November 19, 2017, 08:18:41 AM

Author Topic: Anybody listen to Green and Gold Tolday?  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
Anybody listen to Green and Gold Tolday?
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:46:26 PM »
It's the radio show / podcast hosted by Jason Wilde with sidekick Bill Johnson.

Both are proud non-fans, and never fail to remind the listening audience of that.  The phrase is "they've been neutered as fans".

Johnson, unlike Wilde, relishes dumping on Packers fans for being irrational or stupid in one way or another.  That's his shtick.  There's "play calling guy" or "fire Ted Thompson guy", or "Fire McCarthy guy" or "Hawk is terrible guy" or whatever.  Basically a radio version of some of the moderating tendencies here.  But he's not as bright as the moderators here.

Today he heard a story from Wilde about a conversation Wilde had with a crossing guard.  The crossing guard was deeply upset still about the game, nearly shaking while he told Wilde that changes had to be made.

Personally I have a lot of sympathy for that viewpoint, in light of the historic collapse, an entire team choke.

Johnson had some fun playing tough guy, saying he'd have taken out the guy's Achille's if he'd been there.   Fans who are upset at the loss are so stupid and pathetic, to him.  He actually believes this.

Johnson does so much more harm than good on that radio show.  Just makes losses worse and wins worse for Packers fans.  He needs the money, but I do hope Craig Karmazin wises up eventually and relieves him of his job.  Any number of Packers writers would make for a better sidekick than that radio tough guy hack who enjoys swinging at the people who pay his little salary.
It's what it's.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Anybody listen to Green and Gold Tolday?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:37:30 AM »
I faithfully listen to the podcast daily. Effectivety, its a "good cop, bad cop" show. Wilde is the nice guy, Johnson the enforcer. Wilde has insight, Johnson likes bloviating. It makes for informative and entertaining radio. Does Johnson sometimes overreact?  I'm just waiting for his head to go full tilt "Scanners" one of these days. Its going to happen.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Thom_Tedson

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:55:01 PM »
If you listen to Green & Gold, and don't come away feeling more informed I don't know what to say... No matter what the theatrics Bill puts on, I still think you have to appreciate Wilde and his expertise.

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:20:32 PM »
If you listen to Green & Gold, and don't come away feeling more informed I don't know what to say... No matter what the theatrics Bill puts on, I still think you have to appreciate Wilde and his expertise.

What annoys me about the show is you have a guy with awesome access to the team and then they talk to a bunch of marginal callers for half the time.  More Wilde, less callers.  I don't love Johnson, but I think the hate here is overdone.  He actually was saying the Packers were better than most fans were giving them credit for all season, especially after wins.  I don't see how that is making it "worse for fans."

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:37:43 PM »
I faithfully listen to the podcast daily. Effectivety, its a "good cop, bad cop" show. Wilde is the nice guy, Johnson the enforcer. Wilde has insight, Johnson likes bloviating. It makes for informative and entertaining radio. Does Johnson sometimes overreact?  I'm just waiting for his head to go full tilt "Scanners" one of these days. Its going to happen.

It's not good cop bad cop.  It's good radio bad radio.  Johnson speaks to nobody in his audience.  He bags on Packers fans constantly, cherry picking fringe comments (some only theoretical, he just "knows" what some fans think).  That is entirely his shtick.  It appeals to nobody.  I very much hope Karmizin relieves him of his job on G&G today sooner than later.  There is no other radio or podcast host who has his negative attitude towards fans.  And yet he needs us way more than we need him. 
It's what it's.

Offline Yuletide

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »

What annoys me about the show is you have a guy with awesome access to the team and then they talk to a bunch of marginal callers for half the time.  More Wilde, less callers.  I don't love Johnson, but I think the hate here is overdone.  He actually was saying the Packers were better than most fans were giving them credit for all season, especially after wins. 

Right. It's always about how stupid fans are, with that guy.  Any fringe viewpoint, any strawman that he may never have actually heard from any fan, he pounces on it and gleefully accuses all fans of similar stupidity.  It's such a drag.  It became old long ago.  There does not exist a single other Packers radio or podcast host who's so caustic and antagonistic towards fans.  And he's the sidekick on the first daily Packers radio show ever, hosted by a great insider voice.  He single handedly brings it down substantially.  It's ridiculous.
It's what it's.

