September 23, 2017, 07:48:07 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bills Game Day Thread  (Read 35406 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Packers v Bills Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »
BUF is a top five D in all categories except against the rush - where they're #8 - so they've got the skills - and top ranking teams have beaten them albeit not in blowout fashion. They're averaging under 20pts per game on defense.

Lacy's gotta be healthy and a factor cause minus a running game, their DL will just blow off the ball and make things difficult for AR. The check downs seen vs ATL could be a big factor in this game as well. Both to move the ball as well to keep AR healthy.

Denver just turned the ball over 3 times - was up 24-3 in the forth using a very balanced offense. More running than we're accustomed to seeing from them.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:36:32 AM by Leader »

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:35 AM »
This game sounds like a chance to see how the Packers would match up with Seattle in Seattle. Not exactly the same- but similar: very good defense, an offense that can play well enough to put up some points, and a very hostile atmosphere.

All similarities between Buffalo and Seattle end on the defensive side of ball IMO.  Their defense will present very good test for Packers offense.

Seattle averages 170 yards rushing/game, Buffalo 96 yards rushing/game, Buffalo has no one that can pound the ball and break tackles like Lynch.  Wilson can extend plays and scramble, Orton is a pocket passer.  I do not see any similarities between their offenses... Buffalo is not very good offensive team, Seattle has respectable offense thanks to their running game and Wilson at QB.

Always more difficult to play on the road, but Buffalo is only 8-7 at home the past 2 years... so not one of the more difficult place to go in and get a win.  Vikings should have won their this year.

Offline LaSeeno

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
I don't think MM would ever do it but an opening half featuring designed AROD rollouts mixed in with a heavy dose of Lacy and Starks would, IMO, open up this game for quite the offensive showing.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
I think our offensive line play is the key to the game.  If they can continue the way they have since the Philly game, against this very good DL, then we will win easily.  If the OL doesn't hold up, then this could be a long and difficult game.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
Offensive game plan needs to be just like the one against ATL. Quick reads and short dump passes and screens. Saw more of that in one game against ATL then all year so far. Worked like a charm and opened things up for when we needed a bigger play. That strategy is what you need against a team who can get to your QB without bringing extra guys.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
I think our offensive line play is the key to the game.

I think this is accurate.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
Offensive game plan needs to be just like the one against ATL. Quick reads and short dump passes and screens. Saw more of that in one game against ATL then all year so far. Worked like a charm and opened things up for when we needed a bigger play. That strategy is what you need against a team who can get to your QB without bringing extra guys.

This post mirrors my recent thoughts exactly. Also, Hincha, you're right- after further consideration, defense and atmosphere are the strongest similarities. Good catch, Jordy. But another concern are going to be the tackles. Does anyone know if the Bills DL lined up against Bakhtiari and Bulaga are speed rushers? Because those two have had problems in that area in the past.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
This post mirrors my recent thoughts exactly. Also, Hincha, you're right- after further consideration, defense and atmosphere are the strongest similarities. Good catch, Jordy. But another concern are going to be the tackles. Does anyone know if the Bills DL lined up against Bakhtiari and Bulaga are speed rushers? Because those two have had problems in that area in the past.

I believe Mario Williams will be going after Bahktiari, and I suspect he is still pretty fast.  12 sacks this year, so he has more than just speed.

On the other side is Jerry Hughes at 9.5 sacks.  I don't follow the Bills, so I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking Bulaga will do OK with him.

Good challenge for both tackles.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »
I think our offensive line play is the key to the game.

I think this is accurate.

Agreed. They have come a long way since opening up against some tough defensive fronts at the beginning of the season. This could be a very good measuring stick.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
Should be a tough, fun game.   In addition to our offensive line, the other key I see is our defensive pass rush.  Ryan had a lot of time Monday, and Brady usually had pretty good time too, only once sacked at the very end.  I think Capers needs to rip the blitz more in Buffalo than he did versus Ryan and Jones. 

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »

I know at least Mario Williams will be lining up against one of them, and if its Baktiari, he has struggled quite a bit with better pass rushers so hopefully Lacy will be there to help chip and negate that rush. Not sure how well their other edge rusher will fair but if history says anything they will get a few clean shots at Arod.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Greg C

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 06:03:29 AM »
Should be a tough, fun game.   In addition to our offensive line, the other key I see is our defensive pass rush.  Ryan had a lot of time Monday, and Brady usually had pretty good time too, only once sacked at the very end.  I think Capers needs to rip the blitz more in Buffalo than he did versus Ryan and Jones.
I thought the pass rush was pretty good against the Patriots, in spite of having only one sack. Brady was not standing back there patting the ball with his left hand like he does when he has good protection. He was continually being forced off his spot and was not able to get into a rhythm. I would take that kind of pass rush against Orton any day.

Buffalo's O-line is not strong so Capers might want to see how a four-man rush works before going into any heavy blitzing.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »
I thought the pass rush was pretty good against the Patriots, in spite of having only one sack. Brady was not standing back there patting the ball with his left hand like he does when he has good protection. He was continually being forced off his spot and was not able to get into a rhythm. I would take that kind of pass rush against Orton any day.

I agree... may not have had the sacks, but Brady was throwing the ball before he wanted to throw it and why several of the throws were well off target or into the ground (to avoid interceptions and sacks IMO).

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
Not looking good for Lacy this weekend - still not practicing.  Combine that with his comments about not playing if it hurts the team...Probably good Starks looked fresh last weekend...

Take that back...Listed as probable...Interesting.  Worst part is I have him in fantasy...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:03:49 PM by MNPack12 »

Offline favre_4_ever

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »
Lacy is probable?