November 22, 2017, 10:32:29 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Patriots v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 28805 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Patriots v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 07:34:50 AM »
I have a good feeling about this one...Statement Game!

Exactly. for some reason, I'm getting more excited and more confident as game day approaches. There is a vibe that is similar to the Houston game a few years ago, when the Packers were not playing all that well, Houston was undefeated, and it was an away game. AR threw (5? 6?) TD's in a rout. Asked about the doubters, his response was a finger to the lips and "Shhhhh...".

This year the message, delivered earlier, was R-E-L-A-X. In TT, MM and AR I trust. To those who see this as looking through green and gold goggles, fine. But, when the team or a player is not doing well, I'm more than willing to criticize. But couldn't concentrating on the negatives be seen as seeing the Packers through gloom and doom goggles? Healthy criticism is welcome. But relentless negativity gets a bit wearing. As does unwarranted optimism.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline ammek

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »
This should be a good game between two very good teams. Looking at New England's stats, they are remarkably similar to the Packers in many ways, sometimes down to multiple decimal places. For instance, both GB's and NE's running backs are averaging 4.11 yards per carry. The Pats' run defense is giving up five-thousandths of a yard less than the Pack's. On both sides of the ball, the shape of those runs is alike, too: lots of 3-5 yard gains, not many long bursts, not much success in short-yardage situations. On pass offense, the two teams reach similar ends by quite different means. The Patriots are methodical, the Packers explosive. To win, Green Bay probably needs big plays and takeaways more than New England does.

There are a couple of matchups which seem to favor New England. The Patriots are very good at covering #1 and #2 receivers (as you'd expect with their starting corners). Their weakness in pass defense is against tight ends, where they're giving up a league-high 73 yards per game. I'm not sure the Packers have the personnel to exploit that, but it might be worth sending Quarless downfield early in the game to see how (well) he is covered.

On special teams, the Patriots are very competent as usual across the board. They're best in the league on field goals and kickoffs/coverage, and third on punt returns. Again, the Packers will probably need to force turnovers in order to gain superior field position.

It's skewed by the blowouts, but the Packers' fourth-quarter defense hasn't been good this season (or ever, so it seems). Brady is of course the best there is in the two-/four-minute offense. If it's that close, the edge would appear to be with New England.

A Packer win would be great, but not that important in the larger scheme of things.

I'm not sure I agree. With the Packers' home/road splits as they are, it's vital to get as many home games as possible in the postseason. I think there's a fair chance that Arizona a) gets the #1 seed, and b) loses its playoff opener to Dallas/SF/whoever. So the #2 seed seems unusually well-positioned for several reasons: it doesn't have to play Dallas/SF/whoever in the wildcard round; it might well get to host the winner of the NFC South in the divisional round (as #2 seed Chicago hosted the 7-9 Seahawks in 2010); and with such a flawed top seed as Arizona, it's more likely than usual to host the championship game. That's getting too far ahead. But every win improves the Packer's postseason chances.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »

Exactly. for some reason, I'm getting more excited and more confident as game day approaches. There is a vibe that is similar to the Houston game a few years ago, when the Packers were not playing all that well, Houston was undefeated, and it was an away game. AR threw (5? 6?) TD's in a rout. Asked about the doubters, his response was a finger to the lips and "Shhhhh...".

This year the message, delivered earlier, was R-E-L-A-X. In TT, MM and AR I trust. To those who see this as looking through green and gold goggles, fine. But, when the team or a player is not doing well, I'm more than willing to criticize. But couldn't concentrating on the negatives be seen as seeing the Packers through gloom and doom goggles? Healthy criticism is welcome. But relentless negativity gets a bit wearing. As does unwarranted optimism.

Good post!

A lot of things to like for the Packers this game... One thing is the Nelson/Cobb - Browner/Revis matchups.

Browner and Revis have been excellent for the Patriots and I've seen analysis that they will give Nelson and Cobb problems. I like Nelson and Cobb in the matchup... Browner is a slower CB, Jordy is gonna like that. Slot receivers with Cobb's skillset have given Revis trouble in the past.

