:11 AM »
We'll see how the Packers handle their LB situation.  With Perry presumably out, and Elliot, and with Matthews hurt, the defense might not look quite the same with a lot more Jones/Latimore/Barrington sharing snaps.  But if Mathews is relatively unlimited, I think we'll get a lot of run stops.  Sure, they might get some effective runs.  But we'll control a whole lot of runs, so if they want to commit to the runs, that's going to enable Capers to have a bunch of 3rd downs. 

Their offense is just very limited.  They'll get some first downs and get some points, no question.  And their blitz package will get some stops, no question there either. 

But, I just don't think their limited offense is going to be able to convert often enough.  And I don't think their defense is going to get to Rodgers consistently enough to stop us often enough. 

This sets up about as favorably as a road game can. 

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 07:51:02 AM »
If the packer defense is missing two or three players from their linebacker rotation, it will greatly affect not only the defensive rotations and sub-packages, but also the special teams. LBs and TEs are the core of our special teams units.

I expect this game to be close, and would not be all that surprised to see the Vikings win, especially after what happened in Oakland on Thursday night.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 07:57:47 AM »
If the packer defense is missing two or three players from their linebacker rotation, it will greatly affect not only the defensive rotations and sub-packages, but also the special teams. LBs and TEs are the core of our special teams units.

I expect this game to be close, and would not be all that surprised to see the Vikings win, especially after what happened in Oakland on Thursday night.

The problem for KC is who they have under center.   ;)  Smith is not in the same class as Rodgers and I thank heaven SF took him instead of our AR.   :)  I don't think it will be a blowout either but unless we turn the ball over a couple of times or play sloppy with penalties I don't know if MN can pull the upset Oakland did on Thursday.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »
HUGE game, with significant divisional and playoff implications.

I expect a Packer victory, but "any given Sunday" and "throw out the books on division rivalry games" are popular adages for a reason.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online B

• HOF Member
Today's captains are...
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
Today’s captains are:

Offense: Josh Sitton G
Defense: Letroy Guion DT
Special Teams: Brad Jones.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online cheech

• HOF Member
Re: Today's captains are...
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »
Raise your hand if you would have picked these after week 1.   hysterical
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »
Perry is out:

Inactives

Green Bay PackersGreen Bay Packers
16 QB Scott Tolzien
24 CB Jarrett Bush
53 LB Nick Perry
54 LB Carl Bradford
72 C Garth Gerhart
83 WR Jeff Janis
86 TE Brandon Bostick

Minnesota Vikings
44 RB Matt Asiata
48 FB Zach Line
56 LB Mike Mauti
58 LB Brandon Watts
66 G David Yankey
72 G Austin Wentworth
73 DT Sharrif Floyd

Offline BobW

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
Packers inactives: QB Scott Tolzien CB Jarrett Bush LB Nick Perry LB Carl Bradford C Garth Gerhart WR Jeff Janis TE Brandon Bostick