September 23, 2017, 06:01:33 AM

Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Chiefs vs Packers Game Day Thread  (Read 27344 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
The OFFICIAL Chiefs vs Packers Game Day Thread
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:37:51 AM »
Another week, another challenge. Or challenges. Rodgers will have to be Houdini again this Sunday, because KC has a strong defensive rush. Meanwhile, Jamaal Charles is a clone of Forte, who gouged the Packers for 105 yards in the first half of the Bears game. OTOH, the Packers tackling has improved dramatically. Rest Lacy? Will Adams be at full speed? Lots of questions. Monday night will give us the answers.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline B

• HOF Member
Re: The OFFICIAL Chiefs vs Packers Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:42:16 AM »
I thought we were waiting on this game day thread?

I am certainly willing to defer to tradition and to my long-time Packer brother ricky, and have my unofficial thread merged below if we are not.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »
We will reopen the Game Day thread on Game Day.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »
This will be as tough of a test as last week's game.

Kansas City can really get after the QB, and does a great job at stopping the run. Will be tough sledding for Starks, and Lacy if he plays. I'd really like to see Rodgers unleash early in this one and be aggressive downfield.

On offense, Kansas City does a solid job of controlling time of possession, and controlling the ball, minus last week. Can't allow Charles to get outside with his speed.

Should be a close one, looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:00:42 PM by GBRoCk2 »

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
  • PackerChatters Site Owner
    • PackerChatters.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
Open for comments.

Obviously need a W to keep the lead in the NFC North.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
Burnett now listed as OUT for tonight's game. Not a great sign, as it means HHCD will have to play SS where he is not as good in run support.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »
Defensive key: stopping Jamaal Charles. He is more similar to Forte than Lynch, so that could be a problem. That and the loss of Burnett.

Offensive key: stopping/slowing down the KC pass rush. That will mean that the tackles will have to at a minimum use the momentum of the rushers to push them outside/wide, so AR can step up. Though if they bull rush, which Bakhtiari seems to have a real problem with handling. Of course, both sides know what the strengths and weakness of their opponent is, and will be looking to shore up their weaknesses, and exploit the weaknesses of their opponents.

Offline B

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
IMO the number one key to success tonight will be for the Packers to come out and assert a physical dominance and get the home crowd dishing up some home cooking in the noise department.

Kansas City has a good team, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Packers and Chiefs replaying this game in the 50th edition of the Super Bowl on ‎February 7, 2016, at ‎Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

Should be a GREAT game.

clap) I am definitely READY FOR SOME FOOTALL!!!  cheese)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:21:08 AM by B »
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 09:13:04 AM »
Kansas City has a good team, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Packers and Chiefs replaying this game in the 50th edition of the Super Bowl on ‎February 7, 2016, at ‎Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

KC in the SB? A little early to be hitting the sauce, isn't, B?  ;)

Offline SunshinePacker

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »
Burnett now listed as OUT for tonight's game. Not a great sign, as it means HHCD will have to play SS where he is not as good in run support.

To balance that out though, against the Chiefs you don't really need a free safety with Alex Smith at QB. Packers should really just let a linebacker and Clinton-Dix cover Kelce and let the other nine guy focus on Jamal Charles. Maclin is really good but Smith doesn't really like wide receivers very much for some reason.

Kelce is gonna be a tough cover for the Packers. Going into the season I thought Charles would be the biggest threat but Raji has surprised me and if Raji continues to play like he has, then hopefully Charles won't have a huge day (also, I'm playing against him in fantasy football so I might not be entirely objective on this). Kelce on the other hand could be a nightmare. Last season it was Kelce, not Gronk, who lead all tight ends in yards after contact and that could be a real problem against a Packer's defense that's not exactly loaded with terrific tacklers.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »

To balance that out though, against the Chiefs you don't really need a free safety with Alex Smith at QB. Packers should really just let a linebacker and Clinton-Dix cover Kelce and let the other nine guy focus on Jamal Charles. Maclin is really good but Smith doesn't really like wide receivers very much for some reason.

Kelce is gonna be a tough cover for the Packers. Going into the season I thought Charles would be the biggest threat but Raji has surprised me and if Raji continues to play like he has, then hopefully Charles won't have a huge day (also, I'm playing against him in fantasy football so I might not be entirely objective on this). Kelce on the other hand could be a nightmare. Last season it was Kelce, not Gronk, who lead all tight ends in yards after contact and that could be a real problem against a Packer's defense that's not exactly loaded with terrific tacklers.

We did a solid job vs. Bennett in week 1, whose TD came late. In week 2, I don't know if we did a great job vs. Graham because he wasn't targeted, or we just covered him well.

I haven't felt great about Shields this year, but I'm OK with him shadowing Maclin most the game and focusing most of our coverage on Kelce and beefing up the front 7 to stop Charles.

I'm most worried about keeping Aaron upright, than stopping the Chiefs offense.

Feeling a close win tonight.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 10:31:50 AM »
Defensive key: stopping Jamaal Charles. He is more similar to Forte than Lynch, so that could be a problem. That and the loss of Burnett.

Offensive key: stopping/slowing down the KC pass rush. That will mean that the tackles will have to at a minimum use the momentum of the rushers to push them outside/wide, so AR can step up. Though if they bull rush, which Bakhtiari seems to have a real problem with handling. Of course, both sides know what the strengths and weakness of their opponent is, and will be looking to shore up their weaknesses, and exploit the weaknesses of their opponents.

Well said. Even with a good back, though, he's not likely to be ripping off big gains all the time.  Kansas City will often run on first and/or second downs, and put themselves into 3rd-and-manageable.  It's going to be on some of those 3rd-and-3/4/5 type situations where I'd love to see some stops. 

Offensively, the pass pressure is going to be significant.  But Houston isn't going to get 20 sacks.  Need to limit the sacks, avoid the sack-paranoid false-starts and holding penalties, and then need to convert on enough of the plays that don't get pressured to get things done. 

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »
Hate Monday Night games now that I live abroad... game starts at 9:30pm local time.

Packers will have to limit Charles on defense and Chiefs pass rush on offense.  Hope Packers can finally get a win vs Chiefs in Lambeau.

Offline AZPackfan

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
Since SB 1 Chiefs have had packs number. Packers have only won 2 or three games vs. Chiefs since; makes me rather nervous.
"Wherever you go, you represent the team. You will talk like, you will look like and you will act like the most dignified professional in your hometown" - Vince Lombardi to his players.

Offline Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »
Tonight's game has me nervous too - even more than I was before the Seattle game.    :(