September 24, 2017, 07:14:07 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Atlanta v Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 20937 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Atlanta v Packers Game Day Thread
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »
This is definitely not a "gimme" game. For an excellent post on the pitfalls of the game, see Alden Roche's post "Concerns for Atlanta game" in the R&R section- though it belongs here, IMO. Anyway, the Packers are at home, AR has been great, the team seems to be gelling and getting better- and this game deeply concerns me. Dusting off that hoary classic, the "trap game"- last time, it was Minny, and that was a close game. Expect the same thing Monday.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:49:12 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Atlanta v Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »
They won't get us in Lambeau. IMO, this should be a pretty good game for the Packers.

Packers: 38
Falcons: 20

The Falcons don't have a good defensive backfield or a good pass rush. This should pretty much conclude their day as I expect Rodgers to put on a clinic. Rodgers could throw 6 TD's against these guys. The Packers pass rush, on the other hand, should have a good day against either of their Tackles. Especially LT, Jake Matthews. He has already given up 6 sacks and Daniels should be able to exploit him in all phases of the game.

Honestly, we just have too much "star power" for the Falcons to overcome. It's not a short week, it's at home, it's in the elements against a dome team. I don't see this as a trap game.

I will also be rooting for Philly and Tampa Bay. Hopefully they can secure wins and help us extend our lead. If not, we are still in the drivers seat.
ďItís not whether you get knocked down, itís whether you get up.Ē -V. Lombardi

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
Atlanta could easily have a 5 game win streak if not for some blunders vs Lions and Browns, cannot take this team lightly.

Rodgers and offense are on a role, will be a lot of pressure on Ryan to keep up...  fact that it is at Lambeau vs Dome team have to really like the Packers chances in this game.

Clay gets to see his cousin after seeing his brother vs Philly.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:05 AM »
This is the NFL, where no team can be taken lightly. There is nothing in this team ('14 Packers) that indicates it takes any team lightly. This is an important conference game that the Packers need to win and put in the bank in their race for their 4th straight division title and home field in the playoffs.

Looking objectively at the two rosters their is no reason not to expect the Packers to spank the Falcons at Lambeau - weak secondary, little to no pass rush, and a suspect offensive line. I expect the Packers to light them up, but I for one never forget the first sentence of this post, and I suspect MM, Dom and staff do not either.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
Best the Pack erase images of Patriots dancing in their heads - quit looking in the rear view mirror and look ahead:

Arians / AZ: 

"We had a great week of practice. I thought we knew what was at stake but we didn't go out with the passion or energy we needed to win."

Arians said he warned his players not to pay attention to Atlanta's 4-7 record heading into the game, but on Monday he felt some of them fell into that trap. He told them they would get Atlanta's "best shot."

They did, as the Falcons finished with 500 total yards.

Add on:

Even though the Cardinals had a "great" practice last Wednesday and Arians was "more than pleased" with Thursday's and Friday's sessions, they still committed the most mental errors of the season on Sunday, he said.

"We've been terrible on offensive third down and defensive third down," Arians said. "The things that were the strength of our football team getting to 9-1 all of a sudden became a weakness."

That my friends is what equates into a step slow and beat too late results. The Pack need to wipe the slate clean - then wipe ATL off the field. They will come chucking the ball - regardless of temperature - and we need to be there. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:03:35 AM by Leader »

Offline Stic56

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »
I expect a reversion this week from a lot of 3-4 back to mostly Nickel and Dime defenses making Atlanta beat us on the ground ie Jackson. IMHO it cant be done especially if we jump out to a quick lead.

Last week the Packers took away NE WRs easily for the most part and inside running game and most of the inside passing game. Making them beat us to the outside both passing(mostly Gronk) and rushing. Almost worked because of some poor OLB play and our lack of scoring in the red zone.

We shouldnt see those scenarios this week.

Atlanta has tougher receivers than NE(especially if Roddy White is back) I expect far more Nickle and Dime than 3-4. This should also be a stand out game inside by Matthews and Barrington. I expect to see more Hayward in nickel or on the field period.. I don't expect to see much of Hawk unless Barrington fails, injuries or garbage time.  And I expect some more experimentation with Matthews. I am wary of a Big Win letdown but am hoping the Packers don't come out flat. I believe the Packers are focused on this game and neither looking forward or back.  Its not a trap game that we save for TB.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
The Green Bay Packers with the leagues best QB and the hottest offense in the NFL (especially at home) and are facing the 32 ranked defense in the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field.

I agree Stic56 about making Atlanta try to beat the Packers running the ball, here is something to consider:

The Packersí defense has held starting quarterback to a passer rating below 85.0 nine (9) times this season:

~ NYJ-Geno Smith, 64.1
 ~ DET-Matthew Stafford, 61.6
 ~ CHI-Jay Cutler, 82.5
 ~ MIN-Christian Ponder, 45.8
 ~ MIA-Ryan Tannehill, 81.5 
 ~ CAR-Cam Newton, 72.6
  ~ CHI-Jay Cutler, 68.8
 ~ PHI-Mark Sanchez, 80.3
 ~ MIN-Teddy Bridgewater, 79.8 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:46:55 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »
I like that the game is on MNF - which I think will help keep the Packers focus. I'd be real surprised to see GB lay an egg in this regular season game when the entire nation is watching.
ATL's got a number of perceived issues - but I respect the potentials of Jones, Douglas & White. Thats a group (that I believe is fully healthy) that can move the chains. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
I like that the game is on MNF - which I think will help keep the Packers focus. I'd be real surprised to see GB lay an egg in this regular season game when the entire nation is watching.
ATL's got a number of perceived issues - but I respect the potentials of Jones, Douglas & White. Thats a group (that I believe is fully healthy) that can move the chains.

Atlanta is a hot and cold team, literally,   I dont see them as a cold weather team, I like our chances against them, we still have to go out and do it though.

Offline favre_4_ever

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
Roddy white didn't play last week, although he is expected to suit up on monday

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
Roddy white didn't play last week, although he is expected to suit up on monday

Thats a good get - I'd not note that.
Be nice if he couldn't go in Week 14. Would help our coverages.

Offline Stic56

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »
B better to consider who we didn't hold below 85 Wilson, Brees and Brady. All household names which none of the others  are. Is Ryan? He has had some success.

Testing by Atlanta with three top receivers and an older but still top RB should tell us something important.

What I love most is Cutlers 82.5 when he surrendered at home with 5 minutes left in the game or it would have been much lower. We had no business losing in Detroit that's the travesty game. NO outcoached. NE well its likely we will disagree on that. Seattle was predictable as much as I had hoped for a different outcome.

Nonetheless looking forward to beating Atlanta by whatever means necessary.

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »
Packers 28

Falcons 23

Offline jthiel86

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 02:13:43 AM »
I'm going to this game! So I'm hoping for a big win! I do suspect this game will be closer than we want it to be though.
If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »
IMO if we play our game and not screw up with turnovers and penalties Atlanta will be hard pressed to come out with a W on Monday night.