I also like the Packers pass rush on Sunday. Miami and KC got after Brady and he didn't perform.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
The closest thing we have come to Gronk was Jimmy Graham (NO). Graham literally played with one arm and still caught 5-6, 59 yards and 1 TD. I expect Gronk to have his usual day and we will struggle to contain him.

Yeah, this is a concern.

Other TE's have had good games against the Packers this year as well.

What the Packers have going for them is their talent and performance of their safeties is exponentially better than has been the past few seasons. Hopefully this shows on Sunday.

Offline Stic56

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 12:30:11 PM »
Well Donzo I went back and read the analysis including the Good bad and the ugly here. In fact if Philibin wasn't an inferior coach we would have lost that game. The below is just one snippet and one of the kinder ones at that. As for the personal attack it will be handled. And going over your other posts these unwarranted attacks seem to be your MO.:

Bad
+2nd half defense
+ Bulaga
+ Run offense for the most part
+ Clay vs read option
+ Brad Jones... vs run and pass

Ugly
+ blocked punt and kickoff coverage at times

I would put Clay vs read option in the ugly category. He looks completly lost when they read him.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
Tangent:  Bulaga has looked pretty decent since Miami.  Relief.   

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
I have a good feeling about this one...Statement Game!

Not me.  The closer the game gets the more I worry.  Maybe I'm reading FF too much...    :-\

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »
Edge rusher Chandler Jones participated in the walk through for the Patriots today. Whether he's in the lineup or not will be huge in my opinion.

Brandon LaFell, Dan Connolly, and Kyle Arrington all may be a little banged up. No word on any of their practice status though.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
I pulled this off of Demovsky's Wednesday Blog :

Packers' T.J. Lang back on sideline with ankle injury
November, 26, 2014
NOV 26
2:00
PM ET
By Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com
44COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- T.J. Lang was either trying to keep the New England Patriots guessing or he was just trying to be funny, but the Green Bay Packers right guard had a towel draped over his head during Wednesday's practice as he rode a stationary bike.

It was probably the latter.

Lang aggravated his sprained left ankle in Sunday's 24-21 win over the Minnesota Vikings. Although he finished the game after missing just one series, he said afterward that he was hurting. Lang has not been practicing at all on Wednesdays since he first sustained the injury Oct. 26 against the New Orleans Saints.

But fellow starting guard Josh Sitton, who has been on a similar schedule following his toe injury against the Saints, was back on the field.

So was running back Eddie Lacy, who was battling a stomach illness during the Vikings game.

Tight end Brandon Bostick (hip) also returned to practice after missing the last two games.

The only other players not practicing Wednesday were cornerback Jarrett Bush (groin) and outside linebacker Nick Perry (shoulder). Neither played against Minnesota.

The full injury report will be available after practice.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »
There was a lot of hand-wringing leading up to the Eagles game, just as there is a lot of hand-wringing leading up to the Pats game

The Eagles were a quality/winning record team and GB plays poorly against good teams.............
The Eagles RB's were going to run all over GB...............
The Eagles DL was going to put lots of pressure on AR and sack him a lot.............
The Eagles were going to...........
The Eagles were going to............
The Eagles were going to............

If all the hand-wringing going on this week ends up like the hand-wringing that went on during Eagles week, then I'll be very happy come Sunday evening!!

;D

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
New England is good. But, we are too. They have weaknesses we do as well. We have strengths as they do. It comes down to execution.
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 08:00:26 AM »
New England is good. But, we are too. They have weaknesses we do as well. We have strengths as they do. It comes down to execution.

OK. I'll bite. Who do we need to execute to win the game?

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
As usual, turnovers will be key.  A pair of untimely turnovers killed us in New Orleans, let's not have that again.  I don't foresee Brady getting silly with the football, so lets hope for some fumbles from the running backs.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »

OK. I'll bite. Who do we need to execute to win the game?

Doesn't execute the game plan sum it up Ricky?
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=17791&is_corp=1

From Wilde at ESPN Milwaukee. This game seems to be shaping up as a shootout- I don't believe either team's defense will be able to consistently stop the other team's offense. The NFL, which has been promoting offensive play at the expense of defense should be ecstatic. The total final points for both teams should be somewhere in the 70's to '80's.