November 23, 2017, 12:18:33 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Patriots v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 28858 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Patriots v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
A bit early, but it seems this game has a lot of interest. A Packer win would be great, but not that important in the larger scheme of things. The Thursday game of Bears vs. Lions is much more important to the Packers chances of winning the division. However, the symbolic importance of this game are extremely important. The Patriots are elite, and have been for years. And, as Ric Flair repeatedly said, "To be the man, you have to beat the man." What to expect? The Packers could very well come out "tight" and not play well until they settle down. We'll see.

And what about Gronk?

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/11/24/how-packers-stop-gronkowski/70066376/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:50:23 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Patriots v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
From the Pats point of view "What about the Packers, their QB, their WRs, their RB"? Not an easy game for them. I predict the Packers get to Brady more than the Pats get to A.Rodgers.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
division. However, the symbolic importance of this game are extremely important. The Patriots are elite, and have

Yes, one could argue are Rodgers-less near victory in Foxborough 4 years ago is what gave us the confidence to go start our Super Bowl run.  I don't think we would be helped by moral victories this week.  A win may boast confidence while a loss could leave everyone thinking: same old, same old, can't beat the good teams, yadda, yadda....

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »
A bit early, but it seems this game has a lot of interest. A Packer win would be great, but not that important in the larger scheme of things. The Thursday game of Bears vs. Lions is much more important to the Packers chances of winning the division. However, the symbolic importance of this game are extremely important. The Patriots are elite, and have been for years. And, as Ric Flair repeatedly said, "To be the man, you have to beat the man." What to expect? The Packers could very well come out "tight" and not play well until they settle down. We'll see.

And what about Gronk?

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2014/11/24/how-packers-stop-gronkowski/70066376/

The closest thing we have come to Gronk was Jimmy Graham (NO). Graham literally played with one arm and still caught 5-6, 59 yards and 1 TD. I expect Gronk to have his usual day and we will struggle to contain him. It really won't matter who covers him. On Graham, we tried CB's, S's and ILB's.  IMO, the key to this game will lie in getting to Tom Brady and making him very uncomfortable in the pocket. Make him throw quick and get some batted passes. Our offense scoring a lot won't hurt the cause either.

New England is the best team we will face all year and we very well could see them again. The team as a whole (Offense/Defense/Special Teams/Coaching) will need to play like Champions.
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” -V. Lombardi

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »
I have no idea how the game will go.  I don't know New England's vulnerabilities, if any.  brady is not a scrambler, so that's helpful for our defense.  They had the big running game vs Indy, but normally have not had a big running game.  Hopefully they'll try to run enough and we'll stop enough to get to a reasonable number of 3rd downs, and we'll get an occasional stop. 

Brady is really sharp, but even good QB's miss sometimes.  I'm hoping he has a couple of passes that miss, and result in punts or turnovers. 

My expectation is that we'll get beat, that our defense will be exposed and we won't be able to keep up. 

I wonder if there's any chance that Perry will be both back and effective?  I think he's very important in collapsing and sealing the running game inside, when he's healthy.  I also wonder if Matthews is able to get a little healthier and free-er game by game, or if it gets a little worse game by game?  Same for Sitton and Lang, perhaps it just gets a little worse each weak?   

It would sure be fun to win.  A win without new injuries would boost our prospects a lot. 

Offline Tony

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
Man, what a game this should be.  Some are saying this could be a possible preview of the Super Bowl, as both teams have a very good chance at getting there.  Still too early IMO to be going there, but it does underscore the magnitude of this game.

On paper, the Patriots have more skilled players - especially on defense.  GB's receivers are going to have less room than they've had all season, which may not bode well.  What gives GB a fighting chance is home field advantage, which they've proven all season is a big upside.  I can't predict this score, but I hope it's close and GB pulls it out!

“There’s a man going round, taking names, and he decides who to free and who to blame!”  LMG ala Johnny Cash

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
New England is the best team we will face all year and we very well could see them again. The team as a whole (Offense/Defense/Special Teams/Coaching) will need to play like Champions.

Isn't that what we said before the Seattle game? And after the loss, and then barely beating the Jets and the loss in Detroit, it was doom and gloom, and, as usual, the answer was to fire someone. Now, the Packers have played better, but as mikebpackfan wrote, if the Packers lose, the doubters will be back in force. Winning would be great, but I still maintain the Thursday Bears/Lions game is much more important as to whether the Packers win the division. Still, a Bears and Packers victory would be really, really sweet. Let the road to the SB in the NFC go through Lambeau!

Offline calipackfan

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
I booked this game 5 months ago with my pat fan inlaws.....  never thought it would be such a huge matchup but couldnt ask for a better game to travel 2200 miles for!
   thumbsup)

Offline EXIT_HERE

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »
I can't remember the last time I felt as bad about a game as I do about this upcoming game. If the D plays like they played against the vikings we are looking at getting ran out of our own building.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
I can't remember the last time I felt as bad about a game as I do about this upcoming game. If the D plays like they played against the vikings we are looking at getting ran out of our own building.

Breath brother... enjoy the journey... being a Packer fan shouldn't leave one feeling bad.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Stic56

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »
IMHO If we don't win out the next five games it will be one and out in the playoffs.
I don't want to be negative but from here on out any loss is a bad loss.
Tough to win em all I know.
But its what brings greatness remembered for decades.
Are the Packers up to the challenge? We shall soon see.
The Packers especially this year need Home Field advantage.
Except for the bears game weve been pretty much awful on the road.
Speaking of the bears. For me winning those two games each year means you get another shot to prove how good you are.
Makes my whole season anything more is just the gravy.
Ive hated the bears for 58 years.
And I never R-E-L-A-X its not in the DNA or nurture.
 I just want to beat NE to prove to the world that we can. Sorry I mean that the Packers can.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
I look for Rodgers to be in panic mode for parts of this game, happy feet, holding onto the ball to long while his primary receivers are covered.  Lacy/Starks are the key to ball control  and keeping our defense off the field.

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »
Packers 35

Patriots 31

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
I look for Rodgers to be in panic mode for parts of this game, happy feet, holding onto the ball to long while his primary receivers are covered.  Lacy/Starks are the key to ball control  and keeping our defense off the field.

Hey, give the guy a break! Richard Rodgers is only a rookie! But why would he be looking for receivers?  And why would his holding onto the ball rather than fumbling be a bad thing? ???

maxman44

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
I have a good feeling about this one...Statement Game!