November 23, 2017, 12:15:34 PM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Cowboys v Packers Playoff Game Day Thread  (Read 29750 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Cowboys v Packers Playoff Game Day Thread
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:48:10 AM »
Well, its time put up or shut up. Win or go home. Because a loss means a long time to consider "what if"; a long time to think of all the lost opportunities, the small things that could have made a difference. Win, and they don't matter. Lose, and they'll haunt you.

This is going to be a tough, tough game. Murray is the real deal at RB; Bryant is a big, physical WR; Witten is that steady, third down converting TE; the Dallas defense is fast and physical. Also, the Cowboys seem to thrive on the road.

On the other hand, the Packers have been unbeatable at home. And their offense is formidable, while the defense seems to be peaking at the right tme. So, hopefully, it won't come down to some very, very questionable ref's decisions, as it did in the Dallas/Lions game.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Cowboys v Packers Playoff Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »

Wouldn't be haunted. There'd be reasons for a loss. Recognize them and improve. Everybody but CINN has the game plan down pat.

DAL is feeling it a bit and brings their offensive capability to Lambeau.

AR's gotta get and stay healthy - which wont be easy at predicted temps. Muscle pulls at 16 degrees F can be tricky indeed.
We can toast their Dbacks - but not if we lose AR or he's continually stuck inside a collapsing pocket.
Matt cant/wouldn't beat this DAL crew. Not this year.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
With Ricky's weekly Game Day thread now up we'll use it on Sunday for Game Day talk.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline Ron836

• Second String
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
Cowboys 27

Packers 33

Offline MNPack12

• All Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
Just posted in the other thread, but Dallas has a lot of injury concerns right now:

Doug Free missed the game, looks like he could miss this upcoming Sunday, too.
McClain has concussion symptoms this AM.
Bruce Carter left the game yesterday - Arguably their best defender.

We are healthy, at home, and are statistically better (IMO, just plain better) defensively. 

AR > Romo.

It would be a massive disappointment if we don't win this game. 

Biggest question for me is where do you play Clay? ILB to slow Murray, or OLB to get after Romo?  Detroit brought great pressure with 4 and rattled Romo...They got cute with their O in the second half and blew the game - 3 points over 45 mins against DAL?

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
I'll be curious to see how they officiate this game.  If they let the holding go like they did in the 4th quarter vs. the Lions it could be a lot closer than we are all hoping. 

My keys to the game:
1. Tackle the damn ball carrier.  Detroit wins that game if they don't miss 2 tackles.  Murray will punish you if you let him get to the second level.
2. Pressure Romo.
3. Double Dez.
4. YAC the hell out of this Dallas defense.  Crossing routes will be there all day vs. this secondary. 
5. Don't turn the ball over. 

What I'd like to see defensively:
1. 3-4 base defense with Clay and Sam at ILB, Peppers and Perry at OLB.  Stop 'em early on first and second.
2. Bracket Dez.  Romo will force a throw or three.  Get inside Dez's head.
3. Trail technique on Witten.  If you let him run at you in zone and turn around Romo will hit him 10/10 times.  Make Romo throw it over your head.  Witten isn't running away from ANYONE. 
4. Mix up zone and man in the secondary.  Again - Romo will give us the ball if we don't make it obvious. 

What I'd like to see offensively:
1. A 60-40 mix of Lacy and Starks.  Starks could take one to the house vs. this defense.  Their safeties take terrible angles. 
2. Have sustained drives.  Get that Cowboys defense tired and give ours a break.  Detroit did run out of gas in the 4th because their offense struggled to maintain possession in the second half.  Run the ball on first and second down. 
3. Make a commitment in the red zone.  If its first and goal at the 5, run it 3-4 times with Lacy.  Keep Lacy in the damn backfield, too.  Make them respect the draw in the RZ. 
4. Rodgers needs to have a Rodgers game.  He's been off the last few playoff games.  He needs to be at his best. 
5. Ditch the WR screen.  Detroit's secondary can run and tackle.  They struggle to maintain coverage.  Don't play to their strengths. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • Where are we?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:36:50 PM »
OK I'll say it.

I predict the Pack wins in a blowout!!!

There, I said it and....

IMHO of course.

twocents)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:37:35 PM by LMGAdmin »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »
Hell yah LMG...like your thinking.

See the Pack jumping out to an early lead.

Cowboys have a some fight.

1st Qtr   Pack 10  Boys 3
2nd Qtr  Pack 17 Boys 6
3rd Qtr  Pack 24 Boys 13

Final Score Pack 27 Boys 20.

Cowboys get a late touchdown in garbage time.  Attempt an onside kick and don't recover.  Game over.

Offline ptisme

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »
OK I'll say it.

I predict the Pack wins in a blowout!!!

There, I said it and....

IMHO of course.

twocents)
excellent post!  This is the kind of game where you just keep feeding the ball to Lacy...  I'm concerned about our defense handling that running game...

Offline Brandon2348

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:23 PM »
Just posted in the other thread, but Dallas has a lot of injury concerns right now:

Doug Free missed the game, looks like he could miss this upcoming Sunday, too.
McClain has concussion symptoms this AM.
Bruce Carter left the game yesterday - Arguably their best defender.

We are healthy, at home, and are statistically better (IMO, just plain better) defensively. 

AR > Romo.

It would be a massive disappointment if we don't win this game. 

Biggest question for me is where do you play Clay? ILB to slow Murray, or OLB to get after Romo?  Detroit brought great pressure with 4 and rattled Romo...They got cute with their O in the second half and blew the game - 3 points over 45 mins against DAL?

I think you put Clay in the middle early in the game and do what you have to do to slow Dallas run down.  If we can jump out on them on the scoreboard then move him back outside. Murray with his broken hand isn't the same threat as he was in the passing game.  I would also like them to force Romo to throw the ball down field in the cold weather. Not sure Romo has the arm strength any longer to pull it off.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:00:47 AM by Brandon2348 »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:28 AM »
I think weather conditions will play a large role in the games outcome.
Believe we'll see a repeat of our last game and Lacy will be bouncing off / busting up DAL defenders as much as possible. Agree with his comment that players "back down" hitting / tackling him when its cold. I felt SF did just that in last years playoff game - first time I'd seen them actually be reluctant on D with a "you take him......no, you first" reluctance. Hope to see that again.

Pass & catch is more difficult in seriously cold temps for a number of reasons - but (at minimum) our WR's/TE's need to SNAG whatever comes their way - before YAC considerations. Our passing offense probably wont be as prolific because of the weather - we need to keep moving the chains and dropped passes wont do that. Like to imagine some wide open passing plays - but wonder if conditions will allow it - plus AR will need to get rid of the ball with some speed because of his immobility. 

Be interested to know if Murray's "left / right" tendencies have been affected by his hand injury. The tape will tell and I'd imagine Capers has done the count. I'm unsure which hand is injured - think it the left (?) but he's carrying the ball "one sided" (i.e. with on his "uninjured" side)- which should increase opportunities to knock the ball free - especially in extreme cold.   

I'm expecting a tight game and not one with killer high scoring by either team. Not some 10-3 thing - but 21-17 ; 24 - 21 -  something in the twenties or below - again, due to temperatures.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.....
CANT happen to us - ESPECIALLY on special teams. No muffed punts or fumbled KR's. Those plays have to be solid.
(I'll admit to smiling a bit when Ross/DET put a KO or PR on the turf last week against DAL. Didn't lose the ball - but applaud his consistency)

We're dead even on interceptions - no spread on forced fumbles. Damn these teams are tight.

Execute, execute, execute.......
Two 12+4 teams - tight in all regards are playing a big game.
The one that executes its gameplan - enforces its will w/o screwing up - will probably win.

We've got to make DAL be the team that screws up.
Romo....Murray....Dez....I cant say which is gonna put the ball on the ground, but we've got to make it happen and cover it when it does.

And dead lastly.....AR's gotta stay healthy.
I've never been to a funeral with 70+thousand attendees - but Lambeau would probably sound like one should Flynn have to come in.

'cuse the language, but kick these f&*%$#'s ass.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:33:47 AM by Leader »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 05:34:40 AM »
GOOOOOOOOD MORNING GREEN BAY WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!

Current temp is 0 with a wind chill of -21 @ 5:30 am

Offline marklawrence

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:38:54 AM »
Unfortunately it's currently forecast to warm on Sunday, with a high of 23.
They say you judge a man by his enemies. Well, I'm Deplorable! And Proud of it!

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
Unfortunately it's currently forecast to warm on Sunday, with a high of 23.

With that sore calf do we really want it below zero? 

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »

It'll be interesting to gauge what effect or how the cold plays into the "Get Loud Lambeau" plan.
I fear that folks all bundled up and subject to extreme cold are less inclined to keep up a constant level of "noise" to distract DAL.