September 23, 2017, 07:47:02 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Cowboys v Packers Playoff Game Day Thread  (Read 26932 times)

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Cowboys v Packers Playoff Game Day Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
Other than concerns with aaron's calf, I think the temp sounds good for us.  We know that the Packers and Rodgers can effectively run their full offense and full passing game at temps in the 20's and teens.  I think we're the better team, and that we've got a really productive offense that can keep the ball moving.  Having weather that doesn't interfere with us doing what we do well is a good thing, I think. 

Perhaps that's also equally true for Dallas, and not having it more impactfully cold is something of a lost advantage.   Perhaps.  But I just think that if we can play our normal offense and play it really well, we can win this game without needing extreme cold as an extra separator.  Second, the fact that our offense can run un-impacted at 15-23 doesn't necessarily mean that the same is true for Romo and Dallas.  Different hands, different grip, different arm strength, different familiarity, and perhaps temperature that doesn't impact our offense at all will compromise there's a little bit.  One dropped pass, one wobbly throw, one deep ball that doesn't go as deep as intended, can swing a game.  So I think the expected temps are really pretty good for us.   

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »

It'll be interesting to gauge what effect or how the cold plays into the "Get Loud Lambeau" plan.
I fear that folks all bundled up and subject to extreme cold are less inclined to keep up a constant level of "noise" to distract DAL.

Bring a damned Radio and turn it up!!!

And... jumping and screaming gets the blood flowing!

GET LOUD LAMBEAU!!!

Hell, I'll do my best to let you hear me from Puerta Vallerta ;) much to the chagrine of the arrogant Cowpoke fans that will be watching the game with me at Steve's
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:15:14 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »
Alright B....dont start yelling yet!  :)

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »
Okay B stop rubbing it in. Wind chills are -28 degrees and going down all night long.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
Cold weather is overrated in these games.  In fact, I'd prefer warmer weather with Rodgers calf in play.  The Packers being at home should serve them very well, and ball control and ball security will be big factors.

I believe time of possession will be critical in this game

Offline R MaN

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »
Rodgers calf is what has me concerned.
As far back as I cam remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:54 PM »
Rodgers calf is what has me concerned.

Same here. And if I'm the Dallas DC, I'd work at stuffing the run, and containing the edges on AR, while blitzing up the middle. Make him move, make him roll out, make him move around, make him prove he can do what make him so excellent. Yes, blitzes ususally play right into AR's strength, but this is a possibly physically limited Rodgers. Test him. See what he's capable of doing.

On the other hand, there are numerous things the Packers can do to offset this plan. So, let the games within The Game begin. Because this is The Game everyone is talking about.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline fondypackfan

• Rookie
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
The amount of success Rogers had in the 2nd half against DET while playing only on one leg makes me optimistic; I can't imagine his calf can be worse than it was at that time and Dallas's defense is certainly weaker than Detroit.

If it is 15-20 degrees out with manageable winds I don't think the weather will alter the game much at all.  Packer players are going to think it is a heat wave after this week.

I really don't have a good feeling about this game.  Not so much that I really fear the Cowboys; but because the playoffs have not been kind to us since the SB run.  Yes this team is different but until they can go out and win a game they are favored in I will remain nervous.

The defense and especially the Run D has played pretty darn well the 2nd half of the season outside of the ATL 2nd half.  Murray will get his yards; just don't let him go off for 130+.  If they can find someone to limit Witten I like that Packer's D chances.

If McClain doesn't play on D for the Cowboys then I think they are in big trouble.  I am confident that Rodgers can beat their secondary; but if McClain isn't in there as a big time run stopper then the advantage tilts even more to the Pack.

I am just hoping and praying this doesn't come down to a last second field goal.  I don't have a whole lot of confidence in that blocking group right now.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »
Turnovers
TD's versus FG's
3rd-down conversions
Pass rush
Unforced errors/drops
Missed tackles

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 02:10:03 PM »
The Packers look healthy going into Sunday. Rodgers, Boyd, House, Sitton, Richardson all limited today but expected to play.

For the Cowboys, Rolando McClain, Doug Free, Anthony Hitchens, Terrell McClain DNP today.

Offline Phishtar

• Second String
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 03:05:29 PM »
What it comes down to was best summed up in an a game recap I read waaaay back about twenty years ago.  The Packers had just lost a tough one to the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving. They got out to a lead but in the second half Emmitt Smith and backup QB Jason Garrett wore down Green Bay and won the game convincingly.  The recap started off something like this.  "Hard work, willpower, and effort can take you a long way in football.  In the Packers case it took them to the second half. And that's when talent took over."  That was a tough pill to swallow because it was true.
Dirty little secret about Rodgers' injury issue is that it will encourage by necessity Lacy and Starks taking on more of the weight on offense, which is exactly what you'd want, even if Rodgers was healthy.  The Cowboys have a high effort, high character defense this year, but it is not a wildly talented group.  There is small likelihood they can pressure Rodgers consistently with only four.  And blitzing Rodgers is like playing Russian Roulette with a loaded gun, so the most likely approach is to play two deep safeties, try to rough up the receivers, and hope you can force the Packers into long drives where you have opportunities to cause turnovers.  But Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over and daring Green Bay to run is actually beneficial to the ailing quarterback.  IMO the Cowboys best bet still puts them at a significant disadvantage as long as Green Bay commits to the run the whole way through.
It's football so anything can happen, but minus anything uncontrollable (bad calls, weird bounces of the football, poorly timed injuries), this comes down to Green Bay's advantage over Dallas's defense being more lopsided than Dallas's advantage over Green Bay's defense.  Packers:  38  Cowboys: 27

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 05:50:49 AM »
I am just hoping and praying this doesn't come down to a last second field goal.  I don't have a whole lot of confidence in that blocking group right now.

Oh, thanks a lot! Now I've got something else to fret about!  :-X
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline ebterp

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
For me its time for this offense to step up and win a playoff football game...although Rodgers won't be 100% this Dallas D is one we should be able to dominate...if the offense can perform and put the pressure on Dallas we should be in good shape.

EB

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 10:59:57 AM »
The Packers look healthy going into Sunday. Rodgers, Boyd, House, Sitton, Richardson all limited today but expected to play.

For the Cowboys, Rolando McClain, Doug Free, Anthony Hitchens, Terrell McClain DNP today.

Both Mincey & McClain have both been cleared to play, after passing concussion protocol, per ESPN Dallas.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:01:45 AM by whiterook87 »
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

AldenRoche

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
Unless Aaron is severely injured the Pack has a big advantage throwing the ball against the Dallas D. I am looking for Jordy, Randall, and ARod to all have big games.

I am also looking for an improved run D as we saw the last half of the season. With Clay and Barrington getting the lion's share of the snaps at ILBer (I hope) and Murray looking beat up at the end of the season, I have genuine hope we can turn Dallas into a one dimensional team -- especially if the passing game puts up some points early.

If we can't throw against Dallas' 26th rated pass D or stop (or at least slow down) the run, we deserve to lose.