AJG

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
Nah - I appreciate both Bill Johnson and Jason Wilde...  Listen to the show or podcast daily.

They each have their own style - and play off each other well.  I usually get a laugh at whatever Bill is yelling about on a given day.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »
It's not my cup of tea. I prefer an actual debate rather than just a bunch of bickering and the occasional enlightened statement from Wilde. During the few times I listened I felt they should take more or better quality calls. It seems like they often pick the easy targets for Johnson and usually have nothing constructive to say.

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:43:42 PM »
Bill Johnson announced his 'retirement' from G&G Today yesterday.  Really hope they look for a decent replacement and don't just use the producers or the other fill-ins they've had.  Be nice to have some decent back and forth instead of just Wilde Wilde-ing.

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 01:51:13 AM »
Bill Johnson announced his 'retirement' from G&G Today yesterday.  Really hope they look for a decent replacement and don't just use the producers or the other fill-ins they've had.  Be nice to have some decent back and forth instead of just Wilde Wilde-ing.
It has been disappointing that they do fill in with producers.  It has definitely weakened the show.

The thing that I liked about Bill is that when he was actually at press conferences he asked more difficult questions.

I access that show and others through the Packernet podcasts on my iPhone.  The other interviews that Bill Michaels, amongst others, does is what I find more valuable.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline #66

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 11:18:47 PM »
This show will be ending in August. Wilde and Tauscher will then be unveiling a new radio show that will be twice as long and available as a podcast.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. - Vince Lombardi

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 03:52:32 PM »
This show will be ending in August. Wilde and Tauscher will then be unveiling a new radio show that will be twice as long and available as a podcast.

Awesome.  Much better.

Offline Thom_Tedson

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 01:47:21 PM »
I really, really dislike the new version of this show. It's called "Wilde and Tausch" now, but should be called "Pandering to Tauscher." I gave the show a few weeks to start working, but I unsubscribed to the podcast after 5 years of listening to Green and Gold Today.

I suspect local Wisconsinites may feel differently about the show, since it's covering the local sports scene much more. I've just been annoyed at the number of toothless, puff-piece interviews and discussions. It feels like everyone is walking on pins and needles around Tauscher, and he really doesn't have much to add besides a player's perspective being presented as definitive. (I think is easy to guess a players perspective most of the time anyway).

I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:54:25 PM by Thom_Tedson »

Offline mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 02:26:33 PM »
I really, really dislike the new version of this show. It's called "Wilde and Tausch" now, but should be called "Pandering to Tauscher." I gave the show a few weeks to start working, but I unsubscribed to the podcast after 5 years of listening to Green and Gold Today.

I suspect local Wisconsinites may feel differently about the show, since it's covering the local sports scene much more. I've just been annoyed at the number of toothless, puff-piece interviews and discussions.

I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same.

I don't know how you can tell, they are only giving us like 40% show in podcast form.  What the hell?  If it is an advertiser thing, I get it--but I hope they aren't claiming it is a technical problem.  From the bits I've heard, it's OK.  They definitely get better player interviews than the old format.

I listened to the old G&G today, but never really liked the format too much.  Wilde picks two topics, opines about them (and Johnson if he bothered showing up) for the first two segments and then some idiot callers chime in.  Maybe do Skeptic or Believer at the end.  Meh.  Was complete garbage with just millenial producer to bounce things off. 

I am still hopeful that a) they will post the whole show and b) it will get better.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 02:46:36 PM »
I am still hopeful that a) they will post the whole show and b) it will get better.

I've also found ESPN only posts bits and pieces of the show, not the whole thing. Which is annoying. I can understand that advertisers want to maximize their audience, but unless its a really outstanding deal, there is no way I'm traveling from Texas to Wisconsin to buy something. But as far as mechanics or work on a house, if their estimates are better than the locals, they're willing to commute at no extra cost, then by all means, I'll certainly consider them.